The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I hear you on the knee issue. But with that said, do you know a cobbler? Perhaps if you were to with the talls, you could have them cut half an inch off the front of the knee. Keep the height in the spanish top, but just take off a little where they might rub. Assuming the heel lifts didn't just do the trick.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I would order tall and if they don't drop enough after wearing them with heel lifts, have a cobbler trim just enough off at the knee to make you comfortable. It could be the angle, but it looks as if the boots are a tad short on you in the front right now, before they drop at all.

I think otherwise you will have a boot that will be very noticeably short.

I'm guessing that the softer leather also won't give you quite the same knee issues!! Hopefully!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Default keeping the regulars!

Took them to the barn and the trainer (who used to work at Dover) loved them! She thought they were right on them money and will only be a smidge short when they drop if they do much more than they alreaddy have. Rode in them tonight and they didn't rub when riding, and I didn't get any blisters while walking around. Hopefully they will bring me good luck tomorrow at the show!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    I've heard that as well from an Ariat rep. I never wear mine with the zipper half-way because of this concern. I just wear paddock boots at shows until right before I go, then change back into the paddock boots when I'm done.
    I stand corrected, so to speak.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

I got a pair this past summer and I love them-fitted perfectly right off the mark and were pretty soft. Only problem I have had was the BAD achillies rub on one ankle! My fault as I didn't put protection on the rub after the first day and left the boots on way too long the second. As a result, I actually have a slight bow on that ankle and it is still giving me trouble 5 months later! Naturally, I will still wear the boots come show season but I WILL get some of those gel pads to protect my tendons!

Honestly, I would keep the regular heights. If you weren't comfortable before.... why would you want to buy talls again?

I have mega long legs (6', mostly leg) so as a result my off the rack boots are aalways too short. Does it affect your riding? No.

If you decide later that you wish they were taller, you can always take them to a show repair shop and get tops added that could make the front and Spansih cut taller, but leave the lower back to accomodate your leg injury.

Quote Originally Posted by 7Seven View Post
    Honestly, I would keep the regular heights. If you weren't comfortable before.... why would you want to buy talls again?

I have mega long legs (6', mostly leg) so as a result my off the rack boots are aalways too short. Does it affect your riding? No.

If you decide later that you wish they were taller, you can always take them to a show repair shop and get tops added that could make the front and Spansih cut taller, but leave the lower back to accomodate your leg injury.
    In the future, please try to check dates before posting, this thread is 6 months old. It keeps the board less cluttered if old posts aren't brought back up. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I love my Donatellos to but the rub I got in the one ankle was really bad and actually damaged my achillies tendon. My fault as I wore the boots too long when I first got them and didn't get a bandaid on soon enough. I have bought those gel sleeves to protect me from now on and i see there is a new sock on the market that does have padding in the ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    In the future, please try to check dates before posting, this thread is 6 months old. It keeps the board less cluttered if old posts aren't brought back up. Thanks!

Oh I don't know - 6 months is not so long (the 2007 & 2009 back from the dead topics, now those are old ) - especially as I missed it the first go around & am now hopeful that the OP will notice & post an update
    - with photos!

1 members found this post helpful.

As I was reading this thread (before I realized it was brought back from the dead) I was thinking to myself, "I have an opinion on this topic that I will share."

Then I read a reply and thought to myself, "Wow, that is exactly what I was going to say!"

Then I looked at the poster's name to see what genius had the same opinion as myself and noticed that it was my own comment that I had posted six months ago.

So apparently my opinions have not changed!!

4 members found this post helpful.