The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eclipse trailers?

Any experiences? I'm considering a 2 horse straight with dressing room and delux options http://www.eclipsealuminumtrailers.c...-dressing-room
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I have to say I am a little disappointed in mine. I have a 2 horse slant load with a tack area. It is a 2012 model that I bought in Dec of 2011
    I have a had several issues with it.
    The worst one by far is the internal door to the tack room weld broke and was hitting the poor horse that I was hauling the entire ride. Luckily she wasn't hurt and is a sensible mare. That happened within 10 trips of hauling with it.
    There is a lot of little things that they "forgot" to do. The external tack room door latch only had one screw instead of 2 so it was very loose and could of easily opened while hauling. I have the double doors in back with the step up. The pole that you twist to lock the doors were constantly slipping down so I couldn't close the door. There were several other little annoyances with broken parts. I spoke to the manufacturer about it and the only labor they would cover was the welding. Since I was so far from the dealer I was responsible to get it fixed. They sent the parts to fix the other problems but I would have to pay someone to install the parts. In the end it worked out ok. But it was a lot of time.effort.money on my part. DEFINITELY not what I was expecting buying a brand new trailer.
    I now have another problem with one of the drop down windows. It likes to drop down when I am driving. So in hind sight would I buy another one. Probably not.

That's disappointing to know. I've been drooling over a trailer on the Blue Ridge site....and they don't make that one any more
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

I've had mine since 08'? now I believe. It is a two horse straight load with extra long/tall horse area, and a dressing room. I have never had any problems with it. I have heard horror stories, but I have never experienced anything but good with my trailer.
    Good luck!
    ETA
    I have almost the exact trailer from your link, except mine has two fans. I have loved the latches for everything and how my center divider can completely come out.
    Last edited by smilesthepony; Oct. 20, 2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Add detail

Quote Originally Posted by smilesthepony View Post
    I've had mine since 08'? now I believe. It is a two horse straight load with extra long/tall horse area, and a dressing room. I have never had any problems with it. I have heard horror stories, but I have never experienced anything but good with my trailer.
    Good luck!
    ETA
    I have almost the exact trailer from your link, except mine has two fans. I have loved the latches for everything and how my center divider can completely come out.
    It looks like the fans are a part of the delux option, which I would get. The base model is pretty bare bones. One thing that's a necessity is rumber floor which is part of the delux package
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

I've had one for a year and 1/2. No material problems except that the one window drops down. So shalimar, how have you fixed it? I havent worried much, I just drop it down as I dont put horse in the back part of my slant. Other than that I've been quite satisfied. THOUGH I don't love it like my Brenderup...but my mare is a sideways riding girl.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I had a client that bought a brand new Eclipse trailer and within a couple months of being new it was falling apart and the electric shorted out and did electrical damage to two different towing vehicles.

All the welded-on metal tie loops broke off. The center divider would pop out of the floor and then bang on the horses while travelling. One of the windows basically fell out. The lights never worked even when brand new.

After using this trailer, I would not ever, EVER consider owning an Eclipse trailer. I actually would be hesitant to let my horse even travel on one again.

I have a 1992 Trail-Et trailer which is far safer than my friends 2012 Eclipse.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

A family at our barn has one. Just purchased this summer IIRC. 3 horse slant BP with a DR. They've enjoyed it and I haven't heard any grumbling about the quality.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike