The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AHS inspection in Houston area tomorrow - here's the list of horses

Come join us for the Hanoverian inspection tomorrow for the Houston area. It will be held at 8:30 am at Creek Colony Ranch in Richmond, TX. Address is 6703 Creek Colony Dr, Richmond, TX 77469

Here is a link to the printed program showing the mares and foals for the inspection and the futurities.

http://www.sonestafarms.com/images/misc/program2012.pdf.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Nice mix. Hope you have a great day.

Have fun, and can't wait to see pictures
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    USEF National ID and Horse Recording Task Force; USHJA Jumper Breeding Ad Hoc Committee

It looks like the weather is going to be beautiful too. I can't wait to see pictures, I hope everyone has a great time.

I'm here with my Cabalito colt. A great bunch of horses and super nice people!
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

What did the #17 filly look like?

What a very long day. Just got home. Lots of very nice horses. Here are results: I will just list numbers and scores. You can find out more about each horse by going to the link above for the program.

Non-Hanoverian Mares for Inspection:

#247 Final Score 7.5 and Champion non-hano mare
    #248 Final Score 7.16

Hanoverian Mares for Inspection:

#246 Final Score 7.5 and Champion Hanoverian Mare
    #244 Final Score 7.16
    #249 Final Score 7.33

Mare Performance Test:

#247 (Non-Hano mare entered last minute into the MPT just to see her strengths & weaknesses for choosing stallion for her) Final Score 7.25 and CHAMPION of the mare performance testing [This was a VERY NICE MARE!!!]

#244 Final Score 7.16 Because she also had a foal on her side [which was extremely well behaved while his mother was doing her testing] this mare became an Elite Mare

#245 Final Score 7.19 & Elite Mare Candidate

#246 Just did the free-jumping portion of her test this year and will do under saddle portion next year.

Foals:

Foals don't get scores but the Champion Colt was #12 and Champion Filly was #16

There were some gorgeous foals in this inspection.

Someone asked about #17. Because I knew others would ask, I wrote down as much of the inspector's comments as I could in short version. Here they are: "neck a bit under developed, a bit butt high right now, really hollows out her back in the trot, quite out behind (maybe because of being butt high), correct legs, pretty filly"

My own impressions were that I was very unimpressed. Maybe the filly was at an awkward stage of development, but she seemed very long in the back, with a deep, almost swaybacked look. Very out behind and the movement was odd in front with flinging her front legs out high but not in what looked like a good way. Maybe the great Totilas looked like this as a foal, so maybe she will grow into a nice dressage horse, but you would never guess it from what I saw today.

Without trying to get them to comment about the good or bad, I asked the inspectors if this filly was typical of what they are seeing from Totilas's foals so far and they said that she was. Both here and in Germany.

So, bottom line is that we'll have to wait and see if these foals mature into show horses like their sire. And if so, then we'll know that you can't judge their future performance from their appearance/movement as foals. And if they do not, then we know that Totilas is, indeed, a freak.
    Last edited by Sonesta; Oct. 15, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by JenRose View Post
    I'm here with my Cabalito colt. A great bunch of horses and super nice people!
    Your Cabalito colt was GORGEOUS! Looked so much like his sire!

We had two Totilas foals at our Hanoverian inspection and one of them ended up Dressage foal champion.

One was unimpressive, IMO, considering the sire, while the other was indeed something (but I believe the mare was better as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    #247 (Non-Hano mare entered last minute into the MPT just to see her strengths & weaknesses for choosing stallion for her) Final Score 7.25 and CHAMPION of the testing and Elite Mare Candidate [This was a VERY NICE MARE!!!]
    I'm pretty certain that "non-Hanoverian" mares do not qualify for the AHS's Elite Mare program.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

Thanks very much for posting the results and your impressions.

"Champion colt #12; champion filly #16." Both of those numbers are listed as colts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Hickory View Post
    I'm pretty certain that "non-Hanoverian" mares do not qualify for the AHS's Elite Mare program.
    Arrgghhh, of course you are right. I was cutting and pasting to save some typing time.

She was champion of the MPT, but is NOT an Elite Mare Candidate. Will go edit that right now.

Thanks for pointing out my boo-boo.
    Last edited by Sonesta; Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post

Someone asked about #17. Because I knew others would ask, I wrote down as much of the inspector's comments as I could in short version. Here they are: "neck a bit under developed, a bit butt high right now, really hollows out her back in the trot, quite out behind (maybe because of being butt high), correct legs, pretty filly"

My own impressions were that I was very unimpressed. Maybe the filly was at an awkward stage of development, but she seemed very long in the back, with a deep, almost swaybacked look. Very out behind and the movement was odd in front with flinging her front legs out high but not in what looked like a good way. Maybe the great Totilas looked like this as a foal, so maybe she will grow into a nice dressage horse, but you would never guess it from what I saw today.

Without trying to get them to comment about the good or bad, I asked the inspectors if this filly was typical of what they are seeing from Totilas's foals so far and they said that she was. Both here and in Germany.

So, bottom line is that we'll have to wait and see if these foals mature into show horses like their sire. And if so, then we'll know that you can't judge their future performance from their appearance/movement as foals. And if they do not, then we know that Totilas is, indeed, a freak.
    I wouldn't count out that Totilas foal. Her dam is one if the best mares in the country receiving 10/10/10 wtc or something insane like that and won just about every big mare show in Germany. Not every foal looks good through all the awkward stages.

And remember we have never seen Totilas at liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Thanks very much for posting the results and your impressions.

"Champion colt #12; champion filly #16." Both of those numbers are listed as colts.
    #16 was a misprint on the program. #16 was a filly.

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    I wouldn't count out that Totilas foal. Her dam is one if the best mares in the country receiving 10/10/10 wtc or something insane like that and won just about every big mare show in Germany. Not every foal looks good through all the awkward stages.

And remember we have never seen Totilas at liberty.
    Yes, I am absolutely aware of that and thus my qualifications on my comments. All I could give were the impressions of the foal before my eyes. The dam is LOVELY. And maybe this foal turns out like her sire. It just wasn't evident by looking at her. That's all.

We had a great day. Meg Williams does such a nice job with her comments. Thank you Rebecca for your efforts.

As usual, it was great fun. And very nice batch of horses.

And your thoughts on 146, 147 ?

I know both of them :-)

147, 12 and 245 are from the same mareline that origins from Kareen of Germanhorseconnection.com in Germany who also posts here.

Congrats to Jan !
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    2017: Lissaro - SPS Don Frederico - Prince Thatch and Finnigan - Sandro Hit - Rouletto

Tiny correction regarding the two Totilas foals at the Canadian inspection. The one Totilas colt that was among the callbacks from the 27 foals attending, was judged a "stallion prospect" and best mover, but was not either Champion or Reserve. His dam has been a top mare in Canada. She is by Donnerhall, Elite, winner of her MPT as a youngster, and Champion Mare that same year in Canada. All her foals have been good.

Tad off topic, do you remember the rest of the Canadian Donnerhall pedigree? My mares first foal was by Donnerhall in Canada and I've been trying to find info on her.