The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's a little hauling between friends??

Trailer owners: let's say you want to haul your horse out somewhere for a show/trail ride. You invite a friend and her horse along. What do you expect Friend to contribute financially to the cost of the trip? (Assume you're both coming from the same barn, so no extra travel to pick up/drop off Friend's horse.)

Trailer-less horse owners: What do you offer to pay for the same trip, above?

Obviously other factors come into play, at least in my opinion-- who did the inviting, how often these trips take place, etc. (For instance, a once-a-month haul 20 miles away for a trail ride, I wouldn't expect a friend to kick in a lot of extra, as opposed to if we were going somewhere every single weekend, I'd probably expect a little more towards wear & tear, oil changes, etc.)

I understand that you really can't "charge" to haul, or else you might be considered a commercial service, but I'm curious how others handle it-- both as the haulers and the haulees.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I've been on both sides of the situation multiple times. I always offered to pay all the gas, and split lunch....but usually my friend would only accept payment for half the gas (since we were going to the same place). I did the same when I hauled, only took half the gas $.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

I've been on both sides. Sometimes uncomfortably so.

For me, if I were inviting someone along for say a trail ride, I would not expect any payment. My only expectation would be to help clean up afterwards.

If I were being invited along, I would offer to chip in on gas, help clean up, etc.

In the past, I've hauled w/ a friend to lessons (from same barn to same barn) and was expected to pay $20 per trip for 60 min round trip each week. I thought that was kind of excessive, but I wasn't in a position to bargain.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Here's how polite, co-dependent people do it:

If you invite, you pay.

If you accept, you offer to pay at least part. spotted drafter has it right:

Quote Originally Posted by spotteddrafter View Post
    I've been on both sides of the situation multiple times. I always offered to pay all the gas, and split lunch....but usually my friend would only accept payment for half the gas (since we were going to the same place). I did the same when I hauled, only took half the gas $.

If you truly invited, however, you refuse any compensation.

That's the polite, co-dependent part: You always offer someone the shirt of your back; and You never take the shirt off someone's back. It works out really, really well when both sides know the dance.

If this is more of a business arrangement and the haul isn't part of you two having fun, but you both getting to a show, the inviter does accept the compensation from the invitee.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If I'm doing the inviting, I don't expect any recompense. Helping me unpack and clean out the trailer after we get back would be nice, though.

If they ask to hitch a ride with me, then I expect half the gas money to get there and back and they're definitely going to help clean out the trailer!
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

We're friends, right? So I do the same as if we are driving in a car together. Pay for some of the gas, pick up some of the snacks, that kind of thing. Show up with coffee. I also always help clean out the trailer at the end of the day if possible (some folks are very fussy and want to do it themselves). I've been on both sides of the equation and there have never been any hard feelings.

ETA: Have to admit the length of the journey makes a difference as to whether or not any gas money exchanges hands. Multiple hour trips we usually alternate fill ups. Short trips whoever is hauling refuses gas money. Snacks, on the other hand, are always freely shared. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post

In the past, I've hauled w/ a friend to lessons (from same barn to same barn) and was expected to pay $20 per trip for 60 min round trip each week. I thought that was kind of excessive, but I wasn't in a position to bargain.
    Depending on gas prices, $20 would just about cover the gas for a 60min trip, depending on the truck. So that's not that unfair, really. When towing, my truck gets an absolutely brutal 8mpg.

After a friend's horse dented my trailer (with no compensation from owner, of course), and after waiting multiple hours on multiple occasions for ill-mannered beasts to load, I no longer offer my trailering services to anyone. On the rare occasion I do offer to trailer someone now, it's when I know their horse is a flawless self-loader, just like all mine are.

If I invite you along I would be tickled if you offered to help pay for gas, and I think anyone with a brain knows how much gas/diesel costs and the truck/trailer, too- it's just courtesy to at least OFFER to help cover the costs if you're invited to ride along/take a horse.

I don't expect it, but I sure appreciate it.

I was once asked by a friend to haul her horse 100+ miles (one way) to a trainer's barn. I drove thirty minutes to get the horse and her...then drove toward the trainer's....and we stopped for diesel on the way and she (horse's owner) didn't move a muscle. I held out my hand and said "card?" and she was all slack jawed surprised...she said "I was going to buy your lunch??" ...and I said "Thank you, I appreciate that. You're also going to buy the diesel to move this horse LOL" Smile.

Who thinks diesel is free????

When I'm passengering with a friend, I've always paid for the gas and tolls if there are any. I figure they're incurring the wear & tear on their vehicle & I'm saved the need to have to haul myself. When I'm hauling a friend, they pay gas and tolls if there are any.

Back in the days before I had my own trailer and gas was $2 a gallon, another person wanted to know if I wanted to hitch a ride with them on her 2 horse to a horse show that was, literally, 2 miles down the road from the barn. I told her I would happily do whichever divisions most coincided with her schedule and asked what she wanted as far as money.

She wanted $50.

Now I HAVE a trailer, and I STILL think that is ric*ckulous.

I charge $.50/mile empty, $1.00/mile for one horse, and $.60/mile per horse with two horses loaded. So $50 gets you quite a bit further in my trailer, lol. Oh and btw, I have care custody and control insurance too, which most people who haul fellow boarders around (see $50 lady) do not.

What would I *like* to receive as compensation? Half the cost of gas would be great. What do I usually end up getting? $20 for multi-hour trips that require me to travel out of my way to pick up a horse that weighs 2x what my pony does and therefore takes a huge toll on my mpgs I need to stop being such a push over.

