The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The movie Cowboys Vs. Aliens: Question about Harrison Ford's horse

Yes, I watched the movie and was more interested in ogling the horses than Daniel Craig.

Anyway, most of the horses appeared to be the typical QHs/stock breeds you'd expect in a Western movie, but the horse Harrison Ford was riding stuck out to me. He(?) was a smaller, dark bay or black horse, with a noticeably thicker mane and tail than the others. His head seemed a bit more refined, too, though not Arab-like. I was thinking maybe Morgan-ish. Actually, almost seemed like a Paso, but the horse wasn't gaited.

I know sometimes in these movies, actors have their own horses or their own horse preference, and I seem to vaguely recall hearing Ford was a bit of an equestrian, so I figured if anyone knew anything about that horse he was riding, I'd find them at COTH.

So--anyone know anything?
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

That movie was fun, shockingly enough. Do you mean this horse?

http://www.film.com/wp-content/uploa...-Horseback.jpg

Harrison Ford became so attached to the horse he rides in new movie Cowboys & Aliens, he is "trying to buy" his trusty steed.

The Indiana Jones star plays a cowboy in Jon Favreau's sci-fi western blockbuster and spent a lot of time riding during the shoot.

Ford admits he was determined to enjoy his stint in the saddle so he "auditioned" the horses himself. And he has become so enamored with one of them, he wants to keep it permanently.

He tells the Los Angeles Times, "I came sort of 'horse ready'. I auditioned a couple of horses, three or four, before I ever came out. I found one horse that is so good - I'm trying to buy him right now. Yeah, so I'm really happy with my horse and he's relatively happy with me."
    More on the horses:
    http://www.dailycamera.com/longmont-news/ci_18676084

None of them state what the horse is, however looks like a QH to me. Often in movies they'll add "pizzazz" to the lead character's horses. Like extra chrome or covering chrome to make a black/dark horse all black. (and to hide that the part might be played by 3-4 horses) They'll also add mane and tail extensions. The star has to have the coolest ride in the scenes. Doesn't help if, during a scene with horses, the audience is more interested in looking at the prettier horse ridden by an extra, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Harrison Ford was "trying to buy" the horse? That should have been just about the shortest conversation ever. If he couldn't buy it, who could?

Yeah, I stepped away to take a shower and was thinking...derrr, do a search and post links of pictures!

So here is one decent one showing the horse's head and neck

And another

On the set talking to the director (well...Harrison is, not the horse)

And I have to say, while I was more interested in the horses, I have to admit noticing chaps do a fine job of highlighting the squeezeability of Daniel Craig's butt. (Wider shot of same image)

I noticed some of the darkening makeup on some of the horses covering up white markings, but it was on horses early in the film used for throwaway characters. I'm guessing they didn't want us to notice them using the same horse for different characters...? And it was pretty obvious in the scene where Craig was galloping alongside the ship that there was some horse switching going on.

I did read that all of the horses came from a Colorado ranch, but that was it:
    Colorado horses have a starring role in a summer blockbuster movie.

About 30 horses from the Sombrero Ranch based in Longmont are hitting the big screen in the movie “Cowboys & Aliens.”

Ranch founder Rex Walker tells the Boulder Daily Camera there are not many cowboy movies being made these days and if one is made, it would probably have aliens in it.

Although the horses were from Colorado, the movie was shot in Santa Fe, N.M.
    So, yeah, Ford's horse is probably a QH--he just looked so different from the others, I was wondering. Of course, my PB Arab looks very, very different from most PBs--people ask what breed he is, thinking he's a cross.

Cool.
    Last edited by Lauruffian; Oct. 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Harrison Ford was "trying to buy" the horse? That should have been just about the shortest conversation ever. If he couldn't buy it, who could?
    LOL, no kidding!

Lauruffian...the horse's head, neck and mane does make it look a bit different in some shots. But there are a lot of QHs out there with refined heads:
    http://www.freewebs.com/sparklingwqu...ses/flash2.jpg
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

To cross reference to the western dressage threads, Harrison's horse looks like he is going in a spade or a half-breed type bit. Did anyone notice if he had split reins or the rawhide plus romel reins?

Saw the movie a while back but sad to say I didn't notice the horse at all.

If one is training a horse Californio/vaquero style, are you looking for a horse with a slightly more upright or different build than the more open, shuffling along WP horse?

Did anyone but me notice that Craig was mostly riding a plain light bay horse, then suddenly in one scene, he's leading a blaze-faced chestnut, then when he gets back on, it's the bay. DId I miss something? Was he leading two horses, helping someone else? *G*

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    To cross reference to the western dressage threads, Harrison's horse looks like he is going in a spade or a half-breed type bit. Did anyone notice if he had split reins or the rawhide plus romel reins?
    Split reins, no chains. Probably a copy of a traditional style bit rather than the real thing - plenty of them on the market now, most with "easier" mouthpieces. Looks more like a rawhide nose caveson than a bosalito, and no get-down rope? Whoever tacked the horse probably thought it all looked "cool", thus the mixing of styles. That bridle, that bit style and those reins go together like ferragamo heels with walmart jeans.

Horses, Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig, all in one thread....YUM!!!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post

I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry