The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Schooling shows Seattle area/north of Seattle??

My guy is coming back from the trainer's in mid-Nov, and a friend and I want to hit some schooling shows (flat classes, maybe ground poles, dressage) this winter and spring.

Not much less than a bazillion hours away in Flying Changes, already checked. Lynden has some schooling jumper shows, but no flat classes and the ground pole classes are under 12 and under 18. Any barns having local fuzzy wuzzy shows within a couple hours of me?? Anyone??
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Check Polestar Farms in Granite Falls, Donida in Auburn, and at the Tacoma Unit #1 in Spanaway (Puyallup, really). That's all I know. There are supposed to be some on Whidbey where you are, but I've never officially seen them. You could also call around some barns in Woodinville, I used to see ads for shows when I boarded up there.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Yeah, there is one on the south end this coming weekend (or was it last?). And there used to be some at Wild Wood Farm, but not anymore. Or if they do, it's in house only. There were a couple other barns that used to have schooling shows that have closed down.

My guy doesn't come home until mid-Nov, and so far everyone's last show is in Nov. Boo! I'll keep my eyes open. I just want to get him some exposure as he's still "shy" about new experiences (trainer's polite way of saying spooktastic snortfest). Hence looking for the SMALL shows that lesson barns tend to hold in the winter...or at least did when I lived on the other side of the country!

Oh! Collinswood has a winter show series... $25 for four rounds. Not sure about flat classes, but worth looking into. It is in Stanwood.

http://collinswoodfarm.com/images/ShowFlyerDwnld.pdf

Eagle Mountain Ranch in Arlington has monthly schooling shows through the winter. I haven't been, but have heard it's very low key, and offers plenty of adult classes.

http://www.eaglemtnranch.com/page6funshows.html

Quote Originally Posted by Candle View Post
    . . .Tacoma Unit #1 in Spanaway (Puyallup, really). . .
    Just an fyi, it really is in Spanaway not Puyallup

Default Gold Creek

Check Gold Creek in Woodinville - they have had dressage schooling shows in the past.

Also possibly Windy Tides in Monroe.

Gold creek now has c rated shows through the winter both hunter and jumper. I think hunter on the 3rd Saturday and jumper on the 1st Saturday. I don't believe they do dressage shows in the winter anymore.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

just moved out here (live on kitsap pen) from area 2, so interested in seeing what's around. i'm going to a robin hahn clinic this weekend at nelson mittuch's northwind eventing in port orchard...i can ask if they know.

still trying to meet horsey peeps out here, so hi =)
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Quote Originally Posted by La Chasse View Post
    just moved out here (live on kitsap pen) from area 2, so interested in seeing what's around. i'm going to a robin hahn clinic this weekend at nelson mittuch's northwind eventing in port orchard...i can ask if they know.

still trying to meet horsey peeps out here, so hi =)
    La Chasse - on the jumper side of things on the peninsula we have Sandamar schooling shows during the winter (www.sandamarfarm.com).

I always aim for the Jumpernite shows as well (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jumpernite/202013683273) run by Starfire Farm, though they're over in Auburn (which is an easy haul-around). The first one will be run in conjunction with a little show that got postponed from October: http://www.jumpoffhorseshows.com/EFF/index.html

And I know a couple of barns that head to the Silver Spur shows, though I haven't ever been so I can't comment on what they're like:
    http://silverspurclub.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Gold creek now has c rated shows through the winter both hunter and jumper. I think hunter on the 3rd Saturday and jumper on the 1st Saturday. I don't believe they do dressage shows in the winter anymore.
    As far as I can tell, their shows end in Nov before Rory gets back.

I talked to Collinswood, they are not holding shows this winter due to low attendance last year, but are holding schooling rounds, $x for so many rounds. I'm waiting on email back about coming in and flatting.

Bummer that Collinswood isn't doing shows. I was thinking it would be fun to bring my fella up there for a few classes.

You could just haul Rory down to Greenbank and ride with us there if you want to get him out somewhere new. I can probably get some kids who will also ride so you can give him the group experience, if that works?

Yeah I love that idea! Indoor or outdoor? His Precious is fine with rain, but me not so much! PM me details!

There are some rail class type shows at www.flyingmstables.com just south of Olympia. There may be a pony club sponsored schooling type jumping show but only if we get it together :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    La Chasse - on the jumper side of things on the peninsula we have Sandamar schooling shows during the winter (www.sandamarfarm.com).

I always aim for the Jumpernite shows as well (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jumpernite/202013683273) run by Starfire Farm, though they're over in Auburn (which is an easy haul-around). The first one will be run in conjunction with a little show that got postponed from October: http://www.jumpoffhorseshows.com/EFF/index.html

And I know a couple of barns that head to the Silver Spur shows, though I haven't ever been so I can't comment on what they're like:
    http://silverspurclub.org/
    Thanks for the info!
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."