The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default American Royal Saddlebred Show

Hey, All--

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the the Royal in Kansas City, MO still had a big Saddlebred show. I always go watch the jumpers and the Grand Prix (yesterday), and I know they still have the Saddlebred show (in November), but does anyone know if it's still considered one of the biggest Saddlebred shows? It seems the Royal in general is scaling back, maybe losing a bit of its old luster. I'll probably go check out the Saddlebreds, since that was THE event to see "back in the day," at least according to my mother.

Thanks!
    Ace

They do still have it, and it is still quite prestigious, though as far as I'm concerned, it's kind of #3 behind Lexington and Louisville.

Yep it's the last big dance of the year. Right behind the World Championship Show in Louisville. 11/13-11-17 All of our customers go with multiple trucks.
    http://www.americanroyal.com/events_detail.aspx?id=50

Definitely still a big deal here! I go every year to watch. Can't wait!
    One day I will have a nice enough horse to show there.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Some fo the scheduling highlights:

Tues Nov. 13 is the first day of the show. This day is dominated by MoKan classes, classes open only to horses own my Missouri or Kansas residents.

Wed Nov. 14 is Junior Challege Cup day. The UPHA Junior Challenge Cup Saddle Seat Equitation Final. The Junior Age division is 13 & under. There are also 2 particulalry exciting classes in the evening schedule, Parade Horse and Road Horse to Wagon. Parade Horses wear silver saddles with the full breastcollar and serapes and a decked out in ribbons and glitter and Road Horse to Wagon is Standardbred trotters pulling a 4 wheeled doctor's buggy type wagon.

Thurs Nov. 15 is the Senior Challenge Cup. The UPHA Senior Challenge Cup is a saddle seat equitation class for rider 14-17. Thursday evening are the UPHA Classic Classes. The Saddlebred classes are for 3 year old and the Hackney Pony classes are for 3 or 4 year olds. After these classes there is the UPHA Classics Incentive Sale which will be an auction of young Saddlebreds and Hackney Ponies. If you buy a horse or pony at this sale and show at the Royal in a UPHA Classic class you have a chance at added prize money.

Fri Nov. 16 features the Walk & Trot Challenge Cup and Exceptional Challenge Cup. The Walk & Trot Challenge Cup is for riders 10 & under. The Exceptional Challenge Cup is for special needs riders. The last class Friday eveing is the Pink Ribbon Class, the Ladies Five Gaited National Championship. For everyone showing a horse and in the audience wearing pink that evening a donation is made to the Susan G. Komen foundation.

Sat Nov. 17 has the USEF Saddle Seat Medal equitation final. This is for all saddle seat equitation riders 18 & under. Saturday has the bulk of the championship classes

The American Royal is the National Championships for Saddlebreds, Roadsters, Hackney Ponies and Saddle Seat Equitation (Louisville is the World's Championships). In addition they host 2 of the 3 equitation finals known as the Triple Crown (the other one, the NHS Good Hands Final, was this weekend in Spriungfield, IL). And the UPHA Classic classes draw the best young horses, there are always a lot of people at this horse show shopping for next season's mount.

Awesome! Thanks, everyone! I'll make sure to hit all the highlights since I live just about 20 min. from the Kemper Arena now. I just wasn't sure if the Saddlebred show was as hard hit as the hunter/jumpers. The first year I went to the h/j, there was also an Arabian show going on simultaneously in the Hale arena. Now, it's all a little bit sparse. I will def. check out the Saddlebred festivities - never seen any of it before!

Thank you!

Ace

Hey, Renae - is there a certain day that hackneys are shown? I adore the hackneys.... cute little guys (and girls). )

Thanks!

The Hackney classes are throughout the schedule.

Come past and see us. I have the singular joy (LOL) of getting not one, but TWO parade horses ready on Wednesday evening. My parade tack has already shipped out.

1 members found this post helpful.

I cannot wait for the parade class!
    CA-have fun getting them ready. I'm sure they'll look fabulous!

What is the difference between Division I and Division II in the driving classes? Isabella Davinci won the 3 yr old fine harness div II WC. Just wondering and I see ASB peeps checkin' this thread. Nice mare, and I wonder if she'll be at the Am Royal.

