The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Legends Performance Pellets Vs Strategy

How do they compare? Is the Legends line better quality and ingredients than Strategy? What about taste wise? Also...how do they compare to TC Senior

Strategy GX or Strategy Healthy Edge?
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

I think they are both not worth feeding. TC Senior is far and away a superior feed, though it will depend on what your feeding needs are.

First of all, Strategy is made by Purina, who does not use a fixed formula in their feeds. Which means they buy whichever is the cheapest source of ingredients.The Legends Performance is made by Southern States, who also makes Triple Crown. They do use a fixed formula, so you're guaranteed a better level quality of ingredients.

Now to actually break down the differences:
    --Strategy GX (the original) has 14% protein, 6% fat and 12.5% fiber. For a pelleted feed, that is pretty low fiber, and moderate fat. It is what I call a "dry" pellet, with no molasses on it. I am unsure about starch content.
    --Legends Performance pellets has 12% protein, 10% fat and 18% fiber. The higher fat will help keep weight on a horse that needs a little extra help, and it is much higher in fiber. The higher fiber content will also help keep weight on, especially since we're going into winter and horses won't have access to pasture. This is what I call a "wet" pellet-- it has molasses on it. I am unsure of the starch content on this as well, but it's probably a bit higher than the Strategy because of the molasses. (but I may be wrong)

So it pretty much boils down to what you personally prefer and what your horse needs. Personally, I would not feed Purina unless I absolutely had no other choice. The Legends is a better quality feed all-around, despite being Southern States' middle-of-the-road line of feed (SS being entry level and Triple Crown being premium). Hope this helps!

Legends Performance made my TB much hotter and didn't keep weight on as well as lower sugar type feeds. I switched from 6qts LP to 3qts alfalfa pellets and 3 quarts Fibergized with 1/4 cup Cocosoya oil and he's much, much more laid back and keeping weight better.

TC senior is fantastic. Low in sugar, high in fat. I wouldn't hesitate to feed it.

Big difference between LP pellets and the textured version. The latter is quite high in NSC, the former relatively low.

Stupid question alert - what is NSC???

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    How do they compare? Is the Legends line better quality and ingredients than Strategy? What about taste wise? Also...how do they compare to TC Senior
    I think your best and most non- biased answer will be to get the info on what is in each product and try the one that looks best to you. If in a couple of months you don't like the results try the other product. For some reason this place is full of " feed snobs" who trash one feed manufacturer over another and many times have never fed the feed they are trashing. Not all horses get good results when fed a certain feed, you just might have to try a few to find what works for you. It doesn't mean one feed is superior to any other.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Big difference between LP pellets and the textured version. The latter is quite high in NSC, the former relatively low.
    This is very true. The textured feed has 28.5% NSC, the pellets 12.9%. I have fed the pellets, with decent success, to my EPSM horse. I now feed him Ultium a PURINA product. Oh the horror...

For the sake of comparison, Triple Crown senior has 11.7% NSC and Ultium 15%.
    Last edited by Chezzie; Oct. 16, 2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: additional information

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    Stupid question alert - what is NSC???
    NSC stands for nonstructural carbohydrates. A lot of people (me included) tend to lump all the different "types" of carbs in one category and call it starch, to simplify things a bit. Here's a really good article that helps explain it a bit better: http://www.southernstates.com/articl...nutrition.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    I think your best and most non- biased answer will be to get the info on what is in each product and try the one that looks best to you. If in a couple of months you don't like the results try the other product. For some reason this place is full of " feed snobs" who trash one feed manufacturer over another and many times have never fed the feed they are trashing. Not all horses get good results when fed a certain feed, you just might have to try a few to find what works for you. It doesn't mean one feed is superior to any other.
    It is a bona fide fact that Purina and Nutrena (to name 2 well-known feed manufacturers) do not use fixed formulas. Which means that they buy the cheapest ingredients they can, and will "tweak" the formula from batch to batch depending on what they have available in order to meet the nutrition levels the label says is in each bag. When a manufacturer utilizes a fixed formula, you can buy feed from 2 completely different lots (batches, whatever term you want to use) and the ingredients will be identical.

Years ago I did use Purina feed, until I began to read and educate myself more and wanted something better for my horses. Did my horses do well on Purina? Yes, they were healthy, in good weight, etc. But I personally don't like the idea of their feed being made from the lowest quality ingredients and never knowing what is going to be in each bag.

You're right candyappy, I have never fed the feeds I "trash" and there's a REASON for that. I won't feed 30% NSC feeds, I won't feed feeds that have "grain by-products" and "forage products", because I want to know exactly what's in the feed.

That doesn't mean some horses don't do well on those feeds. *I* and many others won't feed them when there are many alternatives that don't have the above issues and are just as likely to do well for a given horse.

Obviously if you go round and round with the "good" feeds and for whatever reason they aren't working, then you might start giving up some of the wishes you have for your feed and try a non-fixed formula.

"We" don't go trashing a feed for no reason

You're right candyappy, I have never fed the feeds I "trash" and there's a REASON for that. I won't feed 30% NSC feeds, I won't feed feeds that have "grain by-products" and "forage products", because I want to know exactly what's in the feed.

"We" don't go trashing a feed for no reason
    That is my point exactly. You are trashing a feed because it doesn't meet what your personal standards are and what you choose/ desire to feed your horse.

It does not make it an inferior feed in any way.

Actually, I have never trashed Purina feeds the way some people have. I have never called them junk or trash or garbage. I have said they are lower quality due to the reasons listed above, or sky high sugars, or something.

Some folks, like you, seem to have to take that as trashing a feed

I'm sure you have things you don't like for some reason or another and people don't think you're trashing it.

I think Yellowbritches point was valid. How do they compare for what purpose?

Currently, I am essentially just using feed to get the horses to the stable and mix their supplements. I do not mind using Nutrena for that purpose and it is easier to get it at TSC than to get Triple Crown. However, before my older one passed he was relying almost entirely on feed for his nutritional needs as his teeth were bad, couldn't eat enough hay, etc. For him I used TC Senior.

I think it was MeatyOgre, whose husband is a feed dealer and had an interesting post not too long ago about all the different kinds of feed she has used.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    That is my point exactly. You are trashing a feed because it doesn't meet what your personal standards are and what you choose/ desire to feed your horse.

It does not make it an inferior feed in any way.
    I don't take it as trashing, those are simply facts about the feeds. I wouldn't feed that either. There are products from those manufactures that I would use, but usually not the products most people talk about. I have used some of those products or been around horses that have for the most part not impressed with strategy, safe choice purina sr etc. My horse has looked great on a variety of feeds from low quality to high quality but i think he would look great on zebra cakes as long as he has enough good hay! Other horses not so much. I also don't feed my cat what I would consider cheap food for him either.

Somethings that don't meet peoples standards are inferior. Safety in cars, schools, etc. There are grains out there that I do think are inferior, then some that I think are just lower quality and then ones that I would prefer to use over others.

Actually, I have never trashed Purina feeds the way some people have. I have never called them junk or trash or garbage. I have said they are lower quality due to the reasons listed above, or sky high sugars, or something.

Some folks, like you, seem to have to take that as trashing a feed

I'm sure you have things you don't like for some reason or another and people don't think you're trashing it.
    I can only comment on things I have personally used on my horses, or eaten/ used myself, so I am not in the habit of calling something lower quality because of wording on a label.

I have used several Purina feeds in the past with excellent results. Strategy being one of them. I have to admit that the things you all want/ must have out of a feed ( fixed formulas, no forage or grain by products, no starches, no molasses, etc..) leave me dazed and confused and thankful my horses don't even need to be fed grain. Seems things have changed in the feed world and sometimes I wonder if it is an improvement or a curse for horse owners.

Quote Originally Posted by whbar158 View Post
    I have used some of those products or been around horses that have for the most part not impressed with strategy, safe choice purina sr etc. My horse has looked great on a variety of feeds from low quality to high quality but i think he would look great on zebra cakes as long as he has enough good hay! Other horses not so much. I also don't feed my cat what I would consider cheap food for him either.

There are grains out there that I do think are inferior, then some that I think are just lower quality and then ones that I would prefer to use over others.
    What makes a grain inferior and of lower quality to use? Which ones would that be and why???

That is why I encouraged the OP to try them for herself and decide. The results you get on a feed depend on so much more than just dumping it in the bucket. The way your horse is kept from day to day will influence the results of any grain or hay you feed. That is why I said people here trash( call inferior) Purina and other feeds without a valid reason to do so. If you didn't like the results it probably wasn't the fault of the feed alone or everyone who has ever used that feed would have the same bad results.