The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Partial Clip Suggestions?

So I have searched old threads on this topic, but I can't find quite what I'm looking for. I have a FURBALL warmblood. He is from Canada originally and never quite adjusted to the south, plus has some metabolic issues - he is severely insulin resistant and early Cushings. He grows an exceptionally thick and heavy coat - not a typical Cushings coat at all, it's very soft, but he is also very hot-natured, and is almost not workable right now, because he just gets so hot and sweaty almost immediately. As he requires consistent exercise to maintain his metabolic health, AND he is prone to anhydrosis, we have to body clip every winter. One other complicating factor - in September he had an eye removed due to a fungal infection. He is doing great and I don't anticipate it being an issue, but also don't want to push the limits since it's a fairly recent thing.

Soooooooooo, I'm looking for ideas on how to clip him. We've done all sorts of different clip jobs in past years - everything from a full body clip (excepting his head, which he is too much of a freak about) to a variety of trace clips. I'm not really attached to any one. He has a full range of blankets, although he rarely wears the heavyweight since even fully clipped, he tends to get too hot in it. We need to be able to ride him 3-4 times a week for about 45 minutes without him being miserably hot or taking hours to cool down. He is turned out during the day in wintertime, occasionally in rain (with waterproof blankets). He is boarded, and although they make an effort to keep him blanketed appropriately, they do not regularly switch out blankets mid-day, etc, so I can't do anything that will require frequent blanket changes to keep him comfortable. Thanks to his metabolic disorders, he does pick up rainrot and fungus fairly easily.

He isn't currently showing, so appearance is really not a concern - I want to find something that keeps him as comfortable and ridable as possible, and unconventional is perfectly okay. Any ideas on clip styles that have worked great for you in this situation?

I should say, in a similar situation - I'm pretty sure no other horse is quite like this one, he's a bit of a mess. But I love him :-)

I just clipped today...and did a strange combination that may work for your guy. I guess it's a variation on a blanket clip, but essentially I clipped a line like a trace clip along the neck and barrel (going higher than normal up the sides of the neck) and left the tummy hairy. So, there is something like a sidewall of clipped hide along the side of the horse, where they sweat the most (like a trace clip), but the tummy hair is left on gordon warmth. This particular horse lives in a loafing shed, and is in full work, so needs warmth where it counts. Hope that helps!

My gelding is clipped except for head,neck and legs really helps keep him from getting so hot when worked. I do have to blanket him other wise he gets cold.

Right now he has a turnout sheet with a liner under it its not that cold yet so saving blanket for colder weather.

I clipped my guy two days ago. I put a saddle pad on his back and took everything off from below where it sat along with the underside of the neck. So far I have left everything on his hiney but I may take take some off from that at a later date if needed.

I've always liked the look of what I've heard called a 'chaser clip. Draw a straight line from the ears to the stifle and clip everything below the line. Works rather well and is pretty easy. Takes enough off for most horses in work but leaves them enough that blanketing is simpler than a full clip.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Looking forward to trying some new variations!

I second the steeplechase clip.

Someone posted this on another thread I saw, and it shows the various types of clips. I found it useful for me as I haven't body clipped for a couple of years and I've been trying to decide what to do this year.

peasridge clipper advice

My previous trainer used to do what she called a lesson clip. Take a straight line from the top of the withers to the stifle and clip everything in front of the line except the legs. We leave the inside of the ears long. Just cut the hair flush with the front edge of the ear. I think she also clipped the inside of the hind legs a little bit. I guess you could leave the head long if your horse doesn't like his face clipped.

I don't like the look of a trace clip but don't mind a lesson clip. I wish I had a picture since that is likely the clip I am going to do for my horse this year.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by arlosmine View Post
    I just clipped today...and did a strange combination that may work for your guy. I guess it's a variation on a blanket clip, but essentially I clipped a line like a trace clip along the neck and barrel (going higher than normal up the sides of the neck) and left the tummy hairy. So, there is something like a sidewall of clipped hide along the side of the horse, where they sweat the most (like a trace clip), but the tummy hair is left on gordon warmth. This particular horse lives in a loafing shed, and is in full work, so needs warmth where it counts. Hope that helps!
    This sounds exactly like what I think I will do...trace clip but leave belly hairy. Might look a little odd by my horse lives out also and I think leaving hair down there is important
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I do that too -- front half of a trace clip, to just behind the girth. Taper off and leave the rest of the belly hairy. My guy lives out 24/7 in Maryland and is in full work. He's self care and I live 45 mins from barn, so this way I never need to blanket for warmth. I use a rain sheet for cold rain/ice.
    In your climate this might not be enough - I use a hair dryer on mild days to dry him off if he gets sweaty.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Here is a guide I always reference:

http://www.newrider.com/Library/Hors..._how_much.html

Quote Originally Posted by ArbGrl View Post
    Here is a guide I always reference:

http://www.newrider.com/Library/Hors..._how_much.html
    I like this one too. The little cartoon guy in various states of undress cracks me up.

Has anyone else heard of the belly & neck clip (as pictured in above link) being called a "pony clip"? or did I misremember/make that up.

I am thinking of doing this for my mare this winter. We now have a heated arena & I am concerned about her not being able to shed heat during work. I am hoping it will be enough.

Well, you can always clip a bit more off if it isn't enough.

I started on a 'chaser on my boy last night, will get it finished today, I hope. I've found this to be very practical in the past. The only downside is that it leaves an awful lot to shed out still!

I did some sort of version of a trace clip earlier today. The very-underside of the neck, and the girth area, as well as the hind-end, because this particular horse is a MOOSE and for the first time ever, I felt a couple bumps of rain-rot(!!). It must be the 2" long hair + random 65f weather + sweat, but, I've owned this horse for years and was horrified, so, away it went. Tomorrow I'll make some minor adjustments, but, it works. The neck could use some additional clipping, my pattern wasn't flattering once I clipped her butt (think hairless exercise-sheet).

It makes me LOL, because a full-body clip would be less time & effort than this trace-clip...concept & design implementation -- not on the same page