The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hoof Temperature Gun

Hi guys,

While the vet was out today he used a small hand held device that read the surface temperature of my horses feet at various points. I asked him about it and he explained how it worked and it seemed pretty neat.

Has anyone else heard of this? I've been trying to find it on the Internet to research it more and the closest I can come up with is the link below.

http://www.raytek.com/Raytek/en-r0/P...ld/Default.htm

What are your thoughts on this?

I've got one. It's really cool. Both my vet and farrier rolled their eyes. I've not had any problems where it might be useful, but I have one!

Yes, my farrier has used one before, although I don't see it often. I think it was when we were talking about heat in one hoof and comparing them, but I can't even remember which horse or why (now THAT is a sign that I have too many horses with too many problems!).

I actually picked one up after that, from an automotive tool place on sale, thinking it might be useful for monitoring my IR horse should he have another laminitis episode. He hasn't, knock on wood, so haven't tried it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbow View Post
    I've got one. It's really cool. Both my vet and farrier rolled their eyes. I've not had any problems where it might be useful, but I have one!
    Neat do you mind me asking which brand? Also has it ever help you detect any problems ahead of time?

I got one at Pepboys for about $50. Handy for isolating the location of inflammation and way more accurate than feeling with your hands. Mine has a laser pointer - entertaining for the barn cats to chase the little red don around the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    I got one at Pepboys for about $50. Handy for isolating the location of inflammation and way more accurate than feeling with your hands. Mine has a laser pointer - entertaining for the barn cats to chase the little red don around the barn.
    Lol good to know! I believe I will go invest in one at the very least I can start tracking what normal temperature is for my horses feet especially while we are dealing with this founder issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

Both the Vet and Farrier where I used to board have been using them for a couple of years. Very handy devices.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Interesting. K - that reminds me - were you shown how to check the digital pulses?

Another thing. IIRC - years ago a horse that I helped with - after he foundered - seems someone was explaining separation to a group of us - and the person took the end of the hoofpick? - and lightly tapped down the front of the hoof - from hairline to ground. We could hear solid connection from hairline down a ways - then the tapping started sounding different - and towards the end of the hoof it was rather hollow sounding.
    Lyme Disease - please excuse my comprehension difficultes

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    Neat do you mind me asking which brand? Also has it ever help you detect any problems ahead of time?
    Actually, I think it's the one in your link.

I played with it for a few weeks, charting hoof temperatures during the day. I think it was a farrier on this forum that mentioned them a few years ago and I bought one.

I bought it thinking it would help identify an abscess, laminitis, tendon inflammation etc. Since I've had it, I've just had a long streak of good luck and now it sits in my first aid kit.

From what I'm able to tell, I think it would be very useful for those things. If I don't ever have to use it, still money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Both the Vet and Farrier where I used to board have been using them for a couple of years. Very handy devices.
    Seems I'm late to this party then! It makes good sense though!

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabs View Post
    Interesting. K - that reminds me - were you shown how to check the digital pulses?

Another thing. IIRC - years ago a horse that I helped with - after he foundered - seems someone was explaining separation to a group of us - and the person took the end of the hoofpick? - and lightly tapped down the front of the hoof - from hairline to ground. We could hear solid connection from hairline down a ways - then the tapping started sounding different - and towards the end of the hoof it was rather hollow sounding.
    Yep I know how to take digital pulse unfortunately this horse never had a change in it detectable by me the farrier or vet.

Isn't it interesting how something as little as the noise can be quite telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbow View Post
    Actually, I think it's the one in your link.

I played with it for a few weeks, charting hoof temperatures during the day. I think it was a farrier on this forum that mentioned them a few years ago and I bought one.

I bought it thinking it would help identify an abscess, laminitis, tendon inflammation etc. Since I've had it, I've just had a long streak of good luck and now it sits in my first aid kit.

From what I'm able to tell, I think it would be very useful for those things. If I don't ever have to use it, still money well spent.

Lucky you knock on wood that you won't need it!

I'll have to invest in one!

My vet used one when investigating an abscess in my mare. He was able to detect a 2-degree difference between one heel bulb and the other, on the same hoof, allowing him to localize the site of the abscess and confirm that it was still active. I thought it was super cool.

I've got one and I really like it. I had a mare with a bad abscess in her toe and we were able to see the delta in temperature both between the heel and toe, and also between feet (which is, of course, not a scientifically accurate assessment). I've used it more than I thought I would, and while it's not something I would consider a "have to have," it is an "interesting to have."

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UH6jT45Xu04

The reviews for this product in particular were very good. Add you can't beat the price.

How cool!

I'm going to add one of these to my Christmas Wish List!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I've had one for years (a Raytek) and love it. It's useful for more than just hoof temp monitoring as it works on legs, too.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

um, neat....

but, isnt it less expensive to just place your hand on the horse's hooves (and compare), and/or check for digital pulse????? wouldnt the outcome be the same?????

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post
    um, neat....

but, isnt it less expensive to just place your hand on the horse's hooves (and compare), and/or check for digital pulse????? wouldnt the outcome be the same?????

Hi yes technically but in researching it looks like the average person can't tell a difference until about a five degree change. Therefore horses prone to problems such as abscesses, founder, etc if you know what their normals are you may catch a problem sooner then normal.

Also, an increased digital pulse doesn't always appear in all horses unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post
    um, neat....

No.