The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Black Points View Post
    You might be thinking of this helmet, HS1

http://www.bpequine.com

Well, thank goodness gmail never deletes anything =) I just found what I think was an email about it. The company is MIPS and it's Norwegian. http://mipshelmet.com/home

re: mouthguards preventing brain injury- i am not sure about that. i just did a quick search on pubmed re: mouthguards and TBI and no paper fully corroborated the evidence that it does much. =( good thought tho... there are a lot of studies on concussion reduction technology, so maybe someone else has a paper in the pipeline?
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

I just googled the CO 4*. How disappointing that the smallest size is a 6 7/8. And apparently the Gatehouse is not sold in the US. Boo hiss!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Frugalannie, I had no idea and am very glad you are well enough to post here! Please heal quickly!

Helmet technology always seems to be evolving. I do remember many years ago when Dru Malavase fought so hard to bring safer helmets to kids in Pony Club and how hard that fight was. It seems so easy today to promote helmets among riders, there are many types and styles, many very attractive to those who care what they look like; many very functional and economic; many with good protection, so much better than years ago. We have to stay open to good, new products and be willing to try them to keep the manufacturers working for us. The more we discuss this stuff, the more people read the threads, the better. We who ride English accept the helmet paradigm; but remember, it was only this year, 2012, that Elisa Wallace won the traditionally western Mustang training challenge in a Charles Owen helmet. (And her outstanding feat earned her a Charles Owen sponsorship, which I think makes that company just about the smartest outfit going!)
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by La Chasse View Post
    re: mouthguards preventing brain injury- i am not sure about that. i just did a quick search on pubmed re: mouthguards and TBI and no paper fully corroborated the evidence that it does much. =( good thought tho...
    Wow LaChasse - I did the same google search and came up with the same. Seems the definitive study came out in 2009 debunking the mouthguards and TBI prevention theory. My son quit playing around 2007/2008 and I hadn't kept up with the studies after that. Interesting that the evidence never really backed it up. I stand corrected, and newly informed!

Duplicate Post (feeping computers!)

[QUOTE=La Chasse;6699457]Well, thank goodness gmail never deletes anything =) I just found what I think was an email about it. The company is MIPS and it's Norwegian. http://mipshelmet.com/home
    /QUOTE]

La Chasse, Glad you're using gmail. I hadn't seen that helmet but it sounds like the same thing as the EXO. I asked the Gatehouse folks if they were using the EXO and they just said that it was something like that. It may be that CO is using the same thing to but they all want to call it by a different name so theirs can be unique.

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

well, gmail doesn't delete stuff, but i do clean out my trash. just a little type A ! and i can't find the actual email from communication with one of the researchers. i think i found him via a journal article and emailed him directly. i can't remember....

@northwoods- yeah, stuff changes all the time. glad you were able to see it though and that your son is no worse for wear. =)

it does seem like everyone has their own recipe- gatehouse, CO etc. my hope is that every recipe includes keeping brains safe and that they remain affordable to replace after a fall or Q 5 y or whatever the new recommendation is.

at least the new helmets are better and from what I know, safer, than those horrible 1st edition astm-sei approved bowling-ball helmets in the late 80s. i remember *HATING* that pony club required the big ass helmet.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."