The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

when my horse was he kicked me twice in two weeks in the same spot...half way up the thigh. I could not bend that knee for weeks because it was so tight. I rolled ice on it per doctors order. (Put a dixie cup full of water in the freezer) I think I did this three to four times a day for a couple of weeks.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

In APRIL 2011 I fell off my eventer onto the side of a ditch. I landed on the outside of my left leg. The tibia broke and the thigh got a massive bruise. The bone healed right up. The thigh still hurts to TOUCH and is rather lumpy. ;-/ I did Arnica and or Surpass for a little while. I think if I had done DMSO it would be fine.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I got kicked square on front of thigh by Friesan mare. Knocked me on my butt instantly. ER was surprised there was no break in the bone, sent me home with crutches which I needed for a week. I could not wear dress pants for at least a month due to the swelling. This was 3 years ago I still have a dent 1 1/2 inches deep on my thigh. I use it in the summer to warn people of the dangers of not paying attention to a horse. I have several lovely pictures of the bruise I sent to DH who was conviently out of town when this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Doberpei View Post
    There's also a condition called compartment syndrome. Although not typical in a thigh, it can happen there. When a friend of mine was kicked by a horse, that's what the doctors were most worried about. This is not something to mess around with. Check with your doctor.
    This... I was injured about 2 weeks ago. Wasn't my thigh but my forearm. Horse and I parted ways and he stepped on my arm (underside). I thought it was broke but thankfully it wasn't (went to ICC immediately). But nasty bruise, swelling and the Dr said to watch out for compartment syndrome. Most common in calf and forearm. Thankfully, that didn't happen. The external bruising is almost gone but I definitely have an internal deep bruise. And part of it is still tender. They said it would take awhile to completely heal. I can do most things w/o issue... only feel a twinge from time to time with certain movements (grooming, etc). But I'm fine to ride. Hopped on not even a week after I did it. Maybe not the smartest thing but I already have a "fall fear" and this was the first time I had ever come off my horse (have had him almost 7 years now). So wanted to get back on ASAP.

Magnetic therapy has also helped.

Get well soon OP! DH got a horrible upper thigh bruise from a nasty kick by a stallion the ranch used to own that just barely missed his baby maker and now he has a permanent dent in his leg
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

welcome to the 'dented thigh smiley face ' club

mine occured a week before my daughters wedding. Man I loved those shoes I couldnt wear

1 members found this post helpful.

I had a horse dump me and then step on the outside of my upper calf on my right leg. I thought my leg was broken, the pain was so bad, and I was unable to get my leg under me to stand up. Within about five minutes, though, I was able to get up. I think I must have stunned a few nerves because it wasn't pain preventing me from standing; I really had no control over my lower leg.

The site where the horse stepped on my swelled up and turned a deep purple colour. I could feel a hard knot on my calf, and flexing the muscle hurt very badly. Walking was difficult and I couldn't ride for about three weeks. Eventually everything seemed to resolve itself but it was painful and very inconvenient! I hope you feel better soon.

Weird...my bruise got much better. Honestly wouldn't have known it happened for the last 2-3 months. HOWEVER, 2 days ago, I was like "hmmm" ....tight, swollen again. And I have done nothing different or strained it. Really odd!
    May be one of those things that flares up out of the blue????

I swear by Arnica too. Better late than never.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I had a horse step on the outside of my left thigh. It created a HUGE bruise that took months to go down.

Once it finally subsided I was left with a divot.

I figure I have a bit of torn muscle from the event. I notice when I ride in 2 point for a long time my leg will get sore above and below the muscle injury site. The other thing I notice is that the injured thigh muscle is much easier to get a cramp.

The muscle is still tender over a year after the injury. I can handle and enjoy a deep tissue massage, just not at that precise location.

In over 40 years of equine activity I've only been kicked once, knock on wood. Kicked at lots, but only one made contact. A little above mid thigh about 20 years ago. Still have the dent and assume I always will.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    I had a horse step on the outside of my left thigh. It created a HUGE bruise that took months to go down.

Once it finally subsided I was left with a divot.

I figure I have a bit of torn muscle from the event. I notice when I ride in 2 point for a long time my leg will get sore above and below the muscle injury site. The other thing I notice is that the injured thigh muscle is much easier to get a cramp.

The muscle is still tender over a year after the injury. I can handle and enjoy a deep tissue massage, just not at that precise location.
    Had a similar accident, now over 20 years later, that leg still likes to cramp.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I swear by Arnica too. Better late than never.
    Oddly enough, right after it happened I was in Rite Aid and picked up Arnica, had no experience with it, but thought I'd try it.
    My sister had had a prescription of Voltaren some time ago that I used for a shoulder injury! THat stuff worked great!

Just odd that seemingly for no apparent reason it would flare up...

Default deep thigh bruise

I should make this a different post,but this seems where it's a place to put it--
    Went out to put the board chk. Turned out the 2 boys',our older TBS, Robbie was turned out after I turned out Caine,C was chillin' doin' rolls in the sand' Robie went up,and his hoof hit me on my lft. shoulder,really a beauty of a black & blue-- what I seen from Caine was"oh no,you din't" he went at Robbie,He chased him and bit him'and I was, this is your bud,oh crap--what I heard sounded like a scream and a bellow' do geldings stiil/gelded males(dogs/cats/horses/goats//wtfG

All this talking about bruising and hematomas and not a single pic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50468270@N00/8371012748/

Here you go. This happened when I was ejected from a carriage in January. Unshown are the bruises on my back and lower legs. And three broken ribs.

Glad I had a helmet on.

Sorry I can't post pics of my injuries...got propelled of horse when girth broke during 2nd huge spook...landed on my butt. Bought some fancy cream from 'snake oil' salesman at horse show and blk/blue went away quickly with 2xs daily application and massage. Actually, I think I was lucky the saddle came off as the horse did a quick backwards jump instead of stepping on me!!

Then I got kicked in the chest/boob. That was 2 1/2 weeks ago and the blk/blue followed gravity and pooled at the nipple . Went to ER, they xrayed and said no fracture but I want to know why it hurts when I sneeze or cough. The flesh doesn't hurt more than expected but the bone must be bruised. I am soooo thankful ...it could have been bad.

A friend tripped going to the mailbox and broke her leg!!she's a good 15 yrs younger. We horsewomen are tough!

Quote Originally Posted by Zwarte View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50468270@N00/8371012748/

Here you go. This happened when I was ejected from a carriage in January. Unshown are the bruises on my back and lower legs. And three broken ribs.

Glad I had a helmet on.
    Ouch!! Awesome bruise tho!

1 members found this post helpful.

As long as you don't have a blood clot or "compartment syndrome" (gotta look that up---the old time remedy for that would be put Vaseline on your hand and rub to break it up

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Had a similar accident, now over 20 years later, that leg still likes to cramp.
    The only thing I can figure (because of course I didn't go to a doctor after the event) is that when the STUPID mare stepped on me she tore the muscle. That part of the muscle still works (top end and bottom end no connecting), so the nerves are firing to contract, CONTRACT Dam@@!%, so are getting over worked....which equals sore. Or the way for the muscle to remove the lactic acid from hard work was damaged and so it takes longer for that part of the muscle to recover.