The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Turnout for BIG horse?

I have a horse that needs an 87 turnout blanket-but something that won't wipe out my bank account Any suggestions?

Honestly-- they're not cheap but they last forever. I don't do anything but Rambo/Rhino/Amigo for my big guy. The Amigo 1200D line (Bravo) is far more durable than the 600D lines (Mip and Hero).

I haven't found that Weatherbeetas fit him well, nor are they much cheaper than Rambo for (in my opinion) much less quality.

I tried the Dover brand (Rider's) and him but they were a titch small/tight. If your guy is tall but not wide you might do okay with them.

Have not tried Schenider's but I know they make a "big fella" line that some people like.

Eous makes BIG HUGE gigantic sizes, and I like their stuff, but it's hard to find.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Default Rambo

Rambo is really the way to go, it will last a long time. I bought my big guy at least one blanket a year til I spent the money for a Rambo (which is going into it's 4th winter soon).

I had a schneider's turnout sheet for him, but that rubbed his withers bad (he has a long high wither but I got the v-free). I had a weatherbeeta that looked like a mini skirt on him and didn't last. I tried a Masta and it fell apart...

If you look around you should be able to find a Rambo original for a good price, maybe equus now or smartpak?

Horze? Their blankets come in 87 and are pretty reasonable...
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Rambo has been my choice for the big guy (84 in Rambo). He also did well with a Pessoa, but don't know if they run big enough for your guy - his was an 84 sheet and that thing was tough! Since it was an obnoxious orange and red, it was on closeout for less than $100.

People seem to like the Smartpak blankets, so maybe check to see if any of those come big enough. Pretty reasonable price and a nice warranty on them. I haven't tried one yet, but thinking about it for my 84 guy.

I know Schneider's has their Big Fella (I think) blankets for the larger horse. Don't know anything about them as far as quality goes.

I love Schneiders blankets. They also have one that has a longer drop for bigger horses.

Go with Horze, but be sure you buy the most expensive model. I am a retailer for them for Europe, and I know their blankets as well as anyone can. There is a HUGE difference between the cheapest and the most expensive models. And even the most expensive ones are cheaper for what they are.

First of all I have an 87" brand new mw Rambo w/ leg arches. I need to get rid of it. No longer have horse. It is still in the bag. Let me know if interested! I just bought Eous blankets for new horse. Came from [URL="smartipony.com"]. Free shipping and great prices. I got the Phlegnon hw w/ hood and Banbridge sheet for $300. [URL="classicsaddlery.com"]. carries them and are great w/ fitting issues.

I also love my Rambo for my big girl. The heavy keeps her weeny thin-skinned self warm, and it holds up to her goofing off with the yearlings. I think we got all of hers on sale online, most of them from year's past versions/colors.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Love these. I bought the Madrid and it's beautiful.

http://www.equisupplies.com/