The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Renewing Insurance Policy Health Update

I received information on renewing my insurance policy on my horse this last week. I did not make any claims this last year, but they ask for me to give any updates on my horses health. Basically, asking if I called the vet out for anything other than maintenance care. My horse did have a mild gas colic or stomach issues when the weather dropped but a dose of banamine and we were back to normal. It says that if I do not disclose everything I could be at risk for not being full covered.

My question is do you tell them everything that happened to your horse throughout the past year? Are they going to raise my major medical cost since my horse did have something?

This is the first time I have renewed an insurance policy so I am just wondering what other people do when they renew their policies.

Thank you!

I always disclose everything. Why run the risk of having your claim denied when you need it the most? I doubt they will raise your rates, however, you may be subject to an exclusion, but probably not based on what you describe. While I've never a colic to disclose, I've had other stuff and I was never denied coverage. Heck, after they paid out a bundle for a torn tendon, my rate remained the same but that entire leg was excluded. Can't say I blame them.

As far as what "other people do"; some tell the truth, others lie.

Always answer the questions honestly. That way they have the correct information to base the policy on. Usually for a one-time, mild colic episode, if it occurred quite a time prior to the policy renewal (usually a few months), they won't bother to exclude. Sometimes if it was right before the renewal date they'll exclude to begin with but you could look at getting it reviewed a few months into the policy. At least that way they can't come back to you saying that something was non-disclosed. Always better to be honest and provide as much details as possible.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

I always answer honestly, as any deception could come back to bite you. If I had to have the vet out, like to treat a colic or stitch something, I disclose. But if I called my vet because Dobbin was acting a little punky, discussed by phone, and just treated it myself (banamine for a mild colic or such), I probably wouldn't bother to mention it since the vet didn't come out, I wasn't billed for anything, and it all resolved fine. Otherwise, my health report would be a book!

I agree anything the vets comes and treats goes on there. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about anything I've treated myself since it wasn't confirmed with a vet.

You said the horse had a mild gas colic or stomach issue that banamine took care of. Was this treated by a vet or you suspected a stomach issue and self treated first?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    You said the horse had a mild gas colic or stomach issue that banamine took care of. Was this treated by a vet or you suspected a stomach issue and self treated first?
    I called the vet but just gave her some banamine paste based off of his recommendation which took care of it. He did not end up having to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by warmbloodlover11 View Post
    I called the vet but just gave her some banamine paste based off of his recommendation which took care of it. He did not end up having to come out.
    That's kind of tricky to me since the vet didn't come out and personally see the horse. Honestly I'd probably not worry about it but maybe ask your vet.

If you called the vet, then there is a record of it and you should def let your insurance know. My mare colicked 1x in the 16 years that I owned her, a very mild gas colic, but they still excluded colic from her coverage for 1 year. I actually treated it with banamine and she was fine but it was so unusual for this horse that I called the vet for a consult after the fact. Everything was found to be normal, no issues, but we thought perhaps she wasn't drinking enough and put her back on the electrolytes.

But if the vet wasn't involved then there is no record for it. So I wouldn't necessarily report it. I guess my thoughts are that if it was not serious enough to be vetworthy, then it's not that big of a deal. And they will likely exclude covering colic for a period of time, no matter how mild it was. Believe me, they look for reasons to exclude stuff when you renew.

My mare has had several injuries / illnesses over the years, and I've notified the insurance even though I've never had to make a claim - because the vet was called and the horse was treated. For tendon injuries, WNV, stuff like that, they didn't exclude. But for a 'hint' of colic ? They will.

You really should report everything that involved a vet (excluding routine stuff of course like vax, teeth floating, etc.). As someone said, even if you just called the vet and they prescribed something over the phone, there is a record of it. If something happens to your horse and you file an insurance claim, they will want a report from your vet and he will have to disclose any issues - and they could use those undisclosed issues as a reason to deny your claim, or lessen the amount they will pay.

Should hock injections be reported ?

I report anything that involved a billed vet expense during the year previous, including injections. I figure, if they call the vet to verify, I don't want it to look like I am hiding anything. In my experience, if the insurance company feels something is too big a risk to insure, they will exclude it from coverage. I have not had injections cause any exclusions to date.

Quote Originally Posted by qhwpmare View Post
    Yes. I just disclosed exactly that and still got insured with no exclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by qhwpmare View Post
    For my renewals, the form always asked specifically about joint injections, so, yes, I report them (answer the form's question honestly). Guess it depends on how your renewal form is worded. I suspect they are all pretty detailed.