The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Default I jumped today - first time in 3 yrs!! :-D

Just had to share with people who would understand....

So I haven't ridden consistently in 3 years, with the exception of a summer as a wrangler out west (obviously pretty intensive riding, but western!). I finally found a barn I like the look of in NC, so went out to "visit" today. I loved it, walked around with the owners & trainer. They breed, so they showed off some of their GORGEOUS stallions and I got to pet some babies which was fun .

Of course I ended up riding! I guess after nearly an hour of talking to me about my riding background, goals etc they figured I wasn't lying when I said I could ride. After some discussion they decided to have me ride an Arab mare, who was described as being "sensitive and responsive, great to jump (unlike a lot of Arabs), not for a beginner, but a fun ride." Sounds perfect! She was really fun - we walked over to the outdoor which is on the edge of the property, she was looky but not spooky. First I tried her at WTC, the trainer pretty much let me go at my own pace and offered advice when I asked, which was fine as this was more of a trial than a lesson.

Now, I haven't jumped in easily over 3 years. I've always been kinda scared of jumping, more in later years for various reasons including a nasty fall XC on my previous horse. There were a few small jumps in the arena, and I asked if I could point her towards one, trainer said sure. It was SO MUCH FUN - I felt soooo secure & in control, stayed in 2 pt before and a few strides after after, but really enjoyed it!! After trotting that one we tried at small vertical (maybe 2ft?) at the canter, and whee!! I was grinning so much after the trainer said, "you're definitely not a dressage person, you like jumping!!"

I'm going for a lesson next week & to sort out a lease!!!! So excited to ride again!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D
    Last edited by Event4Life; Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: comprehension error - whoops!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

That's awesome, post some pics of your new maresy!

Fantastic! We definitely need pictures :-)

Thanks guys It was an awesome day/ride...& I knew you all would want pics, will try to get some next time I go out!! YAY!!
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

WOOT!

One of these days I will sort out some sort of lesson schedule. Haven't ridden consitantly in years

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    WOOT!

One of these days I will sort out some sort of lesson schedule. Haven't ridden consitantly in years

P.
    That's the problem with us world travellers/people-who-live-abroad...traveling/living abroad can be as expensive, if not more, than riding/keeping horses! Tough decisions, but I hope you find a way to ride soon!!

Yup exactly that! You would think living on a horse farm there would be something that I could ride but bosses don't want us riding the "babysitters' and not sure if they are to keen on having personal horse on property either which makes life slightly more difficult.

Now that its light later in the evening I should be able to co ordinate some rides with a friend hopefully. *crosses fingers* At least I have oodles of horses to cuddle with and foals are starting to come home in a couple weeks too ! Woot!

P.