The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Please help with terms of a full-lease

I've never done one before. I want to do an off-site lease, but if I'm full-leasing and the owner still wants to ride the horse at least once a week, should they contribute towards expenses as well?

I've never done a full-lease before, so I'm not sure what I might be getting myself into. For example, if the owner is still riding the leased-out horse, who would typically be responsible for medical expenses if something happens?

What have been the terms of your guys' full-leases? Any advice would be much appreciated!

A full lease usually requires you to pay all expenses and to insure the horse for the time period of the lease. Under no circumstances would I enter a full lease if the owner expects to ride the horse. You can certainly invite her to ride from time to time, but that should be at your discretion, not on her demand.

We have had leases where we've been responsible for making regular reports about the horse, notifying about shows and results, allowing visits at any time (within reason), using only the trainer listed on the lease, not allowing others to ride the horse other than DD and her trainer ...

If the owner wants to ride "at least once a week", you don't have a full lease, you have a partial lease.

You'll have to deal with all the part-lease headaches like dividing up the schedule (what if she always wants to ride on Saturday, and you were planning on showing?) and expenses.

Make sure you're not paying _all_ the expenses and providing the owner with a free horse to ride.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

In a situation like this consider doing a half lease; do you really plan to ride full time? If the owner wants to ride once in a while, like once a month, fine, wouldn't stop me from leasing horse. It would be the owners way of checking in on horse. Good luck.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Thank you guys, that's what I was thinking, that it can't be a full-lease if she still expects to ride...I have no problem doing a half-lease and letting the owner ride as she pleases, but she is the one who didn't want to let the horse go off-site without a full-lease. But if she still wants to ride, then I should push for a half-lease, huh? Or let her pay like 1/3 expenses or something?

Also, do you guys have any advice on medical expenses? Who should be responsible if she is still riding the horse also? I feel like it would be fair if I paid for injuries related to my personal showing/training, but what if something is generally wrong with the horse?

Sorry guys, I'm a total newbie with this!

If I were you I would only do half or full lease, no other divisions because it gets too complicated. If I did a half lease, I'd split all board, ferrier, vet bills, and insurance bills. Owner would retain final decision-making on major medical decisions. Include details on riding schedule and rights to schedule changes for horse showing with adequate notice. Frankly, I don't think I'd ever enter into a partial lease situation because of the potential for unforeseen complications.

I have never entered into a lease without an agreement that either party can withdraw from the lease with a one-month notice in writing. I have always carried insurance on the horses we've leased (even though they were "free" leases). It is often advised to have a vet exam before the lease period to rule out pre-existing issues.