The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Saved my rooster from a coyote!

Sadly I didn't get there in time for one of my young hens.

I caught the coyote with my roo in his mouth and clapped my hands and he dropped him. I ran up and grabbed him and put him in the house!

I haven't seen a coyote in months!

We will see if he will live. He has some cuts on his back and is limping. Not a lot of blood and I doctored up his back.

Any suggestions?

Now his roo buddy is all alone out there, but I did bring the injured guy out to see him tonight so he knew he was alive. ( not sure if they care about stuff like that)

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

In my limited experience I have to say chickens are great healers.

I lost my rooster & 2 hens to a fox about a month ago and a fourth hen was injured - bites on her back. She walked odd for a couple days too.
    I did nothing, as she had scabbed over before I found the injury and she's fine today.
    If I had seen fresh wounds I would have treated with Blu-Kote to prevent the others from pecking at the wound.

You can add antibiotic to their water or syringe a dose into your rooster if he doesn't look to be healing cleanly.

My survivors - 4 hens - are now confined to their fenced yard since I saw the fox eyeing them from outside the fence a week after the attack.
    No more freerange buffet, Reynard!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Yes, they care about their friends-why wouldn't they?

I'm so glad you saved the poor guy! He must have been horrified. Years ago, our big Roo saved his girls from a night time raccoon raid. The girls all screamed so we were all shaken from our beds. We ran out with golf clubs and baseball bats to see the 'coon humping her way across the lawn, away from the chicken house, as fast as she could go. Roo was battered and bloodied but just as puffed up as he could be. I daubed H2O2 all over his wounds and that was that.

He went on to live a long life, attacking the UPS man and his truck, and lying in wait for the school bus, where he would jump up and flap on the bumper as it slowed to pick up our children!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Default Jingles ~ for your 'little one" AO ~

Jingles for your 'little one" ~ AO

Very sorry about your hen ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

I still have my roo in the house. He is eating and drinking, but still limping a little.

My other rooster sleeps on the porch at night so I have been putting him out for a few hours with him to eat bugs and walk around, but he still can't jump up on the perch.

How long should I leave him in the house?

He is just slow and gimpy and I am afraid he would be a huge target should a coyote come around again.

Sorry about your hen. Glad you were able to save your little guy. Hope he mends up quickly.

Ack, poor roo!

Can you get a quick makeshift coop built? It literally just takes screwing a square/rectangular frame and then either wire or plywood (or both) to fortify it, and a plywood piece cut for a door. that way he could be outside doing what chickens do, but protected.

Is he improving at least?

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

He is getting better, he us eatimg more and crowing now. Which is why i want him out of the house! I could make a coop i suppose.

I am just not very handy when it comes to that stuff! I can probably get my neighbor to help.

He is still limping a little, now sure if that will go away or not

I read about a Roo who lost toes due to frostbite, and got around on his little stump without any problems

A crowing rooster in the house