The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Regumate side effects

I started my mare on Regumate not quite 2 weeks ago because she has having pain problems during Ovulation. Crampiness, back and hip soreness. No major attitude problem, except an "I hurt, do we HAVE to" and of course some temporary tenseness due to said crampiness. She just started work last year after many years as a pasture puff (mare is 12 now). So to keep from having to do accupuncture every 2 weeks durng the transition period we decided to try this. Mare is out of heat, feels wonderful except one thing. She's gotten silly. Silly and spooky as in OMG, I walk this way everyday but I swear that leaf moved so I have to jump and sprawl all 4 legs out and stare at that leaf/squirrel/imaginary monster. Once we start working, she focuses, but we never had this daily spookiness. Anyone have this as a side effect of Regumate? This is my first time using it. Thanks!!

No. I did not have any behavioral changes like you describe.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

If your vet thinks there are problems during ovulation, the vet may have wanted to try the Regumate to see if it helped. If it isn't helping her, tell your vet, the next step may be to do other tests like scanning her ovaries for cysts.

I've had my mare on it for several months now, and haven't had spooking issues. We put her on it for the same reasons it sounds like you are using it. If anything, it actually took some spook out of her (not that she was super spooky to begin with).

EDT: My vet told us we'd see a change in 7-10 days, but it took about a month before we really saw results. In fact, during the first two weeks, I was convinced the stuff was a huge waste of money. Maybe your girl just needs a little more time?

wonder if you started the regumate at the wrong time in her cycle... did you start five, or so, days after a heat cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    If your vet thinks there are problems during ovulation, the vet may have wanted to try the Regumate to see if it helped. If it isn't helping her, tell your vet, the next step may be to do other tests like scanning her ovaries for cysts.
    Mares do not suffer from ovarian cysts.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Mares do not suffer from ovarian cysts.
    But they do have reproductive disorders that a non vet might mistakenly refer to as an ovarian cyst.

Furthermore, I feel that because you are a teacher and a vet, that you should endeavor to educate with complete correct answers.

I had a mare on it and she didn't get spooky, she got MEAN and studdy. Went from being a pocket pony to viciously biting or kicking anyone, human or horse, who came near her.

Needless to say, we found a different solution. MGA pellets worked great for her.

But they do have reproductive disorders that a non vet might mistakenly refer to as an ovarian cyst.

Furthermore, I feel that because you are a teacher and a vet, that you should endeavor to educate with complete correct answers.
    I did.
    I correctly stated that mares do not develop ovarian cysts.

But, since you want complete answers, there was a single case of polycystic ovaries (bilatreral) in one mare that was reported, and it was of such rarity that it was sent to two veterinary pathologists for confirmation that it was indeed cysts.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    I did.
    I correctly stated that mares do not develop ovarian cysts.

But, since you want complete answers, there was a single case of polycystic ovaries (bilatreral) in one mare that was reported, and it was of such rarity that it was sent to two veterinary pathologists for confirmation that it was indeed cysts.

I started her on it 7 days after the day she seemed to/should be ovulating. What does that affect? (I've always had geldings so I don't know much about mares reproductive specifics) Today is 15 days from her first dose, so maybe I will give it a month to see if she evens out. Thanks guys!

Mine has been on it for about a month. She was spooky before.
    Now she's dead! (not literally). She scooted once under saddle, but is like a gelding now.
    Perhaps your horse is just feeling good after being in work and not crampy.
    My BO seems to think my mare is depressed. She's not. She's just not kicking, squirting, grunting, screaming or flighty anymore.

Never heard of any side effects.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

I tale 200 mg. of Prometrium (Progestarone) every night and it totally knocks me out, and makes me feel loopy. Makes me wonder of Regumate doest do the same in mares.....

I've used it in the past with 2 separate mares...it made both of them quiet and a little bit dull!

style Guest

Default Cranky mare

I have a almost 4 yr old mare I have had her since a baby and was a lovely girl but has turned sour ears back on the ground or legs on sour to lead in the paddock I gave her 3 months off she is still the same as soon as I start to do work with her she is the same now she has started grinding her teeth I never notice her squirting just sour trys to kick you on the ground very touchy when you brush her and girthing can be spooky to thats been of late shying at silly things I am considering regumate but not sure if that is what wrong with her she doesnt seem to be in season just cranky all the time or is that in season all the time any help appriated thanks

Don't know much about mares as have always had geldings but can anyone tell me about Regumate please, How often should it be given to a hormonal mare ? is it only give during the months when the mare is in season or is it given all year round through the winter, what kind of results would I expect to see by giving this as the mare is very stressed she kicks out, hates being groomed and having the girth done up she tries to bite and it generally in a bad mood.
    It was mentioned that she may have a cyst on her ovaries by the vet but on reading your post I see that it is said that mares do NOT get these so what other things may cause her to behave this way. She is really hard work and its not a pleasure to have her at the moment, all the problems seem to be from the ground as once she it tacked up and being worked/ridden she is a different horse.

I have a 3 year old on Regumate. I put her on it because she would buck me off every 21 days. When she wasn't bucking me off, she was a perfect angel. I think she had back soreness. After going on Regumate, she never bucked again. Another big difference in her is that she is now really lazy and laid back. So, my filly has had the opposite effect.

While it seems counter-intuitive, I think Regumate made my mare spookier. She's a timid horse, and I think it made her more timid. I'm much happier using Depo-Provera.

You didn't put her on MSM or a product with MSM in it recently did you? I put my gelding on MSM and he steadily got spookier and spookier. Posted on COTH to see if that was common and sure enough it is. I don't know a think about Regumate, except that my BO has to give her mare Banamine with it as she gets serious swelling on her neck and she can't ride her for 2-3 days because her neck is in pain. The Banamine helps.
    Hope you work the issue with your mare out. I was about to sell/place my gelding due to him getting so spooky. I took him off of the MSM a week ago and voila- normal horse~!

Soy. Does your horse eat soy?

I can not have my mare on soy at all ever. Not even treats.

Do a search on this forum of soy.

Just saying.

I removed my mare off soy. Much much better horse.