The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Winter time natural horsemanship clinic

Instead of spending all my money for not too much at the southern horse shows this winter, I would like to use a week or two of my vacation time to attend at clinic with one of the natural horsemanship trainers. I have a coming 5 yo Holsteiner/Hanoverian cross whose is beginning to give me some real dominance, go forward, I don't want to work issues. Possible too much was thrown at him last year, he had tie back surgery, went to Wellington for 2 months, was shown a little, got gelded, went to 2 shows sporadically in the summer where he was always champion or reserve in the young hunter stuff with my trainer's rider. He can be spectacular. But, now, he is back home with me and probably will be the entire winter and he resents going forward and when you really get after him, he can really blow up in a big way. I'm not a novice rider, been riding most of my life, mostly babies but this one I just don't feel like fighting (he is quite big) and would just like to unlock a 'desire' to go forward and would maybe like to learn more how to develop a relationship with my horses. They will be staying home with me this winter.

I have had some exposure to basic Parelli ground work, understand the basics, know of other BNT clinicians like Clinton Anderson, Chris Cox, etc, but I really don't want to travel too far (no more than one day---I live in Georgia) and really want it to be intense, a lot of work every day, a lot of ground work extending to effect in the saddle.

Any suggestions welcome so I can start planning! I feel I need this discipline!

He sounds like a nice fella with a good future. How about some time off for him over the winter? It sounds like he has been through quite a lot in 5 years and maybe he needs some time to just be a horse?

Or maybe instead of a week-long intesive clinic, have someone local come out and help you?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Alis volat propriis.

Bluemooncowgirl, that may be just the ticket. But, have always wanted to get better with the groundwork. And, I do live really out in the 'boonies'. Hard for someone to come to me on a regular basis.

If you're going NH I suggest Buck Brannaman over any of the others you listed.
    Quarry Rat

Where in GA? I know a really capable student of Buck's who is in NC just over the border from north GA. Don't think he has any clinics planned this fall/winter (yet--we're working on it) but could take you on at his place over a long weekend or such.

He was riding in one of Buck's recent clinics and someone with a WB was having trouble, Buck asked him to spend some time with the horse and the person outside of the class. That kind of guy. I know he's worked successfully with a number of WB type horses. Is also a pretty good teacher.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Chris Cox is coming to QC arena for three days November 2-4. Also, Kathleen Lindley winters in Camden www.kathleenlindley.com/ I also know several great instructors that are local that can help you. Where are you located?

Depending on where you are in GA, Carol Coppinger is in Tennessee. She is a 6 star Parelli Instructor. I've audited several of her clinics. If you have basic Parelli stuff down, I know she does week long intensives ("camps") at her farm in Tennessee. Her web site is http://www.carolcoppinger.com. I know she keeps her schedule on her web site. She and her husband, Les, are very prompt about answering emails and phone calls. Not to mention, she's terrific. The clinics I've audited were only 3 days each, and EVERYONE in the clinic made good progress.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

spotnnotfarm, I am located in Lincolnton, Ga, not far from Augusta, Ga. Would sure like some concentrated work, with a group would be fine but over at least a week. Would be great if there was a place to stay. I know the way I work and what my time allows. I thrive under discipline and repetition but once it is there, it's there.

If you are near Augusta, you are probably less then 5 or 6 hours from Carol Coppingers.
    Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Forget the "name" gurus. You'll pay Big Bucks for no more than a few minutes of their time.

Talk to Don Warlick at Secret Passage Ranch in VA. You'll learn more from him in three or four days than you will from any of the "pretty faces."

Go to: http://www.secretpassageranch.com/

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Thanks guys for all the advice. I can't wait to get started on my plans! Let you know how it goes!

I second the suggestion that a clinic with a 'big name' will get you a lot of lecture and very little hands on help from the 'big name' in question. If what you needs is a lot of direct help, then yes perhaps a few days of intense training with someone at their facility would be a better way to go.

On another note, I too ride a big WB that is difficult to 'make go.' The horse does, however, 'go' pretty easily, just not when ridden...

Anyhow, it's taken me several years to realize that this big, stiff beast is really very, very sensitive to the rider. She basically has to brace up and tune out in order to tolerate the non organized/not firm/conflicting aids from the average human.

Over time, she has taught me how to sit very, very still, very very firm, and be very aware of when my body may give her conflicting signals. She simply will NOT tolerate rider error, rider sloppiness, and she will not take the blame when you tell her it's her fault.

As opposed to some other horses I know, who will turn themselves inside out trying to figure out what you want no matter how badly you ride........

So I agree that good groundwork training could be very useful to you. But when it comes to riding, I might ponder whether the mechanics of the riding might need to be reconsidered.

Hey, Isabeau Z Solace! Thank you very much for your experience. This sounds so much like him. He will very willingly work on the ground, does roll backs very handily, has got a very beautiful, lofty trot and canter, a natural at his leads. It's just the riding part right now. I am trying to be VERY patient and figure this out. I just know he is going to be worth it. Did you finally make a lasting breakthrough?