The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

For anybody worried about SwampYankee fleeing CotH; she's here.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

I find SY disgusting, frankly, and am glad I don't live in her neck of the woods. Just because I didn't speak up earlier doesn't mean I silently enjoyed her posts/topics. Quite the opposite.

Honestly, people like SY don't go away, they have too much fun staring at the mutilated bodies hanging out of the rail cars of their train wrecks. She will either back off and lurk to enjoy being the topic of discussion, or post a phony dramatic "goodbye" whilst having her alter identity already created. I would be surprised if she doesn't already have an alter that she uses to "argue" with herself or drive her threads. I doubt she can walk away like a grown up, professional person would do if they were truly attempting to save their dignity.

I don't care for most of the things Swamp Yankee has posted. I also don't care for threads like these belittling a certain member regardless of who they are or what they did. They are words typed out on a forum. I find most people change behind the computer screen and act in a way they don't in public. I don't care if this thread shows Swamp Yankee's true colors, we are not any better then SY if we continue this thread. It is like kids ganging up on the nerdy kid in school. Not very cool.

Default I see now

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaGT80 View Post
    Is 1,961 posts in 6mos correct?
    10 posts a day. How does one know the gender of the poster? (didn't want to start a thread for silly question). On topic, very interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    I don't care for most of the things Swamp Yankee has posted. I also don't care for threads like these belittling a certain member regardless of who they are or what they did. They are words typed out on a forum. I find most people change behind the computer screen and act in a way they don't in public. I don't care if this thread shows Swamp Yankee's true colors, we are not any better then SY if we continue this thread. It is like kids ganging up on the nerdy kid in school. Not very cool.
    As a teacher , I think this is about the kids who were milling about uncomfortably watching the nerdy kid get picked on by the bully finally deciding enough is enough and standing together in front of the nerdy kid to tell the bully ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

This is not about 1 impulsive, offensive post. There is a pattern of premediated, inflammatory posts.

alittlegray had it right about SY taking pleasure in the "mutilated bodies hanging out of the rails cars of <the> train wrecks" .

The part I can't get my head around is why she set up a profile making her so easily identifiable. I am really hoping & praying that Swamp Yankee's profile was a hoax and that she really is NOT the owner of said retirement boarding stable. In which case I hope that poor barn owner tracks down this fraud. Thinking that she actually is the owner of a retirement boarding barn where she is entrusted to care for beloved horses whose owners have no doubt made sacrifices to do the right thing for their old horses makes me physically ill. And, I suspect that she probably IS the owner given the changes in her profile once the $hit hit the fan here. Disturbing on sooooooo many levels.

I completely agree.

I dislike public displays of emotion and fuzzybunnyness. I'm weak at best when it comes to either actually having or expressing empathy. So would I be participating in a vigil or going out and giving the "moonbat" (hey, SY, Howie Carr called, he wants his catchphrase back) a hug or buying candles for the graveside vigil? No, probably not, except maybe the hug if cornered. But I wouldn't particularly think twice about it or be anxious to see her chased off the property. Is it hurting me? No. Therefore it's none of my business. Now, if she were dressed head to toe in Victorian widow's weeds and was making daily circuits of the barn tolling a bell and wailing like a bahn sidhe, I would probably have to say enough is enough, but who is it harming if she comes and sits by the horse's grave once in a while?

Yep, we're different behind the keyboard from when we're in the real world. (I'm nicer offline. Online is my therapy--if I didn't stop restraining myself somewhere I'd probably have a perforated ulcer by now.) But if you don't want people judging you in the 'real' world based on cyberworld, do a better job with your alias. And realize if everyone's interpreting what you write in one way, no matter what you INTENDED, the problem does not usually lie with them...

Really 13 pages , atleast 200 posts of "I disagree" and I hate the poster. Group think is alive and well on this BB.

Whew, I think I've found real life SY. I was beginning to doubt my googling skills.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Default Quoth the raven, Nevermore . . .

