The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need something for ulcer preventative besides...

Double dose of ugard? He is happy as a clam on double the dose but pretty grumpy and moody with the standard dose. Treated him with pop rocks for a month and put him right on the maintenance ugard oer vet rec. $60 a month for ugard is a bit pricey. Any suggestions?
    Honey Badger don't give a s*#^!

"..a three-day event is not a test of speed and endurance, it is a test of character" ~JW

I did tons of research and now use slippery elm bark powder (ingredient in tons of ulcer supps), papaya enzyme tablets, and aloe juice. I also have slow feed hay nets in his stall, one for one flake alfalfa, the other for unlimited grass hay. I did blue pop rocks first, and have used this regimen for a full year since and no ulcers. My chiro who was a DVM for a year heard about papaya at a conference. A racetrack vet said all the trainers swear by it. I find the chewable tablets easiest to give, but paste or juice are ok, too. My guy gets 2 tsp slippery elm bark powder, 5 papaya enzyme tablets, a 1/2 cup Aloe juice, am and pm. Good luck!

I second the slippery elm, and i also give licorice root. I tried to phase out one or the other, but mare is only happy when she is getting both- her attitude sours after about a week without. She has never been scoped or treated with anything other than those two herbs- got them as a cheap try and see if it helps any, and they fixed her completely. She gets 1tbs of each herb in powdered form once a day.

Take a look at this article, some helpful suggestions. My mare has not had any recurrences since I adjusted her feed regime. I also feed 1/4 cup oat flour daily.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...micking-nature
    \"Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.\" Charles Dickens

I've been using a product I really like called Ulcer Shield. Fantastic results and very affordable. It's made by Choice of Champions.

www.silveroakflorida.com

All of our slow eating, picky eating, returning ulcers, and ulcer woes stopped when our barn started using RiteTrac by KER. I battled belly issues for YEARS. At one point was doing 1/4 tube UG daily. Horse was treated fully with Gguard after scoping but I could never get him back to 100%. Have always suspected Hindgut ulcers, and he was on Smartgut for a while too. Stopped Smartgut and UG, put him on Ritetrac and voila - happy, healthy looking horse who eats faster than he ever, ever did, eats well and hearty. Another ulcery horse in our barn is on it too with the SAME results. Worth every penny and backed by KER research.

Thank guys! Might I add that he is on the EPSM diet. Actually tweaked a bit to T/A and oil. Never had him tested but the diet change a lot.
    Honey Badger don't give a s*#^!

"..a three-day event is not a test of speed and endurance, it is a test of character" ~JW

I've got the perfect candidate for ulcers - the OCD TB mare. I give her none of these $ ulcer 'preventatives'. what works best is keeping her as natural as possible with turnout and plenty of roughage being key. She only comes in for grain 2x/day. If she has to stay in, for weather/show, I make sure she has hay in front of her 24/7. she gets a high fat, concentrated pellet so I can feed the minimum amount of grain needed for her activity level. I have also added soaked alfalfa cubes to her grain (not soaked for the ulcers, she just likes them wet and mushy). This adds both bulk to her grain and alfalfa has buffering properties.

The only time I give her ulcerguard is if she is going to be in the stall for multiple days, such as for a show or medical reasons.

ET
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

I have been using Neigh-Lox for years. My vet recommended it and it worked wonders for my horse. You can shop around on the internet and get a good deal.

I agree with ET, low starch diet, alfalfa hay, turn out and hay 24/7 if kept up helps a lot, but some horses are just more prone to ulcers than others.

Good luck