The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Default Charles de Kunffy Clinic - Sat Oct 27th Go if you can!

I am thinking of auditing a day of a Charles de Kunffy Clinic. Are his clinics good for auditors?

Thanks!

Updated. Went to first Day Oct 26th. Wonderful clinic to Audit! Go if you can. Walk-ins accepted!
    Last edited by Stacie; Oct. 26, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I audited a clinic many years ago here in Ocala. He was precise, funny, clear.....I can still see him demonstrating how a rider should sit while standing on the ground.... I would audit again given the chance.

He is fabulous for auditors! I have audited him many times and ridden with him twice. I always take a tons of notes while auditing, learn a bunch of new exercises (or ways to string exercises together), am thoroughly entertained (I think Charles is a hoot!), and am able to see a huge improvement with each horse and rider combination throughout the lesson.

It is definitely worth it, imho.

When? Where? Please send info!

Default Yes! You should audit if you can't ride in the clinic.

I have audited Charles's clinics in the past, because for various reasons I couldn't ride in them. This year I finally got to ride for him and had one of those lightbulb moments we all hope for. I feel that my riding has been completely transformed.

Having said that, if you're going to audit, I would recommend taking notes. He's very precise. (And funny.) It was helpful for me this year to review my notes from the clinic that I audited.

Definitely 2 thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    When? Where? Please send info!
    Tomorrow through Monday in NE Ohio, if that helps.

And yes, he's great to audit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I got to audit one of his clinics this year and was able to take a lot away from it.

Thanks!
    Hassler Dressage in MD, Oct 26-27
    http://www.hasslerdressage.com/sympo..._OCT-2012.html

I can't go on Saturday and am thinking of cutting work to go on Friday :-)

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

If he does a lecture one evening, do not miss it. He is a kind, compassionate, gentle soul with a devilish sense of humor, and all of that comes out in his lectures.

I would give anything to attend a clinic with him, if only as an auditor. Heaven is being able to actually ride in one of his clinics.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicEm View Post
    He is fabulous for auditors! I have audited him many times and ridden with him twice. I always take a tons of notes while auditing, learn a bunch of new exercises (or ways to string exercises together), am thoroughly entertained (I think Charles is a hoot!), and am able to see a huge improvement with each horse and rider combination throughout the lesson.

It is definitely worth it, imho.
    This. I've audited him two or three times and it was fabulous. I'd go again in a heartbeat. It was amazing the transformation he was able to get in riders and horses.

I have his book "The Ethics and Passions of Dressage".
    It is a very thin, small volume, but he dispenses a lot of one-liners, each one a pearl of knowledge that hammers home a vital point in simple truth.
    You can pick it up, and put it down without having to absorb weighty paragraphs.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Our trainer & entourage went to Hassler to see him last year. Everyone came back raving about the clinic.
    I wish I could afford to go. Soon there will be no Masters of the (literal) Old School left.

I'm in like Flynn as well. Had read one book and watched a vid before auditing his clinic. I took away a lot especially from his lectures. Be sure to avoid sitting next to a yapper as you can easily miss a lot during the rides.

I like the way he does a very complete session: warm up, bending excercises, collecting and extending work. And he doesn't let the rider get off easy. He's one of the few clinicians I've watched do what I'd consider a complete work session and it was very helpful in helping me form better game plans for my own training sessions. I use things I learned from that one clinic every week.

I envy the way he can walk on his heals for ten minutes without effort.

I just got back from auditing the first day of this clinic. All I can say is...if you can get out there tomorrow (Sat) for the second day...go. They take walk-ins.
    Mr De Kunffy runs it as a training clinic for both auditors and riders and teaches the auditors the entire time he is teaching the rider.
    Very good stuff and some really lovely horses to watch.

My friend rode in the clinic yesterday. We want to know why he wears the white gloves? She loved riding with him.

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeQs View Post
    My friend rode in the clinic yesterday. We want to know why he wears the white gloves? She loved riding with him.
    Because he's Charles!