The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help evaluating these CANTER cuties...

So, I might be in the market for a new pony (long painful story - please don't ask), and I have very little money to spend. I do have experience taking horses off the track, so that's where I'm looking to start. Ideally, I'd like something 15.3+, with a nice length of neck and shoulder because I have a tall upper body. I definitely want a good mover and a good brain - I'm pretty good at calming the hotter ones down, but I don't care for spooky. I've been eyeing the following CANTER cuties, and I'd love yiur collective opinions on both conformation as well as pedigree in terms of temperment and suitability. I don't have aspirations beyond Training, but I definitely want to be competitive.

Btw, those of you in the know, what's up with the $2499 price tags? Seems like an odd number to me.

George http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=279

Steubbenville http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=279

Pahinui http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=279

JT Morgan http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=279

Big Daddy's Fury http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=279
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

probably limited to under 2500. Really....good looking bunch. I wouldn't think you are nuts to take on any of them. One quick glance...I'd lean toward #2 or #3. But liked them all.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Drooling over Steubenville!!!
    Big Daddy's Fury is quite cute too, and looks like he'd be capable of going Training. He looks a little like my guy that also has Marquetry in him.
    I would do offers if you decide upon any of them - the fact that you can get a really nice OTTB for under $1,000, I'd really offer lower on the $2499 and $2,000 prices...if they're willing to place quickly, they may go lower...the economy sucks right now!!!
    Good luck!

My favorite is Pahinui. I like his over all balance. Looks like an athletic guy.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Default Sorry to hear Eventer MI

I am crazy about Stuebenville, And really like Big Daddy.
    It is a toss up. Gosh I forget there is such cute off the track stuff out there.
    Let us know how things progress.
    I need to not look at these,
    No more horses... no more horses..
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Default horse shopping

Whoever you choose, make an offer, I was in the market to buy a $3500 horse, I ended up buying two, both were on the market for $3500, one was worth it but I fell in love with both. Got one for $1500 and the other who has some low level jump training and dressage up to training level, sound, sane, calm with everything but responsive for $2000. What more could I want? The first is a quarter pony 14.1cremello with a doll baby, loving temperament btw. This is a very difficult market here, maybe more than other places, but this is my recent experience.

My choice is JT Morgan because of the write up on his temperament. What neckline but looks a little unbalanced in the photos which are often very deceptive. I would look at him in person. Last horse looks a bit upright in the shoulder, probably can swing it fine but not my type.

Sorry about your last horse but keep your eye on the prize. I have had some really rotten and sad things happen with the last 3 that I had but I have two that I am in love with now, it passes, you learn a life lesson and you can go on.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Stubbenville and Big Daddy's Fury are my picks. That said, Big Daddy's trainer doesn't have a good rep, but I like the horse and the pedigree.

George looks nice enough, but he has extreme low heel/ long toe itis.

JT looks post legged behind.

The bay is too long and light in the cannons for my taste.

I liked Steubenville as well. I emailed and they said the had no video. Which sucks. They are 3 hours from me, Carlisle PA. eventer_mi where are you located?

I love Steubenville out of that bunch.

JT Morgan would be my second pick, although his neck could tie in a bit better and he is straight behind. Big Daddy's Fury looks quite athletic, if somewhat downhill.

Even George and Pahinui may very well look like completely different horses once they've built muscle in the right places.

[I notice the blaze-faced chestnut trend, though. Hope yours is okay. ]
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

I would jump at #2 - Steubenville. He is a good bit bigger than you said you wanted, but his body is gorgeous. And with those pasterns I think he would have really comfy gaits. I'm guessing with only a handful of starts he was just too slow or lacked desire? That might be beneficial if looking for a LL even-keel sort.

Updates please! Lots of lots of them.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Buildingthegrove.blogspot
    The Grove at Five Points

Default Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    I would jump at #2 - Steubenville. He is a good bit bigger than you said you wanted, but his body is gorgeous. And with those pasterns I think he would have really comfy gaits. I'm guessing with only a handful of starts he was just too slow or lacked desire? That might be beneficial if looking for a LL even-keel sort.

Updates please! Lots of lots of them.
    He seems to be the first pick of most who have looked.
    Love him.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Pahinui stands out as the most balanced and harmonious.

JT Morgan's hind suspensories look questionable to me-- might be how he's standing and pics are so subjective, but those fetlocks appear to be dropping a bit low behind. What a nice group you've chosen--I like Steubbenville, too- very fancy!

Pahinui
    Click here before you buy.

#2 and # 3...the bottom guy OK but seller NO WAY Mark Bliss....like others check out previous threads on him.

I do believe JT was Sold..per previous thread...

Sale price cap is limited to lowest claim tag @ track.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow those are some nice looking guys! I like Big Daddy's Fury, Steubenville and Pahinui
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Very sorry to hear you're pony shopping
    I also really like the look of #2 and #3.
    You've always had a good eye for horses.
    Are you doing this sight unseen or coming up to see and vet in person?
    If you're coming up stop by on your way! Better yet, overnight at our farm on the way home!

eventer_mi is offline Our Lady of Perpetual Novice
    Original Poster

While I don't want to go into the WHY I'm horse shopping (too painful right now, too many unknowns), I want to thank everybody for their responses so far. Steubenville will probably be my first pick, and then Pahninui (I think with muscle on those lanky bones will turn him into quite a looker). I WILL be coming to look in person if at all possible, or I'll send a proxy (I'm a full-time teacher, so getting time off is nearly impossible for me) - any takers? I'd be willing to pay for your time!

I haven't done this for many, many moons. I need a good mover in case said pony doesn't want to jump the sticks. How do you all evaluate potential jumping ability/willingness in an OTTB? I know there are no guarantees, but do you look for something in particular? I will hopefully be talking to the grooms and exercise riders to assess temperment and willingness to "play" (ie come to work every day with a good attitude!), but anything else?

Thanks! And yes, I guess I have a thing for chestnuts with white faces. My heart horse is a chestnut - never liked them before until him.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

eventer_mi sending you a PM

Hopefully the fact you posted them here doesn't mean they are gone before you can look... I liked Steubenville by FAR the most from the pics. The others are all a bit long in the back with hind ends I don't love from the pictures. Of course, that's pictures taken by a volunteer with limited time and horses who don't always want to cooperate on getting set up, not professionally posed photos - it's very possible others could be nice in person. I'd think just going to see whoever is closest and checking out the other available horses while you're at it may be your best bet - it's very possible you'll find a good match who isn't listed or looks like a loser from their ad but is great in person.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed