The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default NYC: Spooked Horse Knocks Carriage into Traffic

http://gothamist.com/2013/09/26/phot...s_his_carr.php

Uh, oh... The RARAs will be out soon.

"the one and only industry burdened with zero tolerance for mishap"
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

11 members found this post helpful.

People buy horses for X discipline and discover horse isn't suited to X discipline all the time. Unfortunately, the carriage horse folks' discovery of this fact happens on a world stage.

And I agree - why is this the only equestrian pursuit allowed zero mishaps?
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarnRules View Post
    And I agree - why is this the only equestrian pursuit allowed zero mishaps?
    Because it's the only one sitting a cool billion or two dollars worth of recurring income from developed land for Manhattan condos, duh!

22 members found this post helpful.

I'm still disgusted by those nutty anti carriage people who seem to take great joy when things go wrong with a carriage - its like they wait...frothing at the mouth... in anticipation of getting photos and video of a troubled horse or carriage driver. How about some sympathy and support, and, hey, crap happens? NYC ought to ban cars and buses and cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road if they are going to ban the horse carriages. More people killed by cars than anything else.

16 members found this post helpful.

I'm not especially against carriage companies, but I will say that when I lived in Chicago, I frequently saw carriage horses that were a bit too jazzed up to be safely mingling with traffic. The passengers were usually hopelessly ignorant of the danger they were in, but the drivers in these instances typically appeared to be quite aware that they were in a dangerous situation.

I remember one younger looking horse just tweaking out in the middle of an intersection while waiting to turn left, jigging in place, bouncing, lathered, and pretty upset. I was pretty sure he was going to bolt forward into the oncoming traffic they were waiting for before they could turn left. It was pretty scary. The driver looked terrified. The passengers were laughing. Yikes.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripsy View Post
    NYC ought to ban cars and buses and cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road if they are going to ban the horse carriages. More people killed by cars than anything else.
    When you think about how slow traffic moves and how many times you stop within just a mile, all that fuel wasted, horsepower makes for more sense. NYC was built around the limiting factor of horse powered transportation.

12 members found this post helpful.

I lived in Brooklyn, worked on 51st & Madison & then at Barney's next to CP, so saw quite a lot of the carriage industry on a day to day.

Why is it that we can't reach a compromise, or rather - would it hurt the carriage industry so much that we can't just designate them only run only within the 2 more scenic parks of the city - Central & Battery?

i.e. don't allow them on major thoroughfares, only within the park grounds on designated carriage paths?
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post
    I lived in Brooklyn, worked on 51st & Madison & then at Barney's next to CP, so saw quite a lot of the carriage industry on a day to day.

Why is it that we can't reach a compromise, or rather - would it hurt the carriage industry so much that we can't just designate them only run only within the 2 more scenic parks of the city - Central & Battery?

i.e. don't allow them on major thoroughfares, only within the park grounds on designated carriage paths?
    Oh, a voice of reason and compromise! Be prepared for vitriol.

20 members found this post helpful.

Even better if, in addition, they could move the stables to the park with some small paddock space. I would think it could be a huge tourist attraction. Maybe the city could buy out the carriage owners and put the drivers on the city payroll.

***I have absolutely no idea if this is a realistic idea.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

10 members found this post helpful.

don't smite me, but can someone tell me what RARAs stand for?! my mind makes the conclusion it's Retar*** Animal Rights Activists... but I think this jump is wrong??
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

1 members found this post helpful.

Radical Animal Rights Activists. Like PETA. However, sometimes RARA is also used to cover an animal welfare advocate. They are not the same thing.

6 members found this post helpful.

It's my understanding that the idea of moving them to the Park has been around for umpteen years. Many decades. It hasn't been allowed. So discussing it is, unfortunately, nothing more than an intellectual exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Even better if, in addition, they could move the stables to the park with some small paddock space. I would think it could be a huge tourist attraction. Maybe the city could buy out the carriage owners and put the drivers on the city payroll.

The park patrol horses live at the Central Park Zoo, so it's not entirely unrealistic.

I *do* think it would be unrealistic to have carriage rides in Battery Park, as another poster suggested. It's not nearly large enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Oh, a voice of reason and compromise! Be prepared for vitriol.
    Well I also understand "compromise" is not in the RARA's vocabulary. All they know how to do is piss & moan about things they have no idea about.

I was thinking more a conversation between the Carriage owners & the City Officials (though I know some of those are influenced by aforementioned RARA's).
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

2 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=Paragon;7188438 It hasn't been allowed. [/QUOTE]

Why? Any legitimate reasons given?

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    It's my understanding that the idea of moving them to the Park has been around for umpteen years. Many decades. It hasn't been allowed. So discussing it is, unfortunately, nothing more than an intellectual exercise.
    Personally, I could really get behind it. I'm guessing others would as well.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

It isn't but Michaleen Flynn will have to provide you with the reasons - aside from the fact that there is not room for 220 horses in CP in addition to everything else that goes on in the Park.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

The only time the horses are on a "major thoroughfare" is when they are on Central Park South waiting for fares (and they then travel through Central Park) and they are allowed in Times Square late in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Why? Any legitimate reasons given?
    I believe it has something to do with the Central park conservancy. I am sure if it was a possibility the drivers/owners would have gotten behind it.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

2 members found this post helpful.