People, I've occasionally expressed an ill-advised, provocative or unpopular opinion on COTH, as people do every single day in print newspapers, TV, film scripts or political debates.

I have never said anything here that I would not say, have not said, or could not say in the company of my personal friends at a church supper. Nor have I defamed anyone personally (impossible, since we do not know each other) or posted anything that any law would define as hate speech. I just may have a little different take on life, death, and horses than you do. Everyone has the option to take it, leave it, hit the ignore button or read something else.

My few "offensive" posts, which long since scrolled off the board between 3 and 8 months ago, have been relentlessly necromanced here and trotted out again for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people who missed them then. Controversy which is nothing more than one stranger's opinion in a vast landfill of opinion. Every man has an opinion, and they're ultimately "worth" just about the same. In 50 years very few of us will be alive, so perhaps we should ALL spend our time more productively.

Approximately 3 of my almost 2,000 posts seem to have been terribly controversial; that's actually not a bad record for COTH. Have I hit some third rails? Obviously. Not being Internet-savvy, I was not aware that discussion of the range of opinions was a social taboo in this strange little online enclave. God help you, don't ever read The Daily Beast or Mother Jones!

13 pages of ad-hominem attacks over a minor anecdote a stranger wrote when feeling pissy, over an emotional kerfuffle affecting no one whom you actually even know? Really? Try following the "rules" of COTH civility you are so quick to burn me at the stake for breaking. You might want to read them since you have violated every single one.

There are a few people here who need to take a really hard look in the mirror before they start casting stones.

Don't worry about me coming back under "alters," I really have no further desire to return. I would just ask that if you are indeed all such sensitive, compassionate, understanding, mature and well-adjusted people, please cease to post personal attacks that are unworthy of you.

To any and all who have found my posts intolerable, I hope you will accept my sincere apologies.
    Last edited by SwampYankee; Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    Whew, I think I've found real life SY. I was beginning to doubt my googling skills.
    Careful. Has anyone else seen the movie, "Catfish"? I keep thinking about that movie - anybody else?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1xp4M...%3D1xp4M0IjzcQ

It's a thought provoker -- and a bargain at $2.99

http://www.amazon.com/Catfish/dp/B00...ywords=catfish

Really? Of all the things you could have chosen to say at this moment, including "I'm sorry," this is what you chose? And if you would have said everything you have said here in real life, then why delete posts and why choose now to conceal your identity? I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt and had hoped you would take some time to reflect on the damage you have caused to the feelings of real live people who are members of this forum. I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    People, I've occasionally expressed an ill-advised, provocative or unpopular opinion on COTH, as people do every single day in print newspapers, TV, film scripts or political debates.

I have never said anything here that I would not say, have not said, or could not say in the company of my personal friends at a church supper. Nor have I defamed anyone personally (impossible, since we do not know each other) or posted anything that any law would define as hate speech. I just may have a little different take on life, death, and horses than you do. Everyone has the option to take it, leave it, hit the ignore button or read something else.

My few "offensive" posts, which long since scrolled off the board between 3 and 8 months ago, have been relentlessly necromanced here and trotted out again for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people who missed them then. Controversy which is nothing more than one stranger's opinion in a vast landfill of opinion. Every man has an opinion, and they're ultimately "worth" just about the same. In 50 years very few of us will be alive, so perhaps we should ALL spend our time more productively.

Approximately 3 of my almost 2,000 posts seem to have been terribly controversial; that's actually not a bad record for COTH. Have I hit some third rails? Obviously. Not being Internet-savvy, I was not aware that discussion of the range of opinions was a social taboo in this strange little online enclave. God help you, don't ever read The Daily Beast or Mother Jones!

13 pages of ad-hominem attacks over a minor anecdote someone wrote when feeling pissy, over an emotional kerfuffle affecting no one you actually even know? Really? Try following the "rules" of COTH civility you are so quick to burn me at the stake for breaking. You might want to read them since you have violated every single one.

There are a few people here who need to take a really hard look in the mirror before they start casting stones.

