The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ocala lessons in Jan

We are going to be in the Ocala area for a couple of weeks in Jan. DH would like to get linked up with somebody during that time for lessons and help with his new horse. He is new to combined driving as is the horse (off the track Standardbred). IMHO they need dressage work the most. But that is just my opinion.

We know the eventing folks but not the combined driving people so would like some leads, names, etc. Ideally some place that the horse can stable at so we don't have to haul from one place to another. Hook ups would be a plus but not essential.

Thanks.

Meghan- I just read that the training team at Hermitage Farm (of Goshen KY) move to FL for the winter- although I don't know where in FL. They have a FB page- maybe you can contact them?

Are you going to have your horse with you and where will you be staying while here?

Plainandtall: How other than by FB can I contact them? Hate to say it but I don't "do" FB.

49'er: Yes horse will be with us (DH's horse). And at least one of the 2 associated vehicles (2 wheeled or 4 wheeled), harness, etc. Where exactly is still open. We have a place to stay in Ocala as we have an event horse in training at Jon Holling's so we can stay there, if needed. And could prob fanagle DH's horse there too if had to. But since we are only going to be there for 2 weeks, I am expecting we will not be doing full care so being where the horse is would be far easier logistically.

I have a meeting in Orlando Jan 19-23 I have to be at (he doesn't). Don't plan on staying in Orlando but don't want to have to drive 2 hrs each way each day either to get to/from the meeting either if I can help it. And I know from past stays in Ocala that while Orlando LOOKS close, it isn't as convienent as it seems. Then the event horse will be start his season back at Rocking Horse in Altooona Jan 25-27 so we will stay for that. Meaning we would get there some number of days before the 19th and leave some few number days after the 27th. Those would be determined by what we have to or can book for lodging, stalls, lessons, etc. My job is flexible as far as time off (I don't get paid for the days off, but I don't loose my job over taking time off) and DH is retired so we are pretty flexible about things on either end of the 19th thru 27th.

And I love Ocala that time of year. 2 weeks won't be near long enough for my Ocala fix

I just emailed Hermitage. Hope to hear back. Thanks!!

Sorry about that- I always assume people alread have a FB window open and logged in- and that it's easier than googling... but Hermitage has a wonderful website too, I'll just add the link here to fill in the blanks if this thread comes back up in a seach.

http://www.hermitageitc.com/

and on FB:
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...ageITC?fref=ts

I'm not sure if they do instructing during the FL winter season, or it it's just their own personal training and competition.

Leslie and Jose have stayed at Grand Oaks in the past. Not sure about this year. Fred Merriam, Bill Lower, and many of the serious CDE competitors are located at or near Black Prong. Audrey Harknett is also near Grand Oaks. My dressage trainer, David Jay, is near Blackprong. Lots to choose from.