Griffyn- Theyre the same- just split because show management felt that the combined numbers would have too many horses in the ring for safety, generally.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffyn View Post
    What is the difference between Division I and Division II in the driving classes? Isabella Davinci won the 3 yr old fine harness div II WC. Just wondering and I see ASB peeps checkin' this thread. Nice mare, and I wonder if she'll be at the Am Royal.
    Per USEF rules:
    SB111 Division of Classes.
    1. It is required that under saddle classes of 25 or more entries and harness classes of 16 or more entries be divided into separate sections. It is recommended that under saddle classes of 21 or more entries be divided into separate sections. Classes should be divided by selecting every other number on the list of entries, sex, size of horse, or age of rider. If the class is divided by any other method than those listed above, such method must have been previously stated in the prize list. Both the method used to divide classes and the division of entries must be posted in the horse show office and announced over the PA system, or printed in the program.
    In practice most show managers keep driving classes at 8-12 entries depending on the size of the ring and will also keep walk and trot rider 10 & under class sizes at 12 entries or less.

Quote Originally Posted by CA ASB View Post
    Come past and see us. I have the singular joy (LOL) of getting not one, but TWO parade horses ready on Wednesday evening. My parade tack has already shipped out.
    Can't believe you let your parade tack out of your sight
    Prepping a horse for a Parade Class is on my bucket list. So glad to see them back at the Royal, I always swoon over the pictures of them in the American Royal Museum.

I miss the American Royal... I showed in the last Arabian class (the Arabian Native Costume Championship) that was held in the old Royal building, the last year it was used at the American Royal. Of course, the 'new' building isn't so new anymore.... That was the only rated show I ever got to do...

When i was a teenager, my mom, brother and I used to go to the Saddlebred show at Royal every year. I LOVED the Hackney roadster classes, loved the Parade horse classes, and loved the 5-gaited classes. Would love to show a Parade horse someday..

When my mom died and we were cleaning out her stuff, I found a couple of the exhibitors pins we had (we knew someone who was showing, so we bought exhibitors pins each year through them so we could go in and out).

Some day I'll get back there... for those who get to go, have fun for those of us who are too far away!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Kansas City wants to tear down Kemper Arena and replace it with a purpose built equestrian/livestock arena. Kemper Arena as stands was designed as a multi-purpose arena, but the Sprint Arena built in 2007 tooks away the majority of non-American Royal events (and the American Royal Rodeo is now held at the Sprint Arena). However some people are trying to save Kemper as it has historical significance in being architect Helmut Jahn's first major project. Goody goody, the roof collapsed in 1979, it has had problems with flooding, it is no longer an ideal building for its main use, but by all means make Kansas City "preserve" it and pay several hundred thousand a year to maintain and manage a facility they don't really want

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/27...ationists.html

http://www.americanroyal.com/press_release.aspx?p=8

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Kansas City wants to tear down Kemper Arena and replace it with a purpose built equestrian/livestock arena. Kemper Arena as stands was designed as a multi-purpose arena, but the Sprint Arena built in 2007 tooks away the majority of non-American Royal events (and the American Royal Rodeo is now held at the Sprint Arena). However some people are trying to save Kemper as it has historical significance in being architect Helmut Jahn's first major project. Goody goody, the roof collapsed in 1979, it has had problems with flooding, it is no longer an ideal building for its main use, but by all means make Kansas City "preserve" it and pay several hundred thousand a year to maintain and manage a facility they don't really want

Thanks for posting that - I'll have to go read. I grew up in KC and have fond memories of basketball games (including Harlem Globetrotters and the KC Kings - probably just dated myself! ) and soccer games in Kemper. But nothing lasts forever... (and since I don't live there anymore and my taxes aren't going to go to it, I don't think I have much of a say).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post

This year the American Royal rodeo was in Hale Arena. Last year it was at the Sprint Center and I really didn't like it there. Yeah the facility is nice, but the parking was bad, location was bad with all the horse trailers and horses walking on the streets, etc. Anyway!

Oh ick, the rodeo in Hale? That is kind of sad.

The proposals for the new arena look so nice, so much like the nice old arenas at many of the state fairgrounds. I would love if they got rid of the "tunnel" down in to Kemper, especially with driving horses it always feels so unsafe entering the arena, with the gate coming open for you while participants from the last class are still trying to exit the tunnel.

The Royal will have a USEF Network Live Feed http://www.usefnetwork.com/featured/...lChampionship/