The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not exactly a surprise, but I don't foresee a Gary Steven's like "unretirement":

DRF March 21, 2013: "Chantal Sutherland considering riding comeback"

On Thursday, she exercised horses for trainers Mike Machowsky, Jeff Mullins, and Tim Yakteen.

“I miss it,” she said.

Sutherland said any comeback would hinge on lengthy discussions with [her husband, Dan Kruse] about the commitment involved.

And there you go ...

DRF 5-23-13: "Sutherland says she'll return to saddle at Del Mar"

Chantal Sutherland, who announced her retirement here last summer, was at Woodbine on Thursday morning and plans to return to riding at the Del Mar meeting, which begins July 18.

She plans to begin galloping horses regularly next month in preparation for her comeback.
    I'm a bit surprised she didn't resume galloping intensively first, assessed how that was going, and then announced to un-retire. That's how Gary Stevens did it. He had to determine if he was ready again with the regiment by doing it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Per the TBC she was spotted working horses at Santa Anita in March so I'd assume she's been working at it but will be getting more serious about it in June.

Did anyone see Rosie N. during a Preakness interview in which she was asked about her success and said that never once did she "play the girl-card". Ah, Rosie, love you, . . . , so unlike -------.

4 members found this post helpful.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    Did anyone see Rosie N. during a Preakness interview in which she was asked about her success and said that never once did she "play the girl-card". Ah, Rosie, love you, . . . , so unlike -------.
    I was thinking the same thing when they interviewed her! She actually seems to try to steer clear of the "girl" hype.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

1 members found this post helpful.

She probably misses the attention.

I'm not a Chantal Sutherland fan.

3 members found this post helpful.

Gary was retired for quite sometime before deciding to make a comeback, plus, let's face it, he's a little bit older too. Not surprising to me that she's not done yet, and it shouldnt take her anytime to get fit to ride again.

I think when a young athlete stops competing in their sport they should stop calling it "retirement". If I stop doing my job and move on to something else, I don't call it retirement. I just changed careers. I suppose it's not a big deal...and "quitting" just doesn't sound right for an athlete but for some reason it bugs the heck out of me!

3 members found this post helpful.

Twitter image July 1, 2013: Chantal exercising a ride

Sad to say but Cali racing it appears, aside from Julien Leparoux, is going to be largely riders off the disabled, substance recovery or back from retired tired lists.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Twitter image July 1, 2013: Chantal exercising a ride

Sad to say but Cali racing it appears, aside from Julien Leparoux, is going to be largely riders off the disabled, substance recovery or back from retired tired lists.
    Speaking of which, Eswan Flores showed up at Lone Star this meet. He seemed like a rising star 2, or 3, years ago in SoCal then screwed up. Tough life for a lot of those guys
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Speaking of which, Eswan Flores showed up at Lone Star this meet. He seemed like a rising star 2, or 3, years ago in SoCal then screwed up. Tough life for a lot of those guys
    I wouldn't say that Lone Star is the end of the line for a rider... A lot of guys have come from Cal or Kentucky out here for a few years. Aaron Gryder, Shaun Bridgmohan, etc. If anything it seems to revive their careers.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    I wouldn't say that Lone Star is the end of the line for a rider... A lot of guys have come from Cal or Kentucky out here for a few years. Aaron Gryder, Shaun Bridgmohan, etc. If anything it seems to revive their careers.
    Didn't mean to imply that LS is the "end of the line". I was implying that Flores had a lot of promise, and then had to go somewhere else to start over. I'm pretty sure he went to northern CA for a little while b4 he came to LS. Didn't work out for Gryder here (or at Remington), but that's usually what happens when you ride 1st call for Assmussen. I thought Bridgmohan started in this area (LA maybe).
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?