The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oahu, Hawaii until we return to the Appling, Ga farm.

Default Transformation of a Giant garage into a barn: With link for pics

So, I posted about this here before, when I was looking to transform my giant garage into a barn. Well, here is a link of the progress we made...in the last year and a half

We bought this house, a beautiful modern home near fort gordon ,ga, with 35 acres, just not set up for horses. In the almost two years I have lived here, we have cleared 4 acres, built paddocks, built a dressage arena and completely transformed the simple pole barn garage full of crappy built in shelves into a fantastic barn.

I want to give back to everyone what you have all given to me...so if you need advice, ask away, because I sure absorbed a lot from you all. I hope this inspires fellow DIY'ers...because at my house, it has been dressage on a budget.

We bought the stalls from some old dude in aiken, who ordered them in the 90's, never installed them. Loddon stalls! We never put the divider in one and now have a giant 220x12 stall for my 18h warmblood. INstalled right over concrete, and put down quality rubber mats and deep shavings for bedding ( i use tractor supplies, since I like the fluffiness and lack of dust).

The tack room was framed with FREE pallets. YES FREE. We only bought the plywood and oustide picket fence wood and made it into siding. Stained the inside with a dark stain. I bought most of the brass fixtures from a friend who had to close her barn....and nearly all the furniture in my tackroom is repurposed.

I will post pictures of my dressage arena tomorrow....

HERE IS A NEW LINK: WITH MORE PICS:

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/th...NAME=snapfish/

AND ANOTHER

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/th...NAME=snapfish/
    Last edited by Briggsie; Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: NEW LINK
    "Lose your temper, lose your horse" -someone wise enough to know better than to pick a fight with a 1200 lb animal that could launch you to the moon.

....all while raising a newborn who is now a toddler, btw...so for all you moms who think you cannot do it....DO IT
    "Lose your temper, lose your horse" -someone wise enough to know better than to pick a fight with a 1200 lb animal that could launch you to the moon.

WOW!!!! Great job!!!!!

Adore your tack room -- so cute!!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Link doesn't work for me, maybe because I am not signed on FB?

Sure would be interesting to see what you have there.

We (our neighbors and I) may be building ours next year, if the economy doesn't implode first and any new ideas are always welcome.

I think that may remedy the issue? I know my husband made the album public, so you should be able to see it no problem so long as you are logged in

There are others that are also not seeing any need to sign up on FB or any of those social web sites.

There is a setting on FB you can use to open that album or specific pictures to all, but right now, it is still closed.

You're doing a wonderful job with that transformation!

Oh, please make the pictures so I can see them! We're also converting a giant garage into a barn, and I would love to see your pics!

Briggsie, that came out fantastic!!!! Awesome job! Everything looks so nice.

And you have the bonus of the toddler and a cool looking spotty goataloosa!

Congrats! Can't wait to see the rest of the place!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

WOW!!! What a fantastic job!!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Shoot, I wish facebook wasn't blocked at work! I'd really love to see these, as I have aspirations to do something similar in the future Good for you for making it happen!

Very Kooool job and it gives lots of us inspiration for future jobs. thanks for sharing!!

wow, those stalls are gorgeous!
    this gives me such hope, as the property i lust after has one structure only. a bigfat metal roofed pole barn,just like yours.
    now i can totally visualize it all set up and it's wonderful to see.
    thanks so much for posting!

I logged into Facebook and it worked. It all looks so nice!

Still not open to the general public.
    Sad, it sounds like there are great ideas in that remodel.

Wow, that looks great! The stalls are gorgeous. I like those two fire extinguishers on the outside of the tack room.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

We have a nice building like that but unfortunately I could only convert to equine use over the strenous objections of the DH. Nice to see it and get some ideas though. How tall are the bottoms of the interior rafters?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Very nice!! Stalls look amazing too! Can I ask a ballpark figure for getting to this point? Lots of empty pole barns and cow barns and giant garages up here, not so many horse barns. DH and I are probably going to be going this route, after we sell current house.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Can't get the link to open but would love to see the pictures!

hey everyone! sorry for checking in so stinking late....I did not realize this thread survived...or that there was interest. So, for those of you who cannot open, I will upload those pics plus more into webshots....or something else I know for certain as being public...stay tuned....

as far as the figures, I can break down the costs....just let me check back tonight...I am at work right now and SHOULD NOT be on here. Check back later......

I can post a vid of riding in the arena and stuff, so you can see how functional a DIY arena can be