The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Going to Horry County/Myrtle Beach SC mid Nov... anyone need exercise rides?

I am going down south in a few weeks and I know I will have at least three days during my 10 day stay that I will have off of work but nothing to do. I am visiting my boyfriend who was recently hired as a Horry County Fire Fighter and he will be attending the Fire Academy between the hours of 8a-6p, I am planning on working from his house but there will be some days I do not have work and he will be gone all day. I would love to ride if anyone's horses could use schooled. I am a very experienced rider, great with green/young horses as well as the experienced show mounts. I would be able to provide photos as well as professional references.

Does anyone think this is doable or any trainers/owners would be interested? While it will be nice to get away for 10 days I hate to miss that much time in the saddle! The only catch would be that I won't have a car while on my trip. Opinions and suggestions always appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tua37516; Oct. 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added location

I can't really see anyone that you don't know offering you free saddle time but I guess it is possible. Maybe try to find a barn to take a few lessons from while you are there?

Lessons are a good idea but unfortunately not in the budget right now. I am an experienced rider and have been a working student for a few professionals but didn't go pro due to financial circumstances. Just looking to see if there's anything out there!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

there isnt....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    there isnt....
    Certainly not my intent to offend anyone or get something for nothing. Just hoping to maybe establish some new relationships in a new area since I will regularly be spending time in SC.

Just bumping up in hopes that I get lucky

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

the "isn't" part wasn't directed at you...its just that there isn't what you are looking for down there. I personally know two trainers there, and while they are wonderful, they simply do not need any additional riders.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Bumping one last time... I'll also be willing to help groom/tack/feed as well for a couple of hours while I'm there!

I would be able to provide photos as well as professional references.
    sorry, not in the market but I'd want to see video as well.

While you're there, why not visit barns to make contacts, have a "CV" you can leave with trainers so they can check before your next visit.
    I suspect that coming in for lessons would be a better ice-breaker ...

I could probably scrounge up video from last summer. I believe a have video of me showing a client's horse in the 3' Adult Ammy Hunters. I believe we were 4th out of 18. I would definitely be able to afford maybe one lesson to break the ice... I completely understand why a professional would want to do this.

Alto this is great advice overall, thank you! I wish I was going to have a car during my stay so that I could drive around and meet with the area trainers, especially as a long term move may be in the works next year!