The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So, the curb chain on my hackamore broke...

on the landing side of a 3'3" oxer. On my super go-ey mare.

Obviously the reins were doing me no good, so I dropped them and contemplated bailing, when I noticed my throat latch was on the top side of her neck while the crown and the rest of the bridle was underneath.

A couple "woooaaaah mare, wooooah mare..."s and a tug or two on her new "neck strap" caused her to park it. And look back at me like I had lost my mind.

What a good girl!!

Holy smokes. Good girl!! See? All those 1/2 halt practices paid off! Good training!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    on the landing side of a 3'3" oxer. On my super go-ey mare.

Obviously the reins were doing me no good, so I dropped them and contemplated bailing, when I noticed my throat latch was on the top side of her neck while the crown and the rest of the bridle was underneath.

A couple "woooaaaah mare, wooooah mare..."s and a tug or two on her new "neck strap" caused her to park it. And look back at me like I had lost my mind.

What a good girl!!
    Holy MacGyver moment, good job!

I would have taken the first bus to lawn-dart city!
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

I had a bit break while I was cantering in a field once. I discovered that you can do a fairly effective one rein stop by grabbing the side of the bridle and pulling It's not a very good feeling suddenly having no control, is it?

I looked down to do the grab the bridle thing and it was gone from her face!! One issue with a hackamore, I suppose!

Makes me want to see what she'd do with just a neck rope. Maybe.

Or not.

This is my major fear with the hack. I love it, but I am so afraid it might break. Which kind was it?

The only time I had a hackamore break was when I was trail riding... and I was at least 3 miles from home! One moment all is fine, we're trotting along on loose rein, then all of a sudden the reins got VERY loose. A temporary from me and then I see that the hackamore itself was dangling from his face. Yikes. Luckily he has good brakes from my seat. I forget how I rigged it to sort of stay on until I got home, but it was all seat and leg from there!

Many years ago, I was galloping my OTTB in a large field - with a hackamore. The chin strap broke and the whole thing flew back in my face. It took him about 3 seconds to lower himself and fly! I tried grabbing an ear, but he just shook his head and continued running. I tried covering his eyes, but he dropped his head and kept on. About a half mile later, he tried to make the turn out the gate back to the barn, but at his speed he didn't make it. We ended up on the top of a 4 foot high pile of lumber that was stacked in a corner! I managed to slide off - knees shaking - and get the reins around his neck to lead him back. Not something I'd like to repeat!

It was just a basic english hack. The curb chain was OLD, though. I replaced it with nylon.

A friend of mine had a bit snap in half over a 3'6" oxer. It came up and smacked the horse in the face, he bolted...I thought she was on the way to arena-dart-dom, but she reached up, grabbed his caveson, and stopped him that way...it was amazing!

I'm glad you're safe and sound! Equipment failures are super-scary. Maybe that's why I'm so paranoid about my tack?

I had the curb chain on a combination hackamore break in a 1.45m jumper class! I had no brakes for a little while, but then my mare adjusted and realized she was okay and finished the round (2 early rails during the no-braking period).

Video (the curb chain breaks after the in-and-out around 20 seconds): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcZ2kheOHGY&feature=plcp

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...12095736_n.jpg Laughing later on in the course!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I had the curb chain on a combination hackamore break in a 1.45m jumper class! I had no brakes for a little while, but then my mare adjusted and realized she was okay and finished the round (2 early rails during the no-braking period).

Video (the curb chain breaks after the in-and-out around 20 seconds): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcZ2kheOHGY&feature=plcp

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...12095736_n.jpg Laughing later on in the course!
    That is an amazing video! I am insanely jealous at how well you kept your cool and helped your mare through the course. Really impressive round (and those jumps are gargantuan!)
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

eponacowgirl- good on you for keeping your cool! I know other people (including my trainer) who that has happened to! Not fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Many years ago, I was galloping my OTTB in a large field - with a hackamore. The chin strap broke and the whole thing flew back in my face. It took him about 3 seconds to lower himself and fly! I tried grabbing an ear, but he just shook his head and continued running. I tried covering his eyes, but he dropped his head and kept on. About a half mile later, he tried to make the turn out the gate back to the barn, but at his speed he didn't make it. We ended up on the top of a 4 foot high pile of lumber that was stacked in a corner! I managed to slide off - knees shaking - and get the reins around his neck to lead him back. Not something I'd like to repeat!
    OMG- almost the same thing happened to me (also many years ago ) but I was just hacking a horse we had just picked up from the track around the stubble fields. La, la, la...ah relaxing jig around the field, ho-hum, and then....my bit snaps in half

Suddenly we going from tense jig to full gallop, cheek pieces and attached halves of snaffle bit flopping in rhythm to his stride. I just got up in half seat, and said WHOA alot. He slowed to a trot to turn the corner in to the stable yard, and I hopped off and grabbed his noseband.

Its amazing - I remember this incident like it was yesterday, and it had to have happened 17, 18 years ago. Ah memories...