The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Retirement farms in GA?

Does anyone know of any retirement farms in GA? I would prefer north of Atlanta but location is not a huge deal if it is the right situation.

Thanks in advance!

Does your horse have special needs? I have quite a bit of experience with taking care of elderly horses and could board one. I am near B'ham, AL. I currently have a 24 y.o., 23, y.o, 20 y.o, and 19 y.o. I've lost several that I had all or most of their lives that lived to 30+.
    PennyG

Four Seasons Farm is a nice HJ barn that also does retirement boarding. They're off 441 about halfway between Madison and Athens and it's a Madison mailing address.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I know Stephanie Free at Step-N-Free in Fayetteville takes some retirees. Here website seems to be down but her info is on the GHJA site. Would love to hear waht you find as I'm a year or so from needing an Atlanta retirement farm too.

I board at Step N Free, and have been there for over ten years. Very competitive pricing and a great atmosphere. Barn owner is extremely knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to the horses' well being and overall care. PM me, and I can send you her information if interested.

Edited to add: we are located on the southside. Many commuters board from the northside however. We are 30 minutes from Atlanta, very close to the exit off of 85.
    Last edited by HunterJumperGin; Oct. 26, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Thoroughbreds: classic

Turn. N. Burn.

How far north of ATL? There is a private farm in Jasper, GA....excellent care, low key, and excellent pricing.

Plenty of experience with retired and older horses...also has a ring and jumps and plenty of trails if you need places to ride.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

I board my retired boy at a retirement farm in Ballground. The lady is Swiss, has a ton of experience with horses, and is great with my pushy guy. I rest easy knowing he's very well taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect10 View Post
    I board my retired boy at a retirement farm in Ballground. The lady is Swiss, has a ton of experience with horses, and is great with my pushy guy. I rest easy knowing he's very well taken care of.
    This is where my retiree is too. I don't think there are any open stalls right now, but the care there is absolutely superb! I'm picky about my horses' care and this particular horse has had many weight and anxiety issues at other places, but I never ever worry about my high-maintenance guy falling apart there.