The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack theft in ON

Cross-posting from my FB....both for ON / WNY and also in case whoever stole these items tries to sell them farther afield:

From one of Elaine Ward's students in the Toronto area:
    "To all my horse friends...please help...my truck was broken into today and all of my tack was stolen. This is pretty devastating because my 3 Schleese saddles are gone (replacement coat around $15,000) and I can' ride my horses now until this stuff has been replaced. I don't even know if I have insurance. Please help to keep an eye on this stuff if it turns up somewhere in a tack store or online: 3 Schleese saddles, 2 brown xc saddles and one black dressage, 3 sets of bow balance stirrups, 2 bridles, breast plate, navy Point 2 air vest and navy Tipperary vest, blue tub full of lead ropes, spurs, studs, etc."
    Please email me at elaine.ward@rogers.com If you come across someone trying to sell these items online like Kijiji, Ebay, or in the Tack Shops, and I will pass on your info to my student.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Keep checking kijiji. I know of 3 saddles stolen from a tack store (trial periods and wrong info given) which were recovered months later after a sharp staff member kept checking. She recognized the saddles advertised, called the police (there had been a report) and saddles were recovered (along with lots of other stolen tack!).
    Good luck! Just make sure the tack stores have all the info already..

Does she have pictures that she can post?

Pictures and serial numbers would help a lot. Especially passing out that information to tack shops in the area.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I'd go as far as letting the Middleburg Tack Exchange know as well as the locals like Bahr's and PR.

This is another posting I saw on Facebook this evening. There must be a rash of these things happening and I do notice they are both NY- albeit Long Island and Western NY.

‎"15" CRATES SQUEAK HUBER BARREL SADDLE STOLEN IN MEDFORD, NY ALONG WITH 20 OTHER SADDLES. SADDLE IS OLDER LOOKING WITH BLUE NYLON LATIGO STRAP. ALSO MY DAUGHTER'S PINK AND BLACK SYNTHETIC YOUTH SADDLE. ONE SADDLE WAS NEW LOOKING REDDISH STAINED LEATHER WITH METAL STIRRUPS. A BLACK SYNTHETIC YOUTH SADDLE WITH ZEBRA PRINT WAS ALSO WITH THE LOT. PLEASE HELP US FIND WHO DID THIS!!!! CALL OAKWOOD FARM 631-289-6235 OR JANE MCCARTHY 631-375-8835 IF ANYONE HEARS ANYTHING. THANK YOU!!!"

Just posted on Elaine's Facebook:
    Crime does not pay, especially with a close knit group like the horse community. Saddles and tack recovered 90%. Guy arrested 1/2 hour ago. Can't release any more details until later when we get the clear to do so.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

We had a bunch of tack stolen here in Ohio last week.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaret SK View Post
    Just posted on Elaine's Facebook:
    Crime does not pay, especially with a close knit group like the horse community. Saddles and tack recovered 90%. Guy arrested 1/2 hour ago. Can't release any more details until later when we get the clear to do so.
    Where's the LIKE button!
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

That's great!

Great.
    A Barnsby saddle has gone missing in our barn in the last week. We are a very private barn, at the end of a long driveway going past two houses! The owner came to ride on Friday and her saddle was gone. Since her daughter rides too, the BO assumed the saddle was missing because the daughter had taken it home. Nope... now who??? Nobody left on good or bad terms! The girth was left behind...

So glad the tack was recovered!

Hey everyone,

I'm posting on behalf of the tack owner. It's true that the 2 XC saddles were recovered (yay!!) but the dressage saddle is still missing. Here are the specs:

Schleese Victory Saddle
    18" black
    Serial #: 10440S0511

Thanks so much for keeping an eye out!!!

Interesting that the owner does not want the serial no. posted on emg, but
    Coth is ok?

Don't know about the EMG thread, but when I mentioned this thread to her, she specifically asked me to post the serial number and description here. I think she might be a bit leery of how much to say given there is a police investigation, but that's just my opinion.