The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default your input needed!

currently redoing some of my rules for the barn (they were written 5+ years ago and some policies have changed .) Does anybody have any rules that they have at their barn that they would like to share?

No jumping outside of lessons

Helmet required if under 19.

Helmet required on all horses not owned by the rider.

No handling of other peoples horses without permission

Clean up after yourself

Lots more but those are the big ones.

No glass containers!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

If you take it out you put it back, now not later.
    If gate is closed, close it.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Two signs at our barn are -

"Unattended children will be sold as slaves"

"No chipping"

They may be just for fun but I think often things like that can be taken seriously too. Especially the unattended children.

I saw another one that I thought was cute -

"Do not feed your fingers to the horses."

Another that I think is important especially when you share a space with others is "horses have the right of way"

Also helmets when riding.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

No cell phone use while mounted, though some trainers/boarders don't think this applies to them. I really don't want them wandering around bareback, texting, during my jump lesson.

You might want to have hours of operation for your barn if you want to keep boarder traffic confined to certain times.

Also, you might want to post your state's horse law in your waiver, your barn rules, and on a sign (i.e: "Equestrian activities are inherently dangerous activity and the rider assumes the risk, etc. etc.)

Another good one: All visitors must sign a waiver, no exceptions.

All of those handling horses must wear closed toe shoes.

Children left unattended will be sold to the circus

I'd add "Clean up cross ties before you leave them." and your visiting dog policy.

Almost goes without saying but "No Smoking."

My favorite at the barn I was boarding at was "If you find it open, leave it open. If you find it closed, leave it closed."

One I would initiate were I a BO is "If you make a mess, clean it up." (IE, sweep the crossties, scoop poop/sawdust/sweep urine in the aisle.)

"If you borrow it, put it back".

If your horse leaves you a present, it is yours to clean up! (my pet peeve, I hate poop in the riding ring.)

Quote Originally Posted by GaMare View Post
    I'd add "Clean up cross ties before you leave them." and your visiting dog policy.
    (Bold mine). Big one for me! Do it now and do it properly! Many people think "Oh, I'll get it when I get back." But three other people could come and go from it in the time you are gone. Clean up before you leave the area.

I don't know how to word it as a rule, but I have a big thing with people being untidy, especially in the barn aisle. Maybe "Keep your horse's stall tidy" or something along those lines (to me this means fold and hang your blankets neatly, hang your halter and lead up neatly, etc).

Also, a big one for me and one I am always tempted to institute "Always lead horses WITH A LEAD ROPE AND HALTER." Too many people seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to just lead their horses with their halter only. Not safe, at all.

Related advice... I would tell as many boarders/students as you can about the impending rules, especially your best ones. Maybe they even have a couple they recommend. This will go a long way in avoiding any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. And it will encourage them to come to you instead of discussing amongst themselves...!!

My current BO takes great care of the horses but sometimes mucks the personal stuff pretty royally. By shoving rules and price lists into all our trunks, for example, causing boarders to feel uncomfortable. Recently she gave us all bills for our vet, calling her a "friend" and prefacing the note with "Dear Customer." The juxtaposition of friend vs customer was just... Weird. After so many years with this BO, through multiple facility changes, this was just pretty lame. "Client", "Boarder", "horse owner", or my name would have been more appropriate in this context.

Just wanted to chime in as a boarder, two break dealing rules for me are no jumping outside of lessons and hours I can go to the barn. Jumping outside of lessons obv depends on the program but I find it over bearing, regardless. After all it is my horse and I shouldn't be told what I can't do when it has nothing to do with safety etc but like I said program dictates. Would be a deal breaker for me.

Limiting hours is just silly imo, there's so many people like myself who work and go to school or have kids etc and can't get to the barn until later at night.

"If you're screaming, you better be dying."
    "If you're smoking, you better be on fire."
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Good point about hours... In my case the new rules gave hours that would preclude me from weekday riding because of my work schedule!! I was worrying about having to leave when the BO said they were "guidelines" and she understood my case.

Soooo... Be careful about putting very restrictive hours and discuss with at least your most impacted boarders or they may leave...

I find not being able to come to the barn later or on certain days to be extremely impactful... I work a corporate job and can't arrive to the barn until 6:30-7pm, so if the barn closes early I am S.O.L.!

One rule I appreciate is: "juniors may not jump outside of lessons and adults may only jump their own horses outside of lessons."

It is also a generally understood that the extent of the above rule is that you are allowed to school small x-rails/tiny verticals on your own but to leave any serious jumping practice to the trainer in your lessons.

My BO has a sign that says something along the lines of "you are not in a spectator area, and all persons are covered under equine liability law" or something like that in her barn. I like it. It's a standard barn sign and hangs right next to the equine liability law sign.

