The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Eventing_mi....check w/ BFNE...I can share I buy usually based of the Walk and how the horse puts itself when they stand, placement of feet legs head neck etc.

Its not how the parts look standing still but how they all work in MOTION.

The biggest precentage will jump well, some exceptional but how they mentally handle the bigger questions can only get answered when the time comes.

Here are a few more to add to your shopping list....I would look as soon as FH is over and a few more of mine are sold!!!

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=279

Nice balance good age and size..

One photo give a different impression of ankle..but good age size and price would add him to you look at list

Not a lot to pick at, bet he's a very nice mover

Its more of a marraige, a true partnership that is part talent, part heart and part true grit.
    DO go yourself and let your gut direct you. Let the horse speak to the inner eye and you.
    Sure I can and do sell to sight unseen buyers and so far all have worked out for them, but if it was me and I had just suffered an emotional blow w/ my horse, I would want to touch my new potential partner before signing on the dotted line...Best of luck...
    Last edited by judybigredpony; Oct. 15, 2012 at 08:41 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

OP, you have a good eye.
    Where do you live? I would pass on some info about where I bought my youngsters if it is not too far from you.
    Sorry you are shopping under sad circumstances.

IF you do decide to buy sight unseen, I highly recommend jenarby as a point of contact. (She was the first to find Echo). A friend just bought sight unseen with her help and he is CUTE and SWEET. I will tell you he was very reserved when he first got here (he's wintering in my barn) and I bet he would have been shy at the track too, so it would have been hard to see his true personality. But he is blossoming a the barn with a very sweet personality. And although I haven't worked with her personally, I would not hesitate to take any advice JBRP had, I learn something from every post she writes and would love to follow her around the barn a time or two. PM or call for more thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post

Not a lot to pick at, bet he's a very nice mover
    This one was recommended to me by the CANTER reps as well.

53 ANY TIME ANY TIME....

I like Steubenville's balance the most. He is very well built. I like Big Daddy's fury, but it sounds like the trainer is suspect. Pahinui is also nice, some muscle would do him good. George is long backed and relatively unbalanced, and JT Morgan's hind legs are questionable at best...

If I had the room right now I'd definitely be picking up Stuebenville. He's gorgeous, Though I like Pauhini and Daddy's Fury as welll. But I've been drooling over Stuebenville for awhile.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

I know this post was from a while back but my friend bought Big Daddy's Fury and he broke down in a week. Veterinary opinion said he would not make it as a riding horse with all the lamenesses he has. He was sent back. Even when my friend bought him he was still listed for sale as not sold and is still for sale. BEWARE!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking711 View Post
    I know this post was from a while back but my friend bought Big Daddy's Fury and he broke down in a week. Veterinary opinion said he would not make it as a riding horse with all the lamenesses he has. He was sent back. Even when my friend bought him he was still listed for sale as not sold and is still for sale. BEWARE!
    Yet another reason to avoid Mark Bliss.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I bought Big Daddy's Fury over a year ago. He was extremely lame and I still have the records of my vet doing an evaluation on him. The poor horse, he had such a good mind.
    Mark Bliss was an absolute ***hole and he was a pain to work with. It took months for him to take the horse back, and I only got a fraction back of what I paid for him, not to mention that I had to pay board and vet fees during that time when I had him.
    DO NOT EVER USE MARK BLISS!!!

I guess I don't understand why you bought a horse you knew was lame. The fact the dude took it back was pretty lucky for you, actually. Most of the time, if you take it home, it's yours.

2 members found this post helpful.

I didn't know the horse was lame. I did a lameness exam on him immediately after I got him. He claimed to be sound and the horse was delivered in very different condition than was originally stated.
    Regardless, my intent of the post was to share my bad experience was Mark Bliss so someone else can avoid a bad experience, and to avoid purchasing the horse.

For what it's worth, we no longer list horses from that individual.

(as for horses still being listed for sale when they've been purchased, we depend on trainers updating us to take them down, or buyers doing that. So sometimes horses are sold and stay on the website a while if no one updates us between us cleaning the listings)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    For what it's worth, we no longer list horses from that individual.
    I contacted Canter shortly after it happened and received a response that they were in the process of doing exactly that. Thanks!

Ok, sorry, it sounded like the horse was lame during the PPE and you took it home anyway! I am sorry you had such a bad experience. He certainly has a terrible reputation around here and I hope you are able to find a sounder horse. I recommend working with a respected reseller to help you evaluate prospects on the track. I just bought a horse and had judybigredpony look at it for me, which was well worth the money as people like jbrp have a lot of connections on the track and can get more info about horses that we outsiders just won't have access to. Plus, she has decades of experience. My new horse is very sound and just as she described, maybe even nicer than she told me he was. I see that you are posting links to CANTER horses....I really think it's a good idea to loop someone like her in to your shopping plans to help ward off this kind of thing! there are no guarantees but it helps. Good luck!

I would say we are sorry....BUT we warned you to avoid him...and that was fact not fiction....Google his name, he has a HUGE long list of people with same or worse experiences!!!

Poor horse...any hope of him ever being usable??b

Unfortunately I had not looked at any posts on here before I bought that horse... I didn't even know this site existed at the time.
    Thank you, fordtraktor...I certainly learned my lesson though!!

Not sure about the horse, judybigredpony..he's not mine anymore!