The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanketing/Cold Weather for Dummies?

Honestly this is the first year I've ever had to worry about blanketing. Both previous horses came with blankets (leases), and the first horse I had (and still have), lives out side, grows a coat like a wooly mammoth, and only has a lightweight turnout for when it gets really cold. To cool him off after work I'd basically just walk out for 15 minutes and then rinse off legs to get the sand off, then when his legs were dry, I'd turn him out. I live in West TN, and really cold here is 30 at the least. The coldest I have ever lived to see is 25 once when it snowed in February. It just doesn't get that cold.

Said horse will probably be body clipped, but I'm not entirely sure. It just depends on what the Barn Manager lets me know that we've decided to do for the winter. I'd guess clipped though because we have about 4 or 5 shows to do this winter. He lives inside and gets about 4 hours of morning turnout, never night turnout. So please let me know what I need I guess, how to go about cooling down well in this kind of weather, what blankets when? I'm really just clueless. It's not so much what I need to put on when, because one of the grooms will do that for me before turn out, but when I'm done with a lesson or hack I need to know how to cool out without shocking their system with cold, and what sort of blanket to put on when. Haha, this is a legitimate plea for helppppp. Treat me like a kindergartener, and just assist me here.

The idea behind clipping is to keep them from sweating so much while in work so that they are easier to cool out; if it's chilly and they're hot or sweating anyway, I'd throw a cooler on them while walking around to cool out so they're not losing too much heat too fast and becoming chilled.

As far as what blankets to put on, that depends at least in part on how much you clip; if you're just doing a strip clip then you probably don't need to worry about blanketing, but if you're doing a full body clip, your horse will likely need a sheet whenever it gets under 50- I had a trainer once tell me that if you were chilly, your horse needed a sheet too when they were fully body clipped.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolte View Post
    The idea behind clipping is to keep them from sweating so much while in work so that they are easier to cool out; if it's chilly and they're hot or sweating anyway, I'd throw a cooler on them while walking around to cool out so they're not losing too much heat too fast and becoming chilled.

As far as what blankets to put on, that depends at least in part on how much you clip; if you're just doing a strip clip then you probably don't need to worry about blanketing, but if you're doing a full body clip, your horse will likely need a sheet whenever it gets under 50- I had a trainer once tell me that if you were chilly, your horse needed a sheet too when they were fully body clipped.
    Yep horse will be fully body clipped for the purpose of a neat look when showing, if this helps him cool out faster then great! He already seems to cool out really fast and doesn't work up a sweat unless we're jumping a lot or when my trainer rides him (he's actually in fantastic shape, better than I am at least).

For full body clip I use the below:

After work out: cooler and walking
    When temps in 50-60 degree range sheet
    When temps 30-50 winter blanket and head/neck sleazy
    When temps below 30 I'll put the winter blanket over the sheet with the sleazy only if they will be inside.

I'd start with all turn out styles and then if you want to have a seperate set get some stable varieties too.
    Last edited by jjgg24; Oct. 15, 2012 at 09:48 AM.

SmartPak recently sent out this guide:
    - Light Turnout Blanket (0 - 100g fill)
    40-50 degrees F (clipped horse)
    30-40 degrees F (unclipped horse)

- Medium Turnout Blanket (150-250g fill)
    30-40 degrees F (clipped horse)
    20-30 degrees F (unclipped horse)

- Heavy Turnout Blanket (200-400g fill)
    20-30 degrees F (clipped horse)
    10-20 degrees F (unclipped horse)

Stable sheets - (no fill); used for cool days or nights
    Stable blankets - (100-300g fill); used for COLD temps

Stable sheets & blankets are not waterproof, so they are best used only inside.

Coolers and fleeces -
    Wool - locks in body heat very well and is very absorbent but not particularly fast-drying. Should not be left on a wet horse for long in chilly weather.

Cotton - highly absorbent and good for use in mild temps, but soaks up a lot of moisture so is not best in cold temps.

Fleece - good insulation, lightweight and breathable, doesn't absorb moisture, has great wicking ability. Excellent choice for use in cold temps.

Technical - very good wicking ability but does not provide warmth, so best used when temps are mild.

Anti-sweat sheet (mesh sheet) - open weave facilitates airflow while providing a touch of warmth. Good after baths in mild temps, but does not have good insulating properties for use in cold temps.