The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Supply and demand: am I a sucker for owning a horse right now?

This is a bit of a rant. I am injured (not HR) and can't give my horse any more than a walk work out. He needs more.

One problem is that between the 10 or 11 riding teachers/trainers at my barn, only two of them can or will ride the horse for you. Neither of these two is particularly skilled or refined in their riding. Kind, fearless, patient, yes, but there is no one there who can teach my horse a flying change, for example. And because there are only two of them, they are extremely busy. One has young kids and physical limitations. The other has a second job and as I said, huge heart but holes in her skills.

So basically there is no horse trainer there. And this month, when I really needed someone to ride my horse for me, there was no room at the inn.

Second problem: because the are no horse trainers, they have former clients riding the horses for free. Great riders who do the horses good, but it means they are not hiring another trainer.

There are always horseless teenagers around, like any barn. But because of the plethora of horses needing to be ridden, the ones who are good and who you'd love to give your horse to ride a few days a week are simply too busy.

So, there is no one I can pay to ride him, and there aren't enough good riders to go around.

The solution would be to half-lease, right? But everyone I have approached to half lease has declined my offer because they have so many horses to ride for free. Why buy the cow, etc. And it's. to the horse. He's a safe, sane, versatile, but green at jumping.

I have asked around the local barns and trainers, and things are the same all over.

What's it like for you?
    Last edited by Break-away Alter; Dec. 26, 2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Recount on the # of trainers

Revised and bumping

I'm horseless Send him to Memphis! My poor A/O soul horse broke and is at my show barn. Im having the opposite problem: I'm looking for a hunter to borrow for free for a few months. I *hopefully* start vet school in June, so I won't have the time to be buying a baby right now to bring along.

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, but I do understand

Is there really not another barn in the area with either a junior or a trainer to get on him?
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Maybe cast a larger net? Place an online add?

I grew up as a working student – was one of the teens you described, lots of nice horses available to me to ride for free, and sometimes too many to juggle!

Then I graduated college – moved to a new city 400 miles away, didn’t have a horse of my own, and didn’t have any local horse connections.

I looked at online adds, and found no less than three horses which I could ride for free (like you, owners had one issue or another and could not ride).

So, maybe try an online add? You might find an experienced rider that is outside of our current connections.

It's an interesting topic.

My daughter is 12, so our experience is from the point of view of pre-teens who are still learning how to jump small courses... It seems there are a large number of parents who are willing to commit the time/money to once a week lessons. A much smaller number will facilitate the kid having two rides per week, and it is the rare family that will commit to a half-lease. I think horses are just so disproportionately expensive compared to other kid activities-- if the parent doesn't independently love horses, they can't justify it.

As a new horse owner, we certainly hope we will be able to find a kid to half-lease the horse when the time is right...

This may not be an option for you, but have you thought about letting your horse be used for lessons? You say there are 10 or 11 riding instructors - maybe they could fit him in the program? Obviously, this would depend on many factors (students who are good enough to ride him without ruining a greenbean, the horse being ok with possibility of many different riders, a solid contractual agreement that protects you and the horse - just like you'd do for a half-lease, etc). But, it might be an option you can look into.

Sorry to hear you're hurt - please take care of yourself! Heal up, and best of luck finding a way to get your boy exercised!

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Is there really not another barn in the area with either a junior or a trainer to get on him?
    Not with a trainer I know or would trust. Also, the barn is walking distance from my house. It's hard to think of moving him. It's like family.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Maybe cast a larger net? Place an online add?

I grew up as a working student – was one of the teens you described, lots of nice horses available to me to ride for free, and sometimes too many to juggle!

Then I graduated college – moved to a new city 400 miles away, didn’t have a horse of my own, and didn’t have any local horse connections.

I looked at online adds, and found no less than three horses which I could ride for free (like you, owners had one issue or another and could not ride).

So, maybe try an online add? You might find an experienced rider that is outside of our current connections.
    That is a really good idea. I have been reluctant to do that because I keep thinking someone will work out, or someone's horse will be laid up and they will need a mount temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsegirl's Mom View Post

As a new horse owner, we certainly hope we will be able to find a kid to half-lease the horse when the time is right...
    The stepping stone to horse ownership is a half lease. Any of the lesson horses that can pack a kid around are available for a half lease. So if your horse is a packer, you should have no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyRide View Post
    This may not be an option for you, but have you thought about letting your horse be used for lessons? You say there are 10 or 11 riding instructors - maybe they could fit him in the program? Obviously, this would depend on many factors (students who are good enough to ride him without ruining a greenbean, the horse being ok with possibility of many different riders, a solid contractual agreement that protects you and the horse - just like you'd do for a half-lease, etc). But, it might be an option you can look into.

Sorry to hear you're hurt - please take care of yourself! Heal up, and best of luck finding a way to get your boy exercised!
    Thanks for the well wishes! My horse has a great temperament, but he will test his rider by conserving energy, although not in a bad way. He just needs a few taps to go, "oh, okay, you want me to TROT" but not many riders will do that. Also, he has very dressage-y movement for a TB. He will make a great school horse someday, but he's only been off the track for 2 1/2 years, so it's too soon. I don't want to set him back.

I might have missed this, but why not offer to PAY one of the good teenagers to ride your horse? When I was a kid I did this all the time. I guarantee that this will move your horse higher on the priority list. :-)

Thumbs down

A horse doesn't "need" to be ridden. Given enough room to move around, they will take care of themselves.

I'd rather turn my horse out for the time it takes to recover than have him pick up bad habits.

I have, in the past, paid a very talented young rider to work my horse. However, you need to find someone who doesn't care about their amateur status.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.