The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding in Winston-Salem, NC

I'm moving to Winston-Salem, NC in January and need to find a place to put my horse. He requires a substantial amount of turnout (to keep him tummy happy) so pasture board is an option. Any ideas? Also hoping to find someone to half lease him to help offset the costs and I'll be so busy with school I doubt that riding consistently will be an option. My horse is an 8 year old Warmblood gelding that I show in the A & C circuit adults. Thanks!

Also looking for a place to live if you have any ideas there!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Welcome to Winston!

I board my leased horse at Peacock Acres in Pfafftown, which is just outside city limits on the NW side of town. It's convenient to WFU if that is where you are going to be in school. The care is excellent, and they get about 12 hours of turnout a day. Board is also EXTREMELY reasonable for the area. It's a fairly small group of people and is a very family friendly sort of place. We have lots of cook outs and barn parties and a "ladies night" (involving an evening ride and then dinner and drinks out) most Wednesdays.

Our BO (who is strictly an ammy) has Lynne Forgione come in to give lessons to her and anyone else who wants one, and we also have a great resident trainer, Kristi Watson, who is there more on a day-to-day basis. BO shows with the Towells, and Jack is coming to the farm on Saturday to do a clinic.

We go to Sedgefield, our local A and C show, almost every time it's available, and will travel to others like Pinehurst together.

We are an open barn, though. You can ride with any trainer in any discipline. It's. Fantastic. We have dressage trainers and eventing trainers who come in to work with us as well.

Property is 65 acres of pastures, trails, woods, fields and streams with a huge arena and jump course, and a few little cross country jumps and a bank.

Unfortunately, I don't think she has any availability right now, but if you are interested in getting on a waiting list I would give her a call. I'll PM you with her contact information.

As for living in the area, it will depend on where you will be going to school/work. Winston is quite a spread out city geographically, and none of the roads go in a straight line so getting around can be frustrating some times. (Drives this Dallas girl absolutely NUTS.)

The above barn sound great! I would also recommend calling Pat and Keith at Cloud's Harbor:
    http://www.cloudsharborfarm.com

Good luck!

Thanks for the recommendations. I know Pat and Keith well and rode with them many many moons ago. Unfortunately I am well out of their price range and I don't believe they do pasture board.

Peacock Acres sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! I will be at Bowman Gray Medical Center and Winston Salem State for nursing school. I went to Salem College for two years so I know the area but it's been a while and things change.

Thanks for the recommendations and keep them coming!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Default Another vote for Peacock

Great establishment and great owner!
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~Winston Churchill

No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

If you specifically want pasture board, the only place I know of in the area that offers it is TTC in Mocksville.

Needing a place to live too if anyone knows of a dog friendly house? Moving for nursing school. Clinicals will be at Baptist Medical.

Just saw this...I'm also a boarder at Peacock Acres. Have you found a home for your horse yet? I'm in a unique situation so message or email me if you are still looking for the right situation!

Hidden Meadows Farm with Scarlett Mullin is fabulous - excellent horse care, wonderful family lives on site, great facility. They're located in Winston-Salem, I am in Greensboro NC now a hop skip and jump away.
    www.equinekingdom.com