The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default TB Celebration Show - Lexington, VA - Who's going?

I haven't show in YEARS and I'm totally excited to finally step back in the show ring! The show is November 2-4 at the Horse Center.

I'm taking my friend's polo pony whom we've recently started converting into a hunter (like...really recently, last week!). She's a green bean, but totally cute and willing! Just going to do a couple flat classes (TIP & Blue Horse Charities). Should be fun!
    How big were the flat classes last year?

I think I'm going to sport my rust breeches, for tradition's sake. She's almost black and I think they'll compliment her nicely.

Who else is going, and who are you bringing?

LOVED the June show so much we're making the hike south again!

Petey has graduated to the 3'1" level. And Lad.....well...either he'll play in the 3'7's again, or hop down to 3'1" or skip it. He's undecided.

Now looks like we'll be camping in our trailer (Not a LQ) onsite. Can you say "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR?"

LOVELY show. Tons of fun!

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Default They fired Anne Russek, the woman who started the show

She was not only the founder, but a volunteer who did a great job announcing. It was her joy and passion for TBs that made me want to be part of the mission, so I got a TB mare.

They fired her at a public meeting just weeks before the show. Very poor form, regardless of what issues they may or may not have had with her.

What's the point of that post? Are people supposed to boycot the show because the person who inspired you to buy a TB is no longer involved? Why would you want to encourage that? The movement to increase post racing opportunities is about more than one person. I hope these shows continue to flourish and provide a lower cost alternative for those who want to show off their TBs.

Default The point of the post is

I am not suggesting a boycott. I don't think people should be treated like that and if you or anyone else agrees, why not tell the new management? Perhaps they will treat their volunteers better in the future as a result.

As you rightly imply we all want to help these horses and the more volunteers the better, especially the passionate, knowledgable ones such as Anne.

I hope you have a wonderful time at the show.
    JJ

Well, that's a shame about Anne Russek. I haven't had the pleasure of competing at these shows, but hope to next year with my young guy. I've heard such great things about the shows and they sound like a whole lotta fun!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

They are excellent, excellent, well-run horse shows with a really cool, positive, sportsmanlike vibe. The prizes, prize money and hospitality are pretty incredible. There are classes for the JUST off the track baby or the seasoned vet. My horse and I have been to every single one except the very first one in June of 2009 and we will NOT miss them! They are everything a long weekend away at a horse show should be! I also have served as a volunteer for the shows since 2010 and feel that the team surrounding these shows is incredible, passionate and I really love donating my time and efforts. For anyone coming, we'll be stabled in Barn 7, come introduce yourselves! See you there!
    Katie Gardner ~ Otteridge Farm
    Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Otteri...12757628746926

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSwap View Post
    They are excellent, excellent, well-run horse shows with a really cool, positive, sportsmanlike vibe. The prizes, prize money and hospitality are pretty incredible. There are classes for the JUST off the track baby or the seasoned vet.
    Well, I have a JUST off the track baby who took his first venture off the farm today and was a total rock star. I'm hoping for a mild winter so I can keep him going and be ready for the first show in March.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Default New OTTB show in 2013

Just an early heads up that Kim Clark of TPR in Maryland will be hosting a benefit show for her non profit OTTB transitioning facility in Maryland next spring. Details will be making the rounds soon, and since Kim is a "racing insider" this show is going to be extra special. I love the OTTB shows that actually give something back to the horses instead of just making money for the host facility....

Wow, I didn't know there were any OTTB shows that "just" made money for the facility. I hardly think anyone would go to the trouble if that was truly the case! Especially when you think of multiple-discipline show venues---when compared to a large QH show or USEF rated H/J show, an unrated OTTB show is hardly a cash cow, no matter how wonderful it is...without passion for the cause, there would be no show. And there certainly would not be one with as many special events that take months of planning and careful, structured organization (to the extent that Donna Barton Brothers and NBC Triple Crown announcer Larry Collmus have stepped up to support these shows!) as the TB Celebration, if there were not many people passionate about TBs working behind the scenes.

It's great that lots of these shows are cropping up everywhere, it is important that people join forces all over the country to promote second careers for OTTBs!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    Well, I have a JUST off the track baby who took his first venture off the farm today and was a total rock star. I'm hoping for a mild winter so I can keep him going and be ready for the first show in March.
    Awesome!! Traditionally, the March show is the smallest of the three, which adds to it being an excellent place to bring out a young horse! I myself have a didn't-make-it-into-race-training 3 year old that I am just now breaking in hopes that he will be ready to make his debut in March as well!

We're coming, just doing jumpers this time. Bringing one of my 3 yr olds for the churchill jumpers. Love the shows they are affordable for everyone. Really liked Anne and so sorry to hear she will no longer with the show. She is a wonderful person who created a great show for the breed of horse she loves. Thank you Anne. I am hoping the new management will not jack up costs as it will eliminate a lot of people.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

My horse is going to do the jumpers with a friend of mine since I'm unfortunately at a wedding that weekend I definitely want to support the show though, so I'm sending him without me!

The Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Show is a wonderful show - I hope there are many COTHers who will attend! I'll be there and am looking forward to it.

I was hoping to do the hunters with my greenie....but with the event of the cold weather its looking like we'll be playing in the jumper ring since apparently 'winter kissey' is a bit more, um, energetic. I'm pre-registered for the Santa Anita Hunters and the 2'7" jumpers...debating the handy hunter and model hunter.

I'm going up Thursday morning early to school Staying in barn 8 with River Run Equestrian Center...would be nice to meet some COTH'ers

All the stalls are full for the show, and there's a waiting list! Its going to be a busy place, can't wait!!

I hope Sandy won't deter anyone from coming to The Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Show this weekend! Between school conferences, watching the WIHS in person and on Live Stream and, now, Sandy, my horse and I have been off for 4 days already, but we'll muddle through because it's so much fun!

Skip it because of Sandy?! Never! I am thankful that God gave me this extra day off work to pack & get ready for TB Celebration Now if they lose power in VA, that's another story...

Hell my guys last got ridden Saturday. Look for my next ride not to be until weds or Thurs....but we're still coming!!!

Also... for the thread as a courtesy to others... when you're setting up your stall areas in barn 8, please do not block stalls that aren't part of your groups with buffet tables. It makes it very hard to get the restless horse into a stall after the multi hour drive when there's a crock pot and various snacks in the way.

This can lead to accidentally snacking on the road block!!

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm thinking my "girls" are going to be lit on fire with stalling this sat-Tuesday with Sandy, a 5 hour trailer ride, and then 4 days in a stall there....please don't judge me if the horses seem to prefer two legs to four....

Yay the joys of 24/7 *usually* turned out horses...