Her other rules are:
    1. clean up after yourself and your horse; clean up after your vet and farrier.
    2. if your horse poops anywhere other than the stall or paddock, you must clean it up.
    3. helmets required when mounted ((she did allow DH to cross out and initial this part of the boarding agreement for himself...))
    4. no abuse of animals permitted, any person abusing a horse will be asked to leave immediately.
    5. no loose dogs
    6. no smoking in the barn.

She has a few others that I don't like, such as not allowing a horse to drink after exercise, but it's a good list. I've had similar lists. I never require helmets for adults, even though I wear one.

Just make sure whatever rules you have, that you follow them also. I WANT to have the rule of scooping the pooping in any part of the facility, including arenas, but when we have our own place, I know DH won't do it. He doesn't do it now and I've fussed at him for leaving his poop in the BO's DRIVEWAY and claiming "I didn't see it." Um, you drove OVER IT .

A rule I've had in the past is to not leave a horse unattended in crossties. It covers accidents and people who hog grooming/wash stalls. No loose dogs/children. Do not feed other peoples' horses (a biggie for me). Do not handle other peoples' horses w/o permission from owner or Owner (me). No jumping alone. Minors under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

In previous barns I have managed, we have had hours as to when ring lights could be on. In one facility, it was because we had outdoor ring lights that were pretty close to the BO's family home. They had to two grade schoolers, and didn't want ring lights on at all hours of the night, disturbing early bed times (the shut off time was 9, which was perfectly reasonable and even our latest riders could get their rides done before that).

At the last barn I managed, we wanted lights out by a certain time (I think we said 10), only because the indoor was a ways from the barn and main house. If lights were still on at 11, it was an indication for someone to go check to make sure there wasn't anyone unconscious in the middle of the ring. Again, this was perfectly reasonable for all our boarders (most riding was done by 8, anyway).

At either place we never had "barn hours"...you could be there as late or early as you wanted, as long as the ring lights were out by the designated time.

My current barn does not have any "lights out" rules, which rarely really matters. I've had one instance were a client was just getting on when I came down at night check at almost 10. I felt bad for the horses, as by the time she would have showed up, they would have been all pretty sleepy. I don't like disturbing them unnecessarily (and I REALLY wish this barn had a "night light" so I didn't have to light the place up like a cathedral at night check!).

Anyway, USUALLY, if there are rules regarding hours, they are for legitimate reasons.

Our posted rules:

1. SAFETY FIRST!!

A. ALL RIDERS MUST WEAR HELMETS WHEN MOUNTED. PROPER FOOTWEAR IS REQUIRED IN THE BARN AND WHEN RIDING.

B. ADULTS: ALWAYS BE SURE THAT SOMEONE ELSE IS ON THE PROPERTY, AND IS AWARE THAT YOU ARE RIDING. IF NO ONE IS PRESENT, YOU SHOULD NOT RIDE ALONE.

C. MINORS: NO RIDING UNLESS AN ADULT IS IN THE RING OR SEATED RINGSIDE AT ALL TIMES WHEN YOU ARE RIDING.

D. IF A RIDER FALLS, OR A RIDER IS ON A HORSE THAT IS RUNNING OUT OF CONTROL, ALL OTHER RIDERS IN THE RING ARE TO HALT IMMEDIATELY UNTIL THE SITUATION IS RESOLVED.

E. NEVER ENTER THE BARN WHILE MOUNTED; DISMOUNT AND LEAD YOUR HORSE THROUGH THE BARN.

F. NO SMOKING IN THE BARN AT ANY TIME.

2. BARN PROCEDURES:

A. PICK HOOVES IN THE STALL BEFORE BRINGING YOUR HORSE INTO THE AISLE. THIS WILL KEEP THE AISLE CLEAN AND REDUCE FLIES IN THE GROOMING AREAS.

B. AFTER GROOMING, RETURN ALL BRUSHES, HOOF PICKS, ETC., TO THE GROOMING BOXES, OR TO YOUR TACK LOCKER OR TROLLEY, BEFORE YOU TACK UP. DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN THE AISLE.

C. AFTER TACKING UP, HANG YOUR HORSE’S HALTER ON ITS DOOR BEFORE GOING TO THE RING. NO HALTERS DROPPED IN THE AISLES, PLEASE!

D. IF YOUR HORSE MAKES A MESS IN THE AISLE OR WASH RACK, FIND A SHOVEL AND CLEAN IT UP IMMEDIATELY. COURTESY COUNTS!

E. RESPECT FOR OTHERS’ PROPERTY IS IMPORTANT! DO NOT USE OR “BORROW” ANY TACK, EQUIPMENT, BANDAGES, SOAPS, HOOF OIL, OR OTHER SUPPLIES THAT BELONG TO A PRIVATE OWNER, WITHOUT PERMISSION.

F. YOUR WELL-BEHAVED DOG IS WELCOME, BUT MUST REMAIN ON A LEASH OR UNDER SIMILAR RESTRAINT AT ALL TIMES.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION! LET’S RIDE AND HAVE FUN!!!!