The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I agree 150%.

Thanks for all the great feedback and support. Fury is reportedly eating well now that his TC Senior, etc is soupy. I am going to try and make a quick up and back trip to see them both in a couple of weeks, just so I can see how Fury REALLY looks and how much I should be worrying about this.
    You can also try zapping him with a Panacur Powerpac or even Equimax; I've used these to great effect for Senior Turnarounds over the years. Fly season ending may help him as well. I have long thought that summer is harder on horses than winter in terms of pure calorie expenditure and stress. You're lucky you have someone to feed him properly!

Best of luck,

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    You can also try zapping him with a Panacur Powerpac or even Equimax; I've used these to great effect for Senior Turnarounds over the years. Fly season ending may help him as well. I have long thought that summer is harder on horses than winter in terms of pure calorie expenditure and stress. You're lucky you have someone to feed him properly!

Best of luck,
    There's a lot of long distance hand holding from me to keep him fed properly! But everyone is willing to take my cues, so that's good. Thank god their dinky little town has TC! I knew we were in trouble when I got Neigh up there and he turned his nose up to the senior feed Fury WAS getting. Neigh eats anything, except THAT. It has done wonders for Fury.

There are tons of things you can do for the old guys. My 28 year old is on previcox, pergolide and gets alfalfa cubes and hay stretcher pellets soaked. He is also on a joint supplement and occasional adequan. He is awesome!! Still gets ridden a bit--mainly so he can go down and play in the creek. Harry loves that.

If you need a companion at some point, the Middleburg Humane Foundation will have plenty to choose from.

As much as I love fall, it is the time we look at our senior citizens and wonder if we should try another winter.

Our baby sitter is pushing 30, a grey with melanomas from one end to the other. I have always said I would wait for him to tell me when he had had enough, He still loves his food and all systems seem so to be working fine but I have noticed a gradual change in his routine so maybe we are in our final fall.

He is the glue that holds our gang together - the steady Eddie who will go where ever we need him, so when his time will come, his best friend and the horse he sits with will go out with him so they can say good bye. I agree it is the least we can do for the ones left behind.

Right now it looks like Thanksgiving weekend will be his time - DD will be away and I have enough hands to make this work but hoping the calendar will slow to a crawl because I am not ready to let him go yet.

I went and spent some time with the old boys yesterday. My guy looks and feels great, as I knew he would. I still feel like he would be more than happy to have a job if given half a chance. His pal was in fabulous spirits. Very bright and cheery and sweet, which I was relieved to see. He IS very skinny, but has a great appetite and is being fed great gobs of TC Senior, alfalfa cubes and rice bran. I took up some more blankets for him, and gave my mom an aggressive blanketing strategy to keep him warm.

Nice thing about the blankets is that it keeps the nosy, clueless neighbors from seeing just how skinny he is. I was questioned fairly aggressively last year about him and his feeding. What they couldn't see were the MOUNTAINS of hay in the barn that the boys were fed, nor the buckets of feed and alfalfa, etc.

Anyway, I was afraid I was going to find a guy ready to go, but despite his appearance, he is still very, very much alive and eager to stay that way. I'll see him again at Christmas. Hopefully, all that good food will catch up with him a bit.

The old boy asked to go today.

On Thursday, my mom found him down in the field, and caught in his blanket. No idea how long he'd been down, but she unhooked him and, when she realized he wasn't going to get up, she called my uncle (and me). I talked her through some ideas to help him, and when my uncle and a friend got there, I suggested propping him up with some bales of hay. The vet was called, and after getting some fluids and warming him up, he got up, and got to his stall, where he ate and got snuggled up with more blankets.

He was kept in since they had snow and high winds come in up there.

Today, my mom went out to check on the boys, and found him down in his stall. At first, he seemed like he wanted to get up, but he quickly tired and said he was ready.

Do wished he had waited at least 24 hours before deciding to go, as I'm heading up there tomorrow. I'll miss the good old soul.

I will make arrangements to get my guy down here. I don't want the farm to I manage to be without the truck and trailer for the 5 days I plan on being gone, so he'll have to hang tight until I can get back up next week. Please keep him in your thoughts.

Sorry your oldie is gone. ((HUGS))

I am truly sorry for your loss.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Fury, the black stallion of my childhood, watched every Saturday morning on TV, along with Roy Rogers and My Friend Flicka.

How cool to have had your "Fury" for such a long time. I am sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with Neigh, you and your family.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Hugs to you and your human and critter family.

Second Auburn's post as Fury, Flicka and others are treasured memories of mine as well. Kudos to you and your family for such wonderful critter care.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I'm so very sorry. Godspeed Fury.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Hugs...

More hugs from another Saturday morning Fury fan.

I am so sorry for your loss - Godspeed Fury.

Glad you got to see him one last time while he still had his spark - its nice to remember them that way.

Our guy is still with us - we say goodnight each evening and I always hold my breath a bit until I see his fuzzy white ears over the door in the morning. The vet checked his heart, lungs and gut sounds and was impressed that they sounded as good as they did but when she checked his eyes she found there isn't much sight left.

So we go day to day.

I am so sorry for your loss, hugs!! I hope your old boy takes the passing OK, he is in my thoughts.
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for the hunters, dressage, in-hand, and more!

So sorry for your loss, words are not adequate at times like this...