The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One door closes and another opens

We've heard a lot lately about people that have got screwed over when buying or selling a horse, so I thought I'd share my story which even though was devastating to me turned out to show me that some trainers and breeders are extremely generous! (warning this is fairly long and I appologize if it seems garbled but I am a little in shock )

About a year and a half ago I posted that I'd found my dream horse. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ght=le+primeur

Fast forward to about a month ago when my trainer and I decided it was just not working out. Lacey just does NOT tolerate any ammie mistakes and to top it off, is spooky AND overly careful and not brave at all (she'll stop on a dime and get you off so fast you don't even realize you've hit the ground!) I'd poured mucho $$ into training, which was ok as long as I only got on and jumped after my trainer did (whom she loves!).

After trying and trying to make it work (vet checks to rule out pain, hormone checks and saddle fitting - they all yielded just a perfectly sound horse), my trainer came to me and said "you know, this just isn't working out. We need to decide what we are going to do". Now my trainer is awesome, and felt badly because she had advised me to buy Lacey so said she would take her and train her at no charge to me and in the meantime I got her old show hunter to jump. Another girl in my barn, who is a fabulous amature rider asked if she could try Lacey so we agreed. Things were great between them for a few weeks and then the mare just shut down again! Part of me was devastated, but also glad because now I realized it was NOT just me who couldn't ride this mare!

But, now a dilemma. Here I am stuck with a horse that is amazing to ride as long as you're not jumping and I don't ride at a dressage barn! "Don't worry" my trainer said "I have a few ideas and we'll get together to talk about them". In the meantime, (unknown to me) my trainer has talked to Lacey's breeders to see if they have any ideas. And they said "bring her back and we'll find Pam something else"......When told this I was stunned! I had not bought Lacey from them as the girl who had her before me had bought her from them, but here they were with this generous amazing offer. Now, obvously I was not going to get something that was showing and winning and equal to the dollars I paid, but who cares........they were offering me a new horse!

Fast forward to yesterday, Lacey is happily back at Spruce Meadows to be a flat horse for the grooms weekly flat lessons and I am now the proud owner of a lovely little 3 yr old gelding (pics will follow tomorrow when I have my camera). Currently he's got quite the chubby hay belly and a super long coat, but he's so cute and seems to have a good head on him. He's lovely and sturdy and has good proportions and sturdy legs and is NOT going to be huge! A new name was in order as he was a "Name the Foal" baby with probably the worst name in history "Spilled Milk", so he's now known as "Sullivan" (sire is Spruce's stallion Salito), and he has a huge white blaze and 4 white socks. He's never been anywhere (of course) and only handled to bring in and out, but stands well for vet and farrier! So we managed to coax him onto the trailer and bring him home, to which he calmly looked around and stepped off the trailer and into his new barn.

I am in awe that people can be so generous and thankfull for this amazing new opportunity! Yes, when one door closes another opens and sometimes there are people that will hold that door open for you!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Congratulations - can't wait to see the photos but I think I saw him in person when we were at Spruce this Sept. I'm a sucker for the bling, and I do remember that name.

What a great story, and how lucky are you!

Wow, that's awesome! Very classy breeders.. it's nice they found a job for your mare, too. You must be very excited to have a new prospect to play with!

Your trainer sounds admirable as well.

Wow, a happy ending to a difficult situation - how great!

Awesome! Glad it worked out so well for you. Looking forward to pictures of your new baby!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

It's lovely to hear about breeders who will go the extra mile to ensure that the people who get their horses are pleased with them and who will take responsibility for the horses they produce. So happy for all of you! Have fun with Sullivan, and post lots of pix!

What a fantastic story! Congrats on the new horse!

Wow--you need to link to this thread on the Breeding forum! I bet there are a number of breeders there who will tell you that they would rather get one of their babies back then have it wind up in the wrong home, no matter what stage it is in life!

Congratulations on the happy ending for you, and both horses, old and new!

Wonderful story!! Thanks for sharing!

Congrats!! Good to know there are still such kind & generous people out there!

Wonderful story! I can't wait to see pics!

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    Wow--you need to link to this thread on the Breeding forum! I bet there are a number of breeders there who will tell you that they would rather get one of their babies back then have it wind up in the wrong home, no matter what stage it is in life!

Congratulations on the happy ending for you, and both horses, old and new!
    It sounds like these breeders did more than just take the horse back...the OP brought home a new horse. I wonder how many breeders would be willing to do a trade.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

So excited for you!

Just when I feel everyone is a selfish jerk, someone I don't know holds the door for me or says hello and then hearing this story reminds me there are good people out there.

I had a few years of bad breeders out for money and it was so sad. But that's how people either stay in business or get a bad reputation.

Good luck with your new boy and agree - where are the pictures?
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Aw I remember Spilled Milk! Such a cutie. I probably know the person who started him as well ( would have to check but probably).

Was Lacey aka Look Twice? Always wondered if that was her or not. She was one of my faves at spruce thought did catch her once or twice after she got her trainer ( another friend of mine) off while being ridden which wasn't a common occurance.

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    Aw I remember Spilled Milk! Such a cutie. I probably know the person who started him as well ( would have to check but probably).

Was Lacey aka Look Twice? Always wondered if that was her or not. She was one of my faves at spruce thought did catch her once or twice after she got her trainer ( another friend of mine) off while being ridden which wasn't a common occurance.

P.
    Yes, Lacey is Look Twice I absolutely adored her but sadly it just wasn't the right horse for me Stunning mover, but she definately likes a pro ride!

Default One Door Closes another Opens, updated with pics post 15

Alrighty pics attached. Sullivan had a very big day yesterday. One of my trainers and a barn worker, took him around had him walk in and out of the groom stalls (no issues), stood and watched the auto doors to the barn open and close, picked up his feet (very polite just took a while to get him to realize what they wanted), enjoyed a good grooming, and walked around the arenas. They said when he gets scared he just stops, no kicking no fussing, just stops LOL He's smart and has already realized that "you don't come into my space when being led unless you are invited" ..........today, turn-out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00120-20121022-1812.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	36997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00121-20121022-1812.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	36998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00119-20121022-1811.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	36999  
    Last edited by eclipse; Oct. 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added pics

You are extremely fortunate in both the breeder and the trainer. Congratulations, and have fun with your new boy.

Thumbs up

Great trainer, great breeders! How about you post who they are so they have even greater business? These people deserve publicity for being ethical and responsible.
    I applaude them and congratulate you for your great support team and your beautiful new horse.
    Congrats and good riddance!
    Last edited by faraway46; Oct. 23, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Quote Originally Posted by faraway46 View Post
    Great trainer, great breeders! How about you post who they are so they have even greater business? These people deserve publicity for being ethical and responsible.
    I applause them and congratulate you for your great support team and your beautiful new horse.
    Congrats and good riddance!
    I agree, do the breeders have a website?

Your horse looks beautiful, good luck with him!

Wow is he a looker! Love all the chrome! Good luck with him!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Quote Originally Posted by equestrian13 View Post
    I agree, do the breeders have a website?

Your horse looks beautiful, good luck with him!
    They sure do have a website as its Spruce Meadows and they definately stand behind their horses. In my case they didn't have to as I didn't buy Lacey directly from them but they are truely generous and do have a long time relationship with my trainer (our barn has quite a few of their horses that didn't fit into their program but turned into fab school or lease horses for us)