The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update on Harry

Hey folks,

Just thought I would update on Harry in case anyone is wondering how he is doing.

I took him to the horsepital last week to be scoped... we had done some dx at home, but basically all we could ascertain was that he did not respond to any of the allergy/copd remedies we tried including dex, albuterol, bute, cough free, anti-histamine, etc. All tried separately of course.

The scope confirmed that mechanically he is fine.. they found a lot of bumps in his trachea - evidence of irritation, and mucous way down the bottom. The type of mucous led them towards COPD but they said his lungs didn't sound like COPD at all. So, we did some bloodwork and they found a high white cell count but no ( I don't know how to spell this ) ecenephils... which would indicate allergy. We also took chest xrays... and the conclusion is that is is asymptomatic (no temp, does not appear ill other than random cough, but has had a loooonnnggg term infection, possibly multiple bugs, and has bronchitis and interstitial pneumonia. They did a trach wash and sent the results off for culture.

He has had this infection likely since he was 1 1/2 or so since he went to begin training as a race horse as they had the same problem with him then. Nobody caught what was up because he is basically completely asymptomatic. The vets all sat down together and had a pow wow about him as it was a baffling case. The attending vets kept saying during the initial exams/scope ... this just doesn't all fit together...

Anyways, he is now on a strong broad spectrum anti-biotic injection once per day. His temp is being monitored and once the culture results come back we'll get him on targeted anti-biotics, which he will be on a strong course of for quite a while to try to clear this chronic infection out of him.

The outlook is cautiously good. If he responds well with the anti-biotics he can expect to have a normal, wonderful life as a eventer or whatever.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Fingers crossed. If you haven't already...start him on some probiotics.

We had a mare here with something very very similar. I can't remember what she ended up being treated with (maybe SMZs) but it took a while to clear up. Had to keep up the treatments long after she seemed fine. She presented with a cough...and then every once in a while would spike a temp but most of the time, just had the cough.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Harry is a very cute, and very lucky guy.

Ditto BFNW on the probiotics.

Glad to hear he will hopefully be on the mend! Keep us posted.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Oh, thanks for bringing up the probiotics... I had not thought of that. I usually only connect that with digestive health, but it makes sense for other things, too!

The clinic just called and they found two bugs in the culture... they want me to get an additional bottle of Naxil or Naxcel (howeveryaspellit)... and continue with those injections daily until all three bottles are used up, then switch to Exceed... and do an injection every four days, four times.

I had tried putting him on a long run of SMZ's before, just to try it, but it didn't seem to make a difference for him.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    Oh, thanks for bringing up the probiotics... I had not thought of that. I usually only connect that with digestive health, but it makes sense for other things, too!

The clinic just called and they found two bugs in the culture... they want me to get an additional bottle of Naxil or Naxcel (howeveryaspellit)... and continue with those injections daily until all three bottles are used up, then switch to Exceed... and do an injection every four days, four times.

I had tried putting him on a long run of SMZ's before, just to try it, but it didn't seem to make a difference for him.
    How weird. But I was worried it was going to end up being something that'd require major surgery or something along those lines, so fingers and toes crossed that antibiotics do the trick. Poor dude.

naxcel is a wonderful antibotic, and the excede is just a long term version of naxcel, just only not everyday ,every 4 days. good luck and hope it all works out for you both.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

1 members found this post helpful.

Good luck, I hope Harry makes a full and rapid recovery.

Good luck!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

It's great you got a diagnosis! It's almost impossible to treat effectively without one - but they can be hard to get.

Good on you for persisting! Lots of jingles from Virginia, but it sounds like he is well on his way. I'll third the probiotics. Strong antibiotics are NOT fun to be on, but the results are well worth the temporary discomfort.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Just added the probiotics to an order I placed last night! I knew I was forgetting something. Glad you posted LLDM!!

I feel kind of bad that we waited so long to take him to the hospital. My local vet was astounded that he was sick because they've seen him and seen that he has no symptoms. After the basic stuff we did at home I just waited and saved up to take him up there and I figured we'd find something mechanical. Poor Harry... hopefully this clears everything up. I'll be bringing him back for a recheck in a couple weeks or so.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Brought Harry back to the clinic last week. He is no better. They scoped him again and took more chest x-rays. If anything they think he is slightly worse. They gave me two more shots of Exceed and a months worse of prednisone to see if that can reduce the inflammation (interstitial pneumonia) in his lungs. If he is no better by the end of the trial of prednisone then we'll know that doesn't help him either. At that point I will put him down unless someone wants a pasture pet or a 4 yr old greenbroke TB for pleasure/trail. Obviously would need to be an advanced rider who doesn't want to do much. Seeing as I've been trying to give him away for months I don't hold out much hope of finding someone, so he'll likely be put down.

If the prednisone works I'll put some more basic dressage on him and try to give him away as a lower level dressage mount. They said even if it works his stamina will always be affected, but he should be able to do flatwork and probably like a hunter course or something, but XC is probably out.

He has been on the prednisone for a week now and he is no better, so I don't have much hope.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Boo. Sorry to hear that!

1 members found this post helpful.

Harry is no better after the prednisone. Basically there is nothing that can be done for him. If anyone is interested in having him as a pasture pet please contact me within 24 hours. I can't drag this on forever. It's very upsetting to me that I haven't been able to help him.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    Harry is no better after the prednisone. Basically there is nothing that can be done for him. If anyone is interested in having him as a pasture pet please contact me within 24 hours. I can't drag this on forever. It's very upsetting to me that I haven't been able to help him.
    I'm so sorry. You did help him....probably more than most people would have done. Sorry you are having to make such a hard decision but it sounds like to correct one for him.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I'm so sorry as I know this is sooooo heartbreaking. I've had to make this sort of decision before, and it takes a chunk out of your heart. You have done so much for Harry.

Sadness here in Virginia

Thanks guys. Having just gotten screamed at by the owner of a rescue near me about what a horrible person I am, I appreciate your comments. She was basically telling me (ranting at me) how completely overwhelmed she was and that she is in the midst of losing her farm and that she didn't have time to talk on the phone and if I emailed her maybe she could help me in her spare time. I said, well maybe I will just put him down and I was going to continue to say because it sounds like you are really overwhelmed and he isn't going to be easy to place. But I didn't really get to finish, barely actually got a word in edgewise the entire conversation because she then started ranting more loudly that I pissed her off and I was a horrible person, etc. What a nutjob. This was after not returning a phone call for 5 days. Well, I know what local rescue won't be getting any donations from me. ugh.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com