I think, for longer trips, at least half the cost of gas is appropriate. For short (<1 hour round trip) trips, buying lunch is a nice idea.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I've only been the guest in this scenario, but I always offer to split the gas if we are both going to the same place. If the hauler is going out of their way to get me, or bring me somewhere they wouldn't be going, I offer and expect to cover all the gas. If they refuse $$, I usually slip it in the glove box, or in their purse, when they aren't looking.

I also like to buy lunch and show up with coffee/water, etc. I expect to help clean out the trailer upon return as well.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

If I were being invited along, I would offer to chip in on gas, help clean up, etc.

I hope when you offer to "chip in" on gas you do it while watching the gas gague at the pump. It costs $125 (and counting) to fill my truck. Driving around UNHITCHED costs me $.25 a mile, which obviously increases notably when you add a trailer and then a horse.

Thus for me to drive my UNHITCHED truck the distance you describe (lets say you average 45mph), would cost me $22.50. Again, that is with the horse tied to the side mirror and trotting along on its own steam.

In addition, trailers need tires, maintenance, insurance and inspections so if you are in effect "using" the trailer each week with your friend, there is no reason she should just pay for all of that on her own as charity toward the trailer-less people who are also using her trailer when they ride along.

I paid a $950 trailer repair bill this year to have the ramp redone. I do not feel bad having everyone else who wants to me to drive them around in this nicely maintained trailer chip in a little over the gas towards maintaining it too. Plus the time it takes me to drive it around for you is time I could be spending teaching a lesson (for $) or proriding (for $). I like listening to the radio uncompensated as much as the next person but if I am not going to be compensated for that time or if I am actually GIVING UP lesson revenue to do a favor, I would just as soon not listen to the radio toting around an expensive, high maintenance, and high liability box.

So "chipping in" boils down to:
    1.) the gas
    2.) the maintenance to the trailer
    3.) the time spent by the hauler

(And even having spelled out the above, I still think $50 for a horseshow you are going to ANYWAY that is TWO MILES down the road is RIC*CKULOUS. )
    Last edited by meupatdoes; Oct. 19, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    ...and we stopped for diesel on the way and she (horse's owner) didn't move a muscle. I held out my hand and said "card?" and she was all slack jawed surprised...she said "I was going to buy your lunch??"
    I'd be like, OKEY DOKEY, let's put $15.00 in this tank and see how far we get!!

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

I agree with the offer of 1/2 gas, as well as refusing to accept payment if it is a short trip where both parties are wanting to go, and are decent friends.

A good friend and I had "the d@mn floating fifty" for quite some time; I offered a $50 for gas for a decent length trip once, she refused, so I tucked it on her visor when she wasn't looking....next time I drove I refused gas $, and the dang thing (same bill, lol) showed up in my console... rinse, lather, repeat for many years with the "hiding places" getting more and more interesting. Right before I moved out of state she had that now-rather-ragged bill framed for me as a memory of some great trips. Note: horses were roughly the same size, easy haulers, we had similar trucks/trailers, and trips were usually something both of us were looking forward to.

As far as meals, usually the non-driver would pick up the tab, and would definitely supply drinks and snacks of the driver's favorite variety as a thanks for driving.

My friends and I split gas. Generally the non hauler buys at least one meal (generally breakfast) or snacks. None of us really keep particularly careful track. It all seems to work out evenly in the end with us.

With the price of gas these days, and the "gasaholic" tendencies of many trucks, I would think $20 reasonable. For the lesson situation, same distance, I used to charge $15 (when gas prices were lower) and most of my lesson-buddies insisted on paying MORE! I would ask for at least $20 now, with gas nearly $5 a gallon.

In a show/trail ride situation, I would expect/have always offered, half the gas cost and always help with cleanup afterwards. My feeling in those cases is, if I were going anyway, then a little help with the gas is all I need, and it's just common courtesy to help with trailer cleanup. If I'm NOT going to a show and someone asks to be trailered, I pony up the release (friend or not) and expect ALL the gas to be paid for AND my time waiting at the show. Veterinary emergency, I only ask for gas money (I can only imagine how I'd feel if I were trailerless and needed to get my horse to a vet clinic in an emergency!)

Something like this broke up a beautiful friendship for me.
    Friend has truck and trailer but cannot see well enough to drive them. Agreement is for me to drive and haul both her and my horse to overnight show and share a hotel room have done this multiple times in the past worked great. We are at different barns 5 min apart. Pick up Miss Mare and my stuff 10 min max. Then on way to her barn it was "Oh by the way Cindy is going to share our room and ride down with us"! Now I don't like Cindy nor do I want to share a room with stranger. Get to the second barn her horse is not ready non of her stuff is packed and Cindy wants me to help load up her trunk in the pickup bed! . Took over an hour to load up everything adn get on the road. Miss mare was good standing around all that time. Get to show and set up all by myself as friend and Cindy are joined at the hip now. Tired and hungry we finally get to hotel I informed friend who now had Cindy and another underage child with her that the room was reserved in my name and I will not share with her strangers. Needless to say the drive home after the show was quiet. Not only all of this but after i did all the driving she expected gas money. Hunh if I had not drove she would not have been able to go but she wants me to pay more than my share?
    I did but don;'t speak to her anymore. I will buy my own d*$m trailer and use my truck!

If the ride was shared (person driving was bringing their horse for trail ride or show), I would offer to pay 1/2 the gas and would help pack and clean up for both of us.

If I was requesting the ride (and it was just my horse), I would offer to pay all the gas and would pack and clean up by myself.

I don't have a truck/trailer so I've depended on friends to move my horse to a new barn, take him to show, etc.

Seems to have worked well for me in the past.

For short trips, I normally just haul for free if we are going to the same place and I'm not really going out of my way to pick them up. Friends usually offer to buy snacks or drinks or something for everybody to enjoy.

For longer trips, the trailer owners provide the vehicles and the passengers pay the gas/diesel/whatever.