The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

Default Another feed thread! Help me find a replacement for my extruded feed....

My feed store, which is notoriously flakey and gets away with it by being the only one in the area, has just informed me that they'll no longer be carrying my brand of feed, and they have one bag left. I buy 3 bags a week, have for 5 years, but they didn't care to inform me of this until now.

So of course I'm freaking out! I currently feed Brooks Pacemaker (I'm in Canada, it's a KER feed?) at the suggestion of my vet - it's for mostly older seniors and hard keepers, and is an extruded feed for horses in work - not the usual senior fare, but my horses have done brilliantly with it - brought back a 30yo from the brink, with no teeth, to a shiny, fat poster horse for health. It looks almost like dog food kibble, dissolves with soaking into a smooth paste, and I mix it with alfalfa cubes for a complete feed.

The feed store is going to be carrying Triple Crown now - I could switch to their senior, but am concerned that it's not extruded, that it won't soak down to a smooth enough consistency for old, toothless geriatrics, and it seems to have more fat and more protein.

SOOO... Is anyone here familiar with the Pacemaker feed, and would know what is comparable? Is the TC a good substitution? Will the absorbtion be affected with a non-extruded type? ANY input is greatly appreciated!

PS - here's a link to the Pacemaker specs - http://www.brooksfeeds.com/pdf/products_pacemaker.pdf

Triple Crown Senior-it may not be extruded, but it has done a great job of keeping weight on my seniors. It doesn't soak down into a paste, but a horse without teeth could definitely eat it soaked.
    I have no comment on the absorption of extruded vs non-extruded unfortunately, never fed extruded before.

If you want a paste, look at TC TLC, which is similar to Senior, but pelleted.

I didn't even look at the grain your feeding now, but I agree with TC Senior being a superior feed that will do a great job on your seniors!

It's beet pulp based, low in sugars, and high in fat. Soak it to a mash, and you'll have a consistency not much different than soaked extruded nuggets.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Okay, I just looked at your link.

The info sheet says "NSC (Very high)"

I'm not sure what "very high" is according to them, but I do know that TC Senior is considered low (11.7% NSC I believe they are, I know for sure its less than 12%).

Give the TC Senior a try, I think you'll like it!

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

Is NSC sugar content? This does have a lot of sugar/molasses - my vet said that's her only complaint, it tends to build up on teeth. My only concern is that I've heard that the TC Senior can be hard to chew/absorb for the old guys, and I don't want to having choke issues, or having the grain go right through them.

Now for the hard part - how do I switch over!? Just add a little in every day?

Blue Seal feeds have a whole bunch of extruded feeds, but I don't know if BS is sold in canada.

If you use hot water TC Senior soaks up just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneMarbleLess View Post
    I am telling Obamama!!! OBAMAMA!!!!!! SHE HURT MY FEELERS!!!!!!

I am aware of two extruded feeds, and I'm not sure if you can get either of them in Canada; but you could call them and ask. One is Thrive and the other is Wenland's One N Only.

Triple Crown TLC is pelleted and pretty similar to the Senior.

I use Senior but don't soak (no need) and I'm very pleased.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by Gil's Girl View Post
    Is NSC sugar content? This does have a lot of sugar/molasses - my vet said that's her only complaint, it tends to build up on teeth. My only concern is that I've heard that the TC Senior can be hard to chew/absorb for the old guys, and I don't want to having choke issues, or having the grain go right through them.

Now for the hard part - how do I switch over!? Just add a little in every day?
    Yes, essentially, that is what NSC is. While I've never heard of sugar or molasses building up on teeth, two concerns that come to mind with a grain high in NSC are 1) ulcers, and 2) older horses having issues with sugar content/IR/metabolic troubles as they age...like, a horse with Cushings should be on a low NSC feed.

The TC Senior soaks up nicely with hot water, very quick to break down. While I haven't needed to feed it to an oldie yet (my mare is 20 and still has all her teeth in good working order, and isn't even on any grain right now, easy keeper), I did feed it to the same mare when she lost a ton of weight from her ulcers, and I used TC Senior to get her weight back on. It worked great, was palatable for a picky eater, and soaked down great.

Contact your feed mfg and see if there is another vendor in your area. I did that with Blue Bonnet and they were great about finding someone to carry my feed for me when Tractor Supply stopped carrying Blue Bonnet

Wysong has an extruded feed. Don't know if you can get it in Canada.