The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

a NEW gymnastics book? I have the previous one and LOVE it!! Been working several of our horses through it this fall and loving it. He's coming out with a NEW one??? Where do I sign up!!? So glad ya'll had a good time.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I rode in the 1st 2'6 group on my 5yr old mare. I had actually psyched myself up a bit about how hard it might be, and had been jumping 3' at home to make sure we wouldn't be overfaced. Ended up jumping mostly 2'3 with a couple 2'6 jumps, and my mare thought everything was pretty easy. This was a very welcome, and slightly unusual experience, as my old mare was a bit on the crazy side and in clinics I was one of the ones needing extra work. This time I did everything correctly, and only did one pass through on the exercises 90% of the time. The gymnastics exercises the first day were especially helpful for me, as they were something i had not really felt comfortable doing on my own, as I had had a bad experience with a triple combination a few weeks ago that left me in the ground several times. It was really reassuring to have my mare go through a triple bounce without much fuss!

The second day we were out on a big field, using the ground terrain to give us some challenges. The fences were quite low, and again the patterns were pretty simple, but cantering down hill and over a vertical was something new for me, and it was a a good confidence building day.

Overall the tidbits I will take home from the clinic are that a good canter rhythm is the most important thing, and that I need to make adjustments, not mistakes. One thing that Jimmy had me doing that was completely opposite of my previous lesson experience is he wanted me to actually look at the ground line and top rail of the fence as I rode up to them. This is quite different than my previous instructions to always look up, as I have a tendency to jump ahead, but JW explained it that you need a fixed object with which to measure a distance from, and if you look up and not at the fence you have immesurable and infinite possibilities in terms of distances and strides. It was quite hard for me to get used to, but my mare did seem to be not taking off quite as far back, so it may have been helping! JW also was quite gregarious and funny, and everyone got a good laugh out of him messing with me by changing the color of the handkerchief he had placed on the top rail of a fence as I rode away, so when I looked back, a pink handkerchief was miraculously Blue. He had me going for about 1/2 an hour before I figured the trick out ;-)
    Here are some pics and videos my friends took.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...52234589815643

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...e=3&permPage=1

Pics: http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...7585642&type=3

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutwithchrome View Post
    JW also was quite gregarious and funny, and everyone got a good laugh out of him messing with me by changing the color of the handkerchief he had placed on the top rail of a fence as I rode away, so when I looked back, a pink handkerchief was miraculously Blue. He had me going for about 1/2 an hour before I figured the trick out ;-)
    Yes.. and in my video I posted earlier in this thread you can see him do the same thing to me. But I called him out on it.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post

The group I was in was full of nice horses and talented riders. However one rider who was clearly a bit over faced for the group we were in had a bad crash and went to hospital with a compound fracture. It was probably the worst crash I've seen. I will never forget it. I hope she's feeling better soon and that her recovery isn't too long and painful.
    Sharon is in the hospital waiting for her second surgery. She had an external fixture applied until the swelling goes down and she can have the bone set. I think they mentioned something like 10 days. Home is Nashville, but she's staying up there until she can be moved.

Tidy, I'm so glad you had a good time!

VERY sad to hear that someone got hurt so badly, however. Hoping she is A-OK in no time!

DLee, I had Jake (your buddy Under the Influence) living at my barn all last winter--hubba hubba! I am in love with him, too.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Sharon is in the hospital waiting for her second surgery. She had an external fixture applied until the swelling goes down and she can have the bone set. I think they mentioned something like 10 days. Home is Nashville, but she's staying up there until she can be moved.
    Please tell her that I hope she's feeling better very soon. I hope this doesn't keep her from riding again at some point in the future. Her brown horse is so sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Tidy, I'm so glad you had a good time!
    Thank you so much letting me go in your place. Maybe sometime we'll ride together in one of these clinics on our pinto horses.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I hope this doesn't keep her from riding again at some point in the future. Her brown horse is so sweet.
    She has been riding many, many years and has introduced many horses to the sport--and rather successfully. I seriously doubt this will keep her out of the saddle for any longer than the doctors' insist she be grounded.

subk,

I wish her the speediest of recoveries. She seems like a lovely woman.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    She has been riding many, many years and has introduced many horses to the sport--and rather successfully. I seriously doubt this will keep her out of the saddle for any longer than the doctors' insist she be grounded.
    Many years or not, it sounds like a serious injury. I hope she takes her time recovering, so that she many enjoy many more years

Dlee it was nice meeting you. Thank you for your kind words about Henny and I Sunday morning.

Regards,

John