The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Does your farmette have a name?

And if it does, how did you come up with it?

Just curious as my little farmette will be up soon and I don't know what the protocol is. Is it unusual to name a structure in your yard that only has your horses?

Share names and stories! Thanks!
    Last edited by fatappy; Oct. 15, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Mine does, since I breed warmbloods. Many small farmettes around here have names.

Mine does, just because it seemed like it should.

I asked advice on how to name from this board, knowing we wanted to in some way honor my mom's parents, who left the money to buy/build it.

Their money came from selling land in Mountainside, NJ, which was purchased in the early 1900s for the most part and at the time my mom was living in a neighborhood called Mountainside Village. We have views of every mountain range in town. So Mountainside Farm became the obvious name.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Mirkwood.

When my then boyfriend (now husband) bought the farm, it was infested with brown recluse spiders. He's terrified of spiders, so I thought he'd back out, but he bought it (he basically bought it for me )

We both love Lord of the Rings, so Mirkwood was perfect.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

I have a name and the farmette doesn't even exist yet!

"Forever Free Farm" - Have had that name in my head since I was 12. To me horses were freedom.

Someday it WILL truly exist.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Now-or-Never Ranch.

Because I knew if I didn't do it six years ago I would talk myself out of it.

So glad I took the leap of faith and moved.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Yup, Windward Farm. We live at the west end of the Columbia River Gorge--home of incredible winds (think 75mph gusts, steady winds of 30mph for weeks at a time...sigh....). We live down the road from Windy Ridge Farm. Seemed like a logical choice. I am not an LLC, but if we can buy the acreage next door, we'll do so, to sell beef cattle (and get a agricultural deferral on our taxes).
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Crackerdog Farm

We went through around 11 names before settling on this one. I have an ACD who is just bonkers at times and on top of her natural high energy she has seizures. Being a fan of James Herriot (where I first read the term) and having a horse who is scared of butterflies, a goose who isn't supposed to be able to fly and yet flies into the duck yard, a group of ducks that are always on the go, and just general daily insanity, it seemed fitting.
    Just wait until I get a couple of pigs and goats. The we will really be living up to our farm name.

It had a name before I bought it.

SLS Farm ( short for Siouxland Sporthorses, or, like I tell Steve, Steve and Laura's Farm).

Of course he really wants to name it Five Horizons Farm, because he loves Pearl Jam.

I have not put up a sign or anything. I haven't done any landscaping, or work on the outside yet (heck we haven't even moved in to the house yet) so I'm not really ready to draw any attention... It's a wee bit shabby currently--falling down barn, falling down grain bins, falling down barb-wire fencing...you get the idea.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Everyone has named their places here since they first settled these parts.
    Many use their brand name.
    Yes, brands have a name, after the symbols there.
    Some are named after the original settler or some geographical feature, like the Bell Ranch, named for an outcropping bute in the middle of a large valley, that looks like a bell.

The Pitchfork ranch is named after their brand, as is the 6666, the Four Sixes, or the JA ranch, or the LX ranch.
    The King ranch was named after Mr King, etc.

Do pick your name carefully, because you never know how many years down the century it may be used and if it will still be then descriptive in a good way.
    Why? Well, then there is the Dragging A's ranch.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Yup - just me, horse & pony on 5ac and we are "branded" 2 Dogs Farm

I was going to name the place:
    "Bought The", when a friend suggested 2 Dogs after a favorite (bad) joke DH used to tell.

So: 2 dogs it is, and I have already had that embroidered on 2 shirts.
    One can say I have no shame, or a great sense of Self
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Yup, Watermark Farm.

So named because when we were in escrow on it, my husband and I crawled under the house to take a look. The farm is in a flat area and tends to have ponding water in winter, and this was a big concern to us. As we lay underneath the house (mind you I was 8 months pregnant at the time), my husband pointed to the water line that was about 12" up from the ground. He smiled wanly and said "Well, that's the water mark, and they say a water mark is a sign of authenticity!"

Several sump pumps and a lot of drainage work later, the farm we jokingly referred to as "the watermark place" officially became Watermark Farm. And our son was born at the farm just weeks later, making our dream of a farm and family authentic.

Yep. Lots of pine trees on my place, and have a lake, so Pine Lake Farm. I was trying to come up with a name, then it dawned on me.

Ours is on a big bend on the Saco River. The farm was first established and named River Bend Farm in 1797. Far be it from me to change its name!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I haven't named my place, but I've jokingly referred to it as "Mirkwood" - for the same reason as Bacchus - lots of spiders (including a couple of black widows) and "Estrogen Acres" - since I've ended up surrounded with female animals (even though I've historically been a gelding or boy-dog person).

I have a couple of football related names that I like, but I haven't decided on one yet.

Mine does! We took over my parent's farmette last year after they retired and I though we needed to put our stamp on the place. I named it after my rescue OTTB who passed away at the farm about 10 years ago. I even painted us a sign

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...90425841_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Mine does! We took over my parent's farmette last year after they retired and I though we needed to put our stamp on the place. I named it after my rescue OTTB who passed away at the farm about 10 years ago. I even painted us a sign

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...90425841_n.jpg
    That is such a nice name and a very pretty sign too.

Interestingly, I had the name, Hylabrook Farm, quite some time before the farmette, for my (very small) business. Ironically, if you're familiar with Robert Frost's poem, Hyla Brook, our farmette has a season creek at the back of it that dries up right around the month of June. We don't have a sign, but then, there is really no need for one!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Did mine last year, with the help of COTH. We settled on Witherun Farm. I wanted something with "run" in it because of our love for TB's. Our neighborhood is called Wetherburn, so I finally settled on Witherun.

The logo on my blog is the sign that's on my barn. Designed the sign with Danthonia, and they do a great job.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

My little 5 acre farm has a name. I bought it so I had a place to eventually bury a horse. The horse's name was Martin's Dream. His nickname was Bones (because he was literally a bag of bones when I bought him-think 17 hands and 700 lbs) Bone's Acres sounded like a cemetery and no way was I going to name the farm Martin's Dream Farm but I did decide to call it Martinsfield. After all it was in the field (back pasture actually) where he was eventually buried.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!