The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Name help for new kitten

Yashi, my cat, has been showing signs lately of separation anxiety so I decided to see if a buddy would help with things while I'm at work. Well, the new guy (dubbed "Felix" by the rescue) came one night last week for a "dinner date." That went well so he came back Friday night for a "sleepover." Well, he hasn't left and likely won't. Yashi is in kitty love! Yes, there's been some scruffing/humping (new fella purrs the whole time--weird!!) and a mild scuffle or two, but there's been LOTS of play, sharing of toys, snuggling, mutual grooming, etc. Basically, new fella is doing everything he can to make sure he's a permanent resident and Yashi would absolutely mutiny if I took his bff away. It's a conspiracy!!!

But if new fella is going to stay, he needs a new name. In my animal world, "Felix" has been taken already. Because he's a tuxedo and mostly black, I started thinking of black-associated names: "Parker" for Parker ink pens. But he's such a flamer (said lovingly!) that I thought about "Harvey" after Harvey Milk (kinda cool for a cat!). I also thought about "Winston" because he's got bushy white eyebrows like Winston Churchill. Basically, my thought process has been all over the naming map. I'm open to any ideas. Oh, and if you're curious, Yashi came from Takeru Kobayashi because I've never seen any creature (ponies included!) who's as serious about his food.

Pics are here and are viewable to everyone: https://plus.google.com/photos/11545...92543596033089
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

James Bond-( for his Tux)

Oreo

Romeo

Casbah

Pepe (like the skunk)

Martini- (i associate that with black tie)

Will (from Will and Grace- gay handsome guy)

Magic- (magicians often are in a tux/tophat)

What about Bruce? As in Bruce Wayne, Batman. He has the tux for Bruce and the mask for batman.

Lionel
    I thought of the line from one of his songs when I read your post:
    "Hello, Is it me you're looking for?"
    And of course the last line:
    "Let me start by saying I Love You."

I work with a Lionel so that might be odd. But I like Bruce and Martini.

The white under his chin reminded me of a stock tie, but I couldn't work that into a name to save my life.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

Martini shortened to Martin.

It just seems to fit him, IMO!

I have no names for you, but let me say, Yashi has a gorgeous coat!!

Bob!
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

Thanks MoH!

I've been trying out all of these options on him--so far, nothing has stuck, but they are all great ideas.

They are both gorgeous!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Four white feet?

Spats

Like Tux mentioned above, for Tuxedo

Frank or Dino, for a Rat Pack Theme

Topper, Fred Astaire

Getting off the above theme:

Holligan, Hal for short

Glad they are getting along. The matriarch of our two I think still wishes the young upstart would go away- although we got the (then) young one as company when the last older cast past over the bridge. I think she'd welcome and miss at the same time. Cats......

Thanks so much for all of the good options. I'm still not having luck with anything "sticking," but I've been brainstorming (and googling) famous sidekicks. New fella is a such a partner-in-crime to Yashi that I thought going with something like Barney (Rubble/Fife) or Tonto or Gilligan or Balki, but I'm still searching...

Why, oh WHY didn't this come with a warning - cuteness overload! I wuv your newbie and his new pal! No name suggestions - sorry!
    Last edited by JumpQH; Oct. 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Typo

Thanks! I think I sett;ed on Ferdinand last night--for the bull and in honor of the horse. The kitten is such a lover, not a fighter that it seems perfect. And has LOTS of nickname potential.

1 members found this post helpful.

Love the new name - he looks like my guy, Sylvester's, twin. Sylvester came with his name. Hubby calls him Syl or Sal and I call him Vestie. My guy is a bit of a "flamer" in a good way as well. LOVES to be humped by my male chihuahua and "assumes the position" to encourage said humping lol. I think it feels good on his back and he likes to be hugged. My Sylvester was a stray who became a barn cat at hubby's work until they found out that he is declawed and was getting beaten up by the other cat (the other barn cat's name is 50 Cent lol). We took him home and found out he is a furniture/bed/rug peer-oner, so that is probably why someone dumped him. He is such a sweetheart and I worked with him for about a year and he has been good now for over a year. Funny that he also rules the roost with my other indoor cats - even without the claws, he is boss.

Here is my Sylvester:
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...r/IMG_1733.jpg
    with his best buddy, Oscar:
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...vester/068.jpg

Congratulations on a great solution to your other cat's anxiety!

Such a cutie! And they could totally be brothers!

I love how the picked on ones often take over.

I adopted a new kitten a week ago, after bluedejavu wisely decided to keep Hope. I picked him up at lunch from a co-worker and kept him in a copier paper box. Her husband said if he wasn't gone that night he'd go to the pound, so I couldn't wait until the next day and bring a crate. Anyway, his name is Jack. Jack in the Box. And Jack is nimble and Jack is quick!

StG

1 members found this post helpful.

StG---LOVE it! Now we nnnneeeeeeeeddd pics!!

Jinx, or Hijinks for short (or you could switch if you're not weird like me and want longer nicknames) would go with mischief (and the black coloring).

Aw, they are both so cute! Good luck with your new addition
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05