Enjoy your life.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Really 13 pages , atleast 200 posts of "I disagree" and I hate the poster. Group think is alive and well on this BB.
    Yeah. Geez, you guys! Y'all have more than 9K of my posts to dig up and "necromance," too. And I also have said some stuff about life, death and politics that someone somewhere will hate. Y'all scare me.

So Swamp Yankee is right: Cut out the ad hominem attacks. It's a dangerous game you play.

But Swampy, you can't argue that you'd "say anything online that you'd also say to someone's face at a church dinner" and then complain that people here are dissing someone they don't know. You are either extremely consistent or you are not.

I don't care if people are utterly whack on issues I take seriously. I do care if people-- who agree with me or absolutely don't-- get mean.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Really? Of all the things you could have chosen to say st this moment, including "I'm sorry," this is what you chose? And if you would have said everything you have saud here in real life, then why delete posts and why choose now to conceal your identity? I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt and had hoped you would take some time to reflect on the damage you have caused to the feelings of real live people who are members of this forum. I guess not.
    FineAlready,

It is obvious to me that you are a heathen who does NOT attend church suppers. You might want to work on that.

ROFLMFAA

I have to agree with Swamp Yankee here. Exactly who does SY owe and apology to? SY was not directing this thread to anyone on here. SY was venting like most of us do on here. If anyone has experienced the rath of Coth then you would know why posts were deleted and information removed. This forum is terrible for people jumping at the chance to make someone look like an idiot. So SY said something that offended a LOT of people. Put on your big girl panties and deal with it, and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I do care if people-- who agree with me or absolutely don't-- get mean.
    Me too. Which is how this all started in the first place. SY's OP was incredibly mean. As have been a large number of her posts. I finally got tired of watching it, particularly since this latest was an attack on a grieving horse owner who just lost a longtime companion. Sorry, but calling someone in that situation a "moonbat" and her deceased horse an "ol' geezer" is way nasty and uncalled for. I won't say that I've never said anything I regret. I have. But SY doesn't seem to regret anything, or even care that she can and does hurt people with the things she says.

Tip -
    Do not ask to bury your horse on the property of someone who tosses around the word "necromancer".

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Me too. Which is how this all started in the first place. SY's OP was incredibly mean. As have been a large number of her posts. I finally got tired of watching it, particularly since this latest was an attack on a grieving horse owner who just lost a longtime companion. Sorry, but calling someone in that situation a "moonbat" and her deceased horse an "ol' geezer" is way nasty and uncalled for. I won't say that I've never said anything I regret. I have. But SY doesn't seem to regret anything, or even care that she can and does hurt people with the things she says.
    Do you really think it is nasty and uncalled for to call an old horse a geezer? Seriously? Why?

This forum is terrible for people jumping at the chance to make someone look like an idiot. So SY said something that offended a LOT of people. Put on your big girl panties and deal with it, and move on.
    ...and swamp yankee IS one of those people who is "jumping at the chance to make someone look like an idiot". That is exactly what she has done to this lady, by mocking her grief.

Do you excuse sy's behaviour because you think she is one of many? or do you think that the people here, who object to the hostility sy has towards others, are "jumping at the chance to make someone look like an idiot"?

If you believe the latter, then honestly, don't you think that sy has already done a spectacular job of "looking like an idiot" with no outside help whatsoever?

Some people need no help to achieve idiocy.

That said, the internet is new to many of us, however I would think that people would be more careful about what they write, not less.

I feel badly for sy. Internet BB's are not church suppers with your friends, much as you might like them to be, they just aren't.

You really have to own what you "say" here, and buck up and admit when you've "said" something stupid, just as you (hopefully) would in your everyday life.
    Last edited by skydy; Oct. 18, 2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: To Add..

You really like to toss around the phrase 'ad hominem', while engaging in the exact same behavior to other people. Hypocrisy much?

Figured you'd be back with a 'goodbye cruel BB post', because it's all about YOU. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Swampy.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.