The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I bought my helmet, I got a Troxel Intrepid. It fits well, I guess I have more of an oval head because it doesn't fit my 11 yr old daughter as well as it fits me, her head is more round like her daddy.
    I got the black one since it was the only color they had.

http://www.troxelhelmets.com/products/intrepid

Thank you all for your replies! It did help! I had never thought of keeping one in the trailer that is a wonderful idea!
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster. ~Author Unknown

1 members found this post helpful.

I also love my Tipp! I also had an Ovation, and although the low profile looks good, I feel it did not protect my head as well as the Tipp in a fall. JME.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Lamicell.... hands down the most comfortable helmet I've ever put on my head in over 35 years of helmet use. It almost sucked itself down around my skull.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I have an Ovation Deluxe Schooler. It's dial fit, which I'm not a huge fan of since the teeth get worn out after a bit, but I do love that it has a removable liner you can wash. The chin strap comes with a nice felt pad which is also washable. The excess strap is bundled up with two rubber bands -- I roll those up and over the felt pad to keep it in place since the Velcro doesn't really do the job. The venting is a lot better than the old Troxel I had.

I have the Troxel Sierra - I like the look of it and the ventilation is good. I wish it fit a bit better but I think the adjustable band does a good job.

I hit really hard at the beginning of summer - had a concussion and brain-bleed and won a 4-day stay in the hospital for observation. This was in a sand arena, and you can see where the helmet absorbed the shock. No splits, but there's a flat spot and a dent on opposite sides of the helmet (landing and then the shock moving the material). I landed on my back hard enough to bounce and flip over onto my front, and lost about 15 minutes of memory. Happily I healed pretty well and uneventfully and bought another Troxel Sierra - I figured hitting that hard and having relatively minor injuries was a good recommendation.

However - it all depends on the shape of your head and having the helmet properly adjusted to fit. So get a helmet that fits your own head and then wear.it.every.time.

Rosalie

I have an Ovation Protégé (and a Charles Owen Show Jumper … but for this thread you probably want to hear about the Ovation).

What I love about it:

• Comfortable
    • Light weight
    • COOL! – so many vents, I literally feel the wind in my hair
    • Adjustable fit – adjust dial lets me get it perfectly snug on my head
    • Deep fit – comes down far on the sides, and especially the back giving lots of coverage
    • Removable washable liner
    • I can slip my pony tail out the back above the dial fit – keeps hair out of the way, while not affecting fit
    • Cost $35.00!

What I do not love about this helmet? Hum – nothing really! – FYI, I am not really a long oval or a round head, right in between, and this helmet fits great.

Love my tipperary sportage. Very light weight, very ventilated!!!!