The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another deworming question

Sorry, but search didn't turn up what I was looking for.

Just got my new horse about 10 days ago, came from VA to me in MA. First thing I notice, is he is covered with bot eggs. I haven't seen bot eggs on a horse since I was a kid (that was a long time ago). Ok, scrape eggs off and give Equimax, figuring I'll catch tapes at the same time. The same day I gave him the Equimax, I notice small red worms, alive, in his manure. Pretty sure they are small stongyles and now looking at him, he does have that kind of bloated worm belly shape.

So here is the question, when should I do a FEC, and do I have to wait the full 8 weeks to treat with Quest for encysted stongyles?

Do a FEC 10-14 days after and see if you find any ascarids. Given his obvious infestation, I'd want to know how his immune system is with those creatures. You shouldn't find any note-worthy strongyles, but if you do, ack!

If you don't want to do that (which is fine), then you should wait 12 weeks (always wait 4 weeks past the "expiration" date of the chemical, which is 8 weeks for ivermectin) to see if he should be dewormed again. If so, that puts you into the timeframe of a Spring deworming anyway, and that's the perfect time to use Quest Plus

Thanks, JB. I will do the FEC within a couple weeks.

Feeling kind of creeped out by the whole thing, just want all those parasites dead! My boy seems to be feeling ok, but I bet he will feel a whole lot better without all those hitchhikers!

Default Pics?

Do you have pics or can you describe worms ? They may be bots,since he is covered in eggs. It doesn't change the response, but you may not have a big strongyles problem.

Pkn

Sorry, pheasant knoll, I do not have any pics, but from what I have found online they appear to be stongyles not bots. The worms are around 1/2 inch long, very thin and very red. *gross*!

Yep, sounds like small strongyles.

Don't wait any longer than 14 days, and no sooner than 10

1 members found this post helpful.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

What does your vet reccommend? I think a professional opinion on something as badly infested as your guy sounds might be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by littlecreek View Post
    What does your vet reccommend? I think a professional opinion on something as badly infested as your guy sounds might be in order.
    True enough, but vet's office is closed until after Christmas, so thought I would start with "COTH knowledge". Fear not, I will be speaking with my vet after the holiday.

Default Yes, sounds like strongyles

Sorry to hear this. At least the equimax will also deal with the strongyles. Lucky guy to have a new home!

PKN