The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Default Just for Fun - Confo Critique :)

I was grazing my horse the other day and snapped this shot with my iPhone after she saw something in the distance and stood perfectly still. I already know what she can do and she is good at her job, but I just want to see what her conformation says about her.

I know it's not an entirely ideal confo shot as she's on a slight slope and her feet are in the long grass, but judge what you can.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.judgemyride.net/wp-conten...09/photo21.jpg

Everything about her screams hunter to me. Long enough build and shoulder to likely have long strides, but not built to likely have much in the way of knee action. I love her hip and the smoothness along her topline - looks to me like you're doing great things for her, as she has the type of build which if not using herself well for her shape (length of back/coupling) can be fairly rough looking on the topline. Pretty girl!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

The good parts:

She has a gorgeous head and a lovely eye and expression.

Love her shoulder length and angle.

She has nice angles in her legs and her hind legs, especially, have great bone.

Front to back she is in proportion, with her parts being roughly divisible into 3 equal parts.

The bad parts:

She is very butt high. Which means she is built very downhill. If she is successful in her chosen career, chances are you and she have overcome that. But as a rule, downhill horses are very hard to balance and collect. -- Of course there are always exceptions to this generality and your mare may be one.

She is also out of balance in the size of her parts. She has one BIG butt! Damn -- she probably can generate a lot of power from that hiney. The problem with her butt is that it does not match the rest of her, which is very feminine and TB'y. Looks like her mommy was a TB and her daddy was a WB and they joined in the middle.

But, as the famous race horse trainer said: I like a horse to have the head of an angel, the neck of a swan and the hind end of a washer woman. D Wayne Lucas would love your mare.

She is also in good weight and obviously beautifully cared for. I can see why she is so special to you.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Thanks guys!

She definitely is a hunter and she really has next to no knee action in her gaits. She does have a giant butt - her mother was a very fine boned little mare (she was a WB but looks every bit TB) and her dad is of Furioso lineage. It also is hard to keep her topline up - she is very long and likes to go with her nose poked out - we spend lots of time working on lateral movement and bending through her whole body and not just going like a long strung out couch. Haha.

Thanks for the critiques thus far. She's 12 this year and I've had her since she was 3 coming 4, and I've never really had anyone evaluate her conformation so I thought I'd capitalize on this photo op!

ETA: I think the butt-highness in the picture might be due to the slope of the ground - she does have a large butt, but in real life looks less butt-high.

Thanks again!

Is it just me or does this photo look photoshopped? I have no idea why the OP would photoshop the horse onto a different background, but the outline of the horse's belly looks oddly pixelated and there is no shadow. It just looks strange if you look at it long enough, like there is no depth to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyone View Post
    Is it just me or does this photo look photoshopped? I have no idea why the OP would photoshop the horse onto a different background, but the outline of the horse's belly looks oddly pixelated and there is no shadow. It just looks strange if you look at it long enough, like there is no depth to it.
    Lol I promise it's not photoshopped...it's on the hill by the temporary stabling at Thunderbird Show Park. If I was going to photoshop a nicer background on, I wouldn't have picked that! I did turn up the contrast as it was a bit dark and you couldn't see her lower legs well, but that's the only photo-editing I did.

Here's a picture from just moments after with the same background. You can see the same scar on her side as in the original picture from an old injury.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...43192306_n.jpg

Maybe it's just the iphone photo then! Lovely mare, I just kept staring at the picture and the outline of the mare against the background and it just looked off in some way!

Quote Originally Posted by ponyone View Post
    Maybe it's just the iphone photo then! Lovely mare, I just kept staring at the picture and the outline of the mare against the background and it just looked off in some way!
    I see what you mean after staring at it for quite some time now. The edges of the picture are a bit "harsh". Even in the second picture that I just posted the part where her mane is contrasted against the sky looks weird if you stare for long enough. Might just be because it's blown up from an iphone picture.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    Lol I promise it's not photoshopped...it's on the hill by the temporary stabling at Thunderbird Show Park. If I was going to photoshop a nicer background on, I wouldn't have picked that! I did turn up the contrast as it was a bit dark and you couldn't see her lower legs well, but that's the only photo-editing I did.

Here's a picture from just moments after with the same background. You can see the same scar on her side as in the original picture from an old injury.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...43192306_n.jpg
    Ha! I didn't see all of this post. It's definitely because you adjusted the contrast Lovely mare with a lovely shoulder and neck and a nice angle in her hip. Her withers are set nicely behind her elbow. She looks very athletic and well cared for. OP what division do you show her in?

She's lovely,my type for sure.Loving that front end!!What happened that she acquired the scar on her side?