The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    There's another picture down below that has two handlers on either side of a bank, lunging two horses over said bank at the SAME time....wtf??? You couldn't pay ME to put my horse somewhere that thinks jumping over huge rocks and jumping two horses over an obstacle at the same time is okay.

Well, that happens at the end of pair competition in hunter paces. Both horses are under saddle and the obstacle is always wide enough for two horses.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Meh. I'll bet if the horse hit the rock, he'd roll off it.

Now this horse really isn't jumping it well and I'd be concerned this horse doesn't have the scope it takes to clear this wide rock from the slow canter I think the human at the end of the lunge could create.

In fact, I don't see the purpose of teaching a horse how to jump in hand this way. Is it about some special kind of obedience? Can any CA afficionados explain?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I find his methods pretty "rough", so although I'm not a hater, I'm not a supporter either.

Seems like he's getting all caught up in the hype of "Who's the best "natural horsemanship" trainer. By lunging horses over rocks. -facepalm-

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Why would you want to teach a horse to hump giant rocks?
    That was my first impression! LOL
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

1 members found this post helpful.

Where do I sign up for the program where the horse gets to the lunge the human over the giant rock?

Now THAT I'd pay to watch.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Hahahaha – CA supporter must have found this thread – and went through and “thumbs downed” every comment that criticized the photo – funny.

Hope you feel better now! Have fun rock crawling with your horse (I have friends really into rock crawling, but they use jeeps).

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Hahahaha – CA supporter must have found this thread – and went through and “thumbs downed” every comment that criticized the photo – funny.

Hope you feel better now! Have fun rock crawling with your horse (I have friends really into rock crawling, but they use jeeps).
    Good to know my opinion wasn't the only one thumbed down. Good grief.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I am really starting to loath the "thumbs down"
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    No, most of them are solid and stay put if they're hit. We're starting to get frangible pins and styrofoam logs, but they're the exception, not the rule.

Photo is stupid though- not even sure what they're trying to show.
    Who disliked this?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

3 members found this post helpful.

^^^ the same CA supporter that thumbs down every post not praising CA (and my post pointing that out) would be my guess! Lets see if this gets thumbs down - are you following this tread thumb happy?

Please tell, what is the benefit of horse rock crawling?

6 members found this post helpful.

Pretty childish to dislike something then not even own up to it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I was wondering why a post I made two weeks ago got thumbed down...then I realized everyone had been thumbed down. Grow up, people!

Hah I was got thumbs downed too on this thread then noticed that there was one thumbs down on each comment. Hahaah at least own up to it.

CA supporter, please explain the reasoning behind lunging your horse over rocks.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

wow... hadn't even noticed the thumbs down till it was pointed out!!! As the OP of this thread, I was commenting on the photo, NOT CA or his methods!! WOW, someone out there (who doesn't have the guts to step up BTW) is REALLLLLLY sensitive....

hard to watch indeed

someone has gone through and "Thumbs Downed" all the posts on the bit hobbles thread, too. Someone just likes little red thumbs and has a lot of time on their hands.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    I am not sure that there would be many trainers worth that amount for starting my horse for 6 weeks. It is a bit concerning to me that they say girth galls are common and that you cannot visit or observe the horse being worked.

I have never galled a horse that I have kept up properly (even in heavy work), except for one mare that was very thin skinned and reacted badly to the neoprene, but in a nice mohair she was comfy.

Same with the rock thing. I think it's great to work with horses with many obstacles and develop confidence, etc, but I am not sure what the goal there besides possibly injuring the horse? Anyone seen this obstacle in person and can comment on it?
    Where did you see that? I did notice after I got over the shock of the picture that the poor horse looked like it had a pretty sore looking rub mark right where the girth would go.

I can't even imagine that that effort turned out at all safe. I am even more amazed that the horse even attempted to do something like that. Most horses that I have met seem to at least have some sense of self preservation when it comes to something they know they can't clear....

I am not a fan of natural horsemanship simply because I have seen it do a lot more harm than good in the hands of an amatuer.

As to the thumbs down, I have gotten a thumbs down on the most random of posts, even posts that were putting a posistive spin on a certain product. *shrug* I just chalked it up to a spammer.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Why would you want to teach a horse to hump giant rocks?
    Yeah, I'm not sure that thing can be impregnated either. Extremely goofy. What where they thinking?!?!?!?

So you pay $4,714 for one of his students to gain training experience? I used to be a big fan of CA, even rode with him for a time. But that was back when he drove around in an old beater El Camino and was lucky to have 5 riders show up! I just can't understand all the rushing around and bracing. I can take hold of a leadrope and know if a horse has been trained following "The Method". Yuck, its all about the poor things escaping pressure and staying ahead of the "spank" and not a bit of feel. Couldnt pay me enough to even sit through one of his TV shows!

That horse in the photo in question looks so beaten down he'd do anything asked just to get it over with. No life or interest in his face at all. Poor guy.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert