The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am willing to give farm animals a home - Virginia

If you are finding yourself overrun with farm animals that are eating you out of house and home, give me a call. I will come get them, no matter what shape they are in. Too many people are unable to pay for the upkeep of their animals anymore and get too embarrassed to ask for help. It is better to call me rather than let them starve or not get the care they need.

I have a family farm where we spend all our time with the animals. We have people who come here just to visit the animals and to show kids what farm animals look like. We can take all types of farm animals like Chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas, pigs, goats, sheep....just let us know and we will take them for you.

We do ask that any cages. supplies and/or feed come with them if possible to help us out.

We are in Southern Virginia but can travel to help out animals.

(804) 605-6381

looking for a home for a small, 6 yo gelding. dumped on me. have too many of my own. he's been used alot as a babysitter for babies and young horses. rideable..not fancy. I will have to euthanize soon, I cant afford to feed him.

Ok, this has GOT to be spam. First you say you are interested in taking in animals. Then you say you can't afford to feed one, because you have too many.

uh, those were different posters.

Abacus, talk to your local vets. I'll bet they know about lots of farm animals that could use a home.

Jane, I sent you a pm.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by hastyrebeljane View Post
    looking for a home for a small, 6 yo gelding. dumped on me. have too many of my own. he's been used alot as a babysitter for babies and young horses. rideable..not fancy. I will have to euthanize soon, I cant afford to feed him.
    Hastyrebeljane, unless you've already done this and I've missed it, why not start your own thread for this horse, add your location and a bit more detail (rideable by whom -- an advanced rider or a beginner?? Anything else he can do (good on trails?) Personality traits) and ideally some photos. That would give him a better shot at finding a home.

Good luck, it must be very difficult to have too many.

Ah, my bad. I thought they were one in the same. Regardless, I see these "I will give animals homes" posts once in awhile on FB/CL, I would proceed with lots of caution. Anyone who has had animals for awhile knows that you really don't have to seek out freebies. They kind of just fall into your lap.

Hasty, good luck with your horse.

Admittedly, I get mildly annoyed with people who only post in the giveaways section of COTH looking for stuff for free. I have gotten things from here but I've also given back. It's a community thing and maybe I'm a little territorial...

Using my dear friend Google and the phone number provided I do see the following advertisments made by the OP:

http://burnthillfamilyfarm.webs.com/contactus.htm
    http://richmond.craigslist.org/pet/3308860385.html
    http://lynchburg.craigslist.org/pet/3256372944.html (In this one you're looking for hay, feed, supplies and monetary donations for geese you elected to adopt??)

OP, I'm not rounding up a lynchmob or starting a trainwreck, but would you mind clarifying what your intentions are for the animals? Are they resale prospects, freezer fillers and/or income generators for yourself and your family or are you promising a forever home?

We've had a few unsavories around here before so we can be a bit suspicous. I didn't necessarily see anything that set my whacko-meter off so that's encouraging. I noticed you had a previous post like this without response so I think you'll be more successful if you share more information.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    . Anyone who has had animals for awhile knows that you really don't have to seek out freebies. They kind of just fall into your lap.
    Exactly this. I would view someone who is advertising with GREAT suspicion. If they aren't a bad home in the first place, they will be overwhelmed with free animals very quickly and the odds of it turning into a very bad situation are pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Admittedly, I get mildly annoyed with people who only post in the giveaways section of COTH looking for stuff for free.

I noticed you had a previous post like this without response so I think you'll be more successful if you share more information.
    Glad I'm not the only one.

However, there was a guy on our CL offering to give farm animals a free and safe home, and then turning around and selling butchered farm animals in the Farm & Garden section.

I am also leery when someone says, "we'll come get them" because in my overly-suspicious mind that says, "don't come to us, we'll come to you."

ETA: People also don't take too kindly to someone getting animals for free and turning around and breeding/selling them.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    I am also leery when someone says, "we'll come get them" because in my overly-suspicious mind that says, "don't come to us, we'll come to you."
    Ooohhhh..... Very good point. On the OP's farm website, the address given as:

If you have found something you like or have any questions or orders, please feel free to contact us:
    Address: Burkville, VA 23922

(I prefer to know when people are coming to the farm, so contact me for an address)
    I can understand both sides of the coin here. Both for privacy reasons and safety, but at the same time, she advertises a business of selling farm goods. A family member of mine also runs a home business and maintains a website. They have the address available to customers and potential customers with disclosure that hours are by appointment only and to please call to set up a time. I think that's the less shady way to do it.

thanks guys. working on a lead.

I have never had to post an ad, when I've been looking for critters either...I too, am pretty weary when I read these ads on CL, or FB.

Pish, just go into any TSC in the state, pick up a bag of horse feed, and you'll have 3 to 4 people asking if you want a horse or two!

Doesn't happen so much now since I don't buy my feed from TSC any longer, but there isn't any need to advertise for free animals. Just go to any feed/tack store, and you'll find plenty of free animals listed on the bulletin boards.

I'm wary of anyone advertising for free animals, and then in other ads begging for money and equipment. If you can't afford to care for them on your own, it's not up to others to provide for them.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I understand everyone being leary, but sometimes people just want to do good. I was in a bad situation several years ago. I told myself that one day, I would be back on my feet and would help others. That is what I want to do.

I happen to be lucky enough to have a family farm now. Completely paid off. So I take money that would have gone to rent/mortgage and put it to helping animals. It is a work in progress so I am constantly busy getting it done. There havent been animals on the property for 25 years, so yes, i do ask for extra materials that are free or cheap as it costs ALOT for brandnew fencing/supplies and I would rather try to use the money to help other animals. that post about the geese....I spent over $400 to FLY them to my farm. And I tried to get others aware of the rescue being done so others could help them too. I dont see why that is a bad thing....

Also, I let ANYONE come out and see my farm but I dont like people dropping by. It is my home and I have 3 great Pyrenees dogs that guard my flock. So knowing when people come out is important. But when anyone wants to drive out, they are welcomed. And people are welcomed to come back and visit any animal they give to us.

So dont put down people when they are just trying to help. Some people get into a bind and need a place to give farm animals to. I just want them to have a place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Abacus View Post

So dont put down people when they are just trying to help. Some people get into a bind and need a place to give farm animals to. I just want them to have a place to go.
    No one is putting anyone down. It just raises some concerns when someone joins a forum, and the only posts they have made have been looking for free animals or asking about free animals. Combine that with a website that clearly states that you sell the animals ("will be at the Tractor Supply on XYZ Road for the Swap and Sale"...."no large livestock, please") and it may bother some folks.

It's just a matter of opinion. Persons that fall on hard times may not mind if someone is taking their animal, caring for them, and then selling them, and other people may not appreciate that (regardless that it's not against the law, etc.)

If you read some of the horror stories on COTH about horses being picked up and resold, or horses being picked up by persons offering awesome homes on 100+ acre equestrian facilities, etc. only to have the horse end up seized by authorities, etc. then you would understand why people are leery.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Yes I do post about going to small animal sales at Tractor Supply. I am part of a Pet Chicken Group that hosts the swaps. If you notice, my ads have things like homemade Goats Milk Lotion...Jams and Jellies...Brunswick Stew.....Homemade Pies and goodies. I do take a few animals to sell like rabbits and chicks that I breed, but mainly we do the food at the swaps. But I advertise for the WHOLE swap and our SWAP RULES are no livestock animals, nothing bigger than a goat and such like that. But the whole point of our group is all about LOVING our Poultry and having them as pets. But we are also a farm and do sell things to make money to keep the farm running. I dont flip animals....I simply want to help if anyone is in a bad situation.

Not everyone is a horror story. Some people really are trying to help.

I was talking to someone this past weekend. He told me that a friend of his has 700 head of cattle.....and when the babies are born, there are so many of them, that if any are rejected by their mother, he just leaves them there. So they DIE in the field. His friend has NO WHERE for them to go and has in the past offered them to this guy I was talking with. but when he cant find a home quickly, he just lets them die. I was about 3 weeks too late in saving several of these calves. NOW this guy has MY number and I will take them and bottle feed any that I get. It is better than them dying! I SWEAR ON MY KIDS THAT I WAS TOLD THIS JUST THIS PAST SATURDAY! It bothered me a lot! And it did get me thinking of trying to reach others that may be in a bind...

so I do put up ads in hopes of stopping stupid things like that. And i post in different areas because you never know where people read. But that doesnt make me a bad person. It doesnt make me a flipper either. Now in the case of cows, if I got several males, I may have to sell them after they are off bottle, but that is different than flipping as I would raise them for a little while first and having too many bulls (which we would have cut) may cause problems.

I dont post here alot because I have my one gelded horse as a pet. He isnt anything special, but he is spoiled and beautiful. i dont normally take in horses/donkeys as I dont have a horse trailer so transporting is an issue. But I posted here because you never know if someone has other farm animals that need a home.

Like i said, different people look at different sites...I just want to give people an option if they need help.

Thanks for the explanation. If anyone is seriously interested in following up, they can give you a pm and make arrangements. Just be careful you do not get yourself in over your head, this winter is going to be harsh with prices shooting up and some very severe weather expected in your area, you don't want to end up as a horror story I am sure. Many of the folks who did end up as a horror story I imagine were not setting out that way either. Emotional stability is a hard item to come by these days and times. Take care.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Just my 2 cents...[I]do take a few animals to sell like rabbits and chicks that I breed,[/I] from the op...I really do not understand people who rescue and breed at the same time...why bring more into the world when you are trying to save the ones not cared for now????

And this: 700 head of cattle.....and when the babies are born, there are so many of them, that if any are rejected by their mother, he just leaves them there. So they DIE in the field. His friend has NO WHERE for them to go and has in the past offered them to this guy I w Why not help the guy get the bulls out of the field so there are not more calves born???

I currently have 31 rescued cats. Didn't have to advertise for 'em! All, spayed or neutered of course! I spend a fortune in vet bills/food and my only request is Please everyone spay and neuter! Put me out of the rescue business!