The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chantal retires today

After her last race of her family's owned horse at Woodbine.
    Needs to know

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the heads up. Now posted on her site. http://www.chantalsutherlandjockey.com/home
    Darn, will miss her. Such a talented rider.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Warmest wishes for happiness in the next stage of her career - I remember her riding down here at The Fort.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Huh! Did not see this coming, but granted, I haven't been looking too closely. Good luck and good wishes in the new phase of your life, Chantel.

A bit odd to say the least with such an abrupt action on the heels of the alcohol violation and suspension at Woodbine. Per the DRF:

Sutherland, who married Dan Kruse this past spring, will reside in Huntington Beach, Calif.

“I’ll take it easy, for a couple of months,” said Sutherland. “I have lots of plans, lots of cool ideas.”

While Sutherland acknowledged that those plans could involve horse racing, possibly in tandem with some form of media, she did not offer specifics.
    I for one don't think she's compelling when being interviewed and don't see her easily landing a job on say HRTV. Although some think she is all that and a bag of chips. Maybe the sport will bring her into a PR role (CalRacing or NTRA) with encouraging new, diverse fans ...

I didn't know she'd gotten married either.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I didn't know she'd gotten married either.
    I didn't know that, either, but maybe that's part of it--would be hard to focus on a family, if that's what they want, and ride at the same time.

Something isn't right here...

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Agree probably looking to just move on - sounds like she's enjoying being married. And although I suppose the alcohol violation is what it is (and I'm pretty conservative), if I recall the blood alcohol level for a violation was well below any limit for say, a driving violation. I'm not interpreting anything sinister into this, except perhaps she's just tired of the negativity. And perhaps with her being taken off of Game On Dude, who it sounds as if she really loved.

Wish her much happiness.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I am wondering if she is "in foal"

Default In Foal?

Quote Originally Posted by Flypony View Post
    I wondered this also. Her blog was very vague in a lot of ways, leading me to wonder what was really going on. This could be the reason....but then again maybe not. I'm so shocked about her retiring I don't know what to think.

Losing Game On Dude could also have a lot to do with it. Jockeys get thinking a bit differently when they lose the mount on a super talented horse that they love.

Best of luck Chantal no matter what you are doing-whether you are off to be a broodmare or an actress/model. You gave us many thrills and we're all very grateful to you.

Hallie

Quote Originally Posted by haligator View Post
    I wondered this also. Her blog was very vague in a lot of ways, leading me to wonder what was really going on. This could be the reason....but then again maybe not. I'm so shocked about her retiring I don't know what to think.
    I was thinking the same thing as Flypony--"in foal" or trying. The jockey lifestyle (the diet, the amount of exercise, the high-risk, high-impact nature of the sport) isn't really conducive to getting and staying pregnant. Being married, losing the ride on Game On Dude, the alcohol thing (though if it's below the threshold for DWI, which is staggeringly low, that seems unlikely, not to mention REALLY tough standards), maybe it all came together at once to make now a good time to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Flypony View Post
    Hopefully not since she is obviously drinking!

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Wish her much happiness.
    Agreed there. Further I don't think anyone has any reason to wish her otherwise. My remarks on her chances being on camera doing the "daily grind" of handicapping or endless Pick 4/6 discussions is simply because it isn't easy. The Mig will contribute to the discussion on camera by way of having talked to the jock or watched the horse but he's not into reading the tea leaves of wagers -so too Jerry Baily. Honestly the on-camera work is better suited to the Todd Schrupp or even a Tom Amoss.

It's disappointing that a lot of comments elsewhere from the internet trolls feel the need to grade her riding one last time upon departure. I know she never said she was Julie or Rosie to the press but rather just herself enjoying what she liked to do. She was certainly more successful than many who has assumed the risks of the job.

Career Statistics: Starts: 7,350 .. Firsts: 931, Seconds: 930, Thirds: 987. Career mount earnings: $47,287,052

Default I think she was a good rider

But I also read she was 36. I remember from 'Jockeys' that she was much more interested in Mike Smith than he seemed to be for her. Then there was the ugly break up. And I also never heard anything about her getting married. My uninformed guess is that she probably does want kids, and if she wants more than one feels the need to get crackin.
    I wish her the very best.
    [I also think losing Game on Dude probably hurts, and it is becoming increasingly clear that when Baffert is through with you, he is through. She probably did think this was the best time to go, as maybe she didn't have any terrific mounts lined up for BC.]
    I also agree with Glimmer that she isn't a really good interview. Tom Amoss brings a lot and is good on camera. Jerry Bailey, when you can find him is too. Gary Stevens, not so much.
    Another killer of threads

I'm no raging feminist, but when a male jockey gets moved from one top flight mount in favor of another jock, do we speculate that this was likely so emotionally devastating for him that it caused him to retire? I think not.

Chantal is enough of a pro that she likely understands the bad W.C. showing coupled with losing her rein in her last race on the Dude and boom - she loses the ride. It's a tough business and what have you done for me lately seems to be the operative motto of most trainers, with Baffert switching favorites often.

This news is very surprising, but perhaps the new marriage and desire to start a family is accurate.

She's a unique and likeable personality in the sport, and had a solid career. I agree with Glimmer that personally I wouldn't enjoy watching her as an analyst.

I am only speculating that she, like many riders past 35, has discovered that the bounce has gone when falls happen. Even with men, bones get more brittle and with those on such stringent diets, the brittleness sets in sooner and can be more severe. She isnt the first successful rider to call it quits at 35-36 and likely won't be the last; the public just doesn't get bombarded with news releases like this when men quit.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Although I made the joke about not being pregnant, I think that has a huge role in her decision. She has achieved a lot of goals and now is married and wants a family. You can't ride races for safety and weight reasons when pregnant and it takes a lot of dedication to suddenly not worry about your mortality, breastfeed and have to pump in the jocks room(if not doing formula), get back to riding weight and regain clients and horses and then maybe do it all over again in 2 years. It's one of the toughest professions to be a mother and have.

Several of the women (Repp/Fales, Papineau) who've ridden on the circuit I frequent are now moms and no longer ride. It seems like there were many, many more women riders when I was a little girl - on these lower circuits - than there are now.

And of course Vicky Baze keeps going, and going, and going. She's amazing.

http://equibase.com/profiles/Results...pe=J&eID=71736

and before she and Gary Baze were married -

http://equibase.com/profiles/Results...hType=J&eID=61

I don't know what her last name was prior to then.

Anyway, she was my idol when I was 6 years old. 22 years later and she's still at it, despite many many injuries and her jockey-husband ultimately getting hurt badly enough that he can no longer ride, and she STILL is doing it? And between retirements, she worked the 2YO sales? Yeah. Made of different stuff.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Repp/Fales was a really good exercise rider. Bless her in her motherly endevours. The kid is super cute.
    Chantal is a bozo. She had the world at her fingertips. Naked pictures on Matt Chews horse, The loss of mounts. The failure to pass a breathalizer at Woodbine.... How embarassing
    A lack of professionalism is a shame. Perhaps she forgot that alcohol in Canada is stronger than the US, but really??!!!
    I am glad she is retiring. Her interviews wreak of simpleton.
    Bye bye. Hope she is a good house wife, as that is all she